Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 pm

That’s worth a try - but for me I’m a bit concerned about phenoxyethanol and perfume (not necessarily a problem for anyone else)

All the little skin problems I thought were just routine ageing as well as the more serious things like rosacea and contract dermatitis have cleared up after 100 days without contact with any toiletries or household cleaning products I had any doubts about. Even my finger nails have stopped splitting - and I’ve done loads of housework and gardening. It’s a dermatological exclusion diet.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:22 am

scullion wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:Sorry to bring my question to the fore again.... anyone got any advice/suggestions ?

i think i would be inclined to separate and put them somewhere dry for the next month or so and then plant them again in august/september. if you've got some good compost (or well rotted horse manure). spread/rake that in now, in the place you're going to plant them, or on the surface after you've planted them.

Thanks Scully, that was my kind of thinking :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:01 pm

I have tried Norwegian formula, L'Occitaine shea butter intensive hand balm and Eucerin UreaRepair Plus - the stuff with wee in it ;) Nothing works. I should probably try the old Body Shop suggestion of slathering my hands and wearing cotton gloves to bed, but can't quite bring myself to do it. Not sure if the new skin is working or not, but it's helping. It looks a bit better. But I suspect the cracks will come back as soon as I stop using it. The tiny fissures on the pads of my thumbs are weird (surely?!?). No dryness or hardness. They look like little papercuts, but painless.

I do feel the lateral finger cracks related to the old injury. I still have slightly odd skin that peels periodically and feels slightly less sensitive on the end of the finger the tip of which was cut off, about ten years ago. Fingers seem to have long memories for injuries inflicted on them...

Gardeners' World

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:04 pm

The home of gardening queries, tips and resources.

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:09 pm

herbidacious wrote: The tiny fissures on the pads of my thumbs are weird (surely?!?). No dryness or hardness. They look like little papercuts, but painless.

are they on both thumbs? or just the one that you cut veg against with a sharp knife‽

Re: Gardeners' World

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm

i have just harvested my garlic - pathetic - i'm consider it was a way of storing the cloves rather than in the kitchen.
i will be planting baby leeks later today. they have been grown from the bulbules that were produced on the flower head of one last year.

i would have preferred 'the garden centre' rather than 'gardener's world' for a title - there is only one 'gardener's world'!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Yes both thumbs. Plese don't tell me it's a sign of something fatal...

Righ tblighted tomato plant bagged and disposed of. Ditto three mildewed courgettes.

Other courgettes now looking iffy. They acutally look like they have blight?!? Can they get that?

Marigolds have mildew badly as do sweet peas.

i am beginning to think it's me that's blighted...

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Quick question, is it "normal" for Autumny leaves to drop off our large flowering cherry in the middle of Summer? It's otherwise incredibly healthy looking!

Thx :D

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:33 pm

it has been quite dry!
we've had an autumny effect from a load of ivy leaves growing through a tree - now scattered on a path.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:08 pm

I’ve seen cherries lose a few ‘autumny’ leaves in the summer in other years. I wouldn’t be overly concerned unless you think it’s very dry at the roots, in which case I’d give it a few gallons once a week for the next few weeks.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks Suffs!

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Soooo blight is affecting my courgettes and sunflowers now too :twisted: Attack of the Killer Alternaria...

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Blight on courgettes and sunflowers ... can’t be ... they’re not in the solanum family ... possibly Powdery Mildew?

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:52 pm

They can both have types of altenaria, Suffs. Altenaria helianthus and Alternaria cucumerina. I could be wrong but they look more blighty than the tomatoes Bullseye black spots. I am evidently unlucky enough to have three types of alternaria in my garden.
I have powdery mildew on my sweet peas, older pea plants, marigolds and mangetout as well, and just disposed of three mildewed courgette plants.

I am going to try neem oil on my courgettes. Sunflowers are mostly almost done anyway.

The only thing that really upsets me is the tomatoes, and the sweet peas a bit. But I am still getting my daily bunch or two of sweetpeas. I put a couple of springs of honeysuckle and jasmine in with them this evening. The smell is heavenly.
Thing is it seems likely that the diseases will spread to my other Solanaceae plants - peppers, aubergines and inca berries, and the mildew to the cucumbers and pumpkins. Will put some neem oil on the cucumbers as well and the pumplins when they are a bit bigger. It mainly attacks older leaves?

Good thing I am not growing Nicotiana!

Another new dahlia out again today. Again smaller than it should be, but pretty.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:14 am

A poppy question..... I had a glorious show of huge headed poppies earlier in the summer. He was instructed not to pull them up after flowering. The stems and seed heads have now totally dried up and yesterday I decanted the seeds into a carrier bag and removed the old dried out plants.

My question is, can these seeds be used for cooking or is that a different genus entirely ??? They do look the same and I sometimes add poppy seed to my slaws.

I don't want to poison anyone......!

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:55 am

Fungal infections flourish where plants are grown too closely together ... maybe next year grow fewer, space them out more and make your life easier :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am

My sunflowers and courgettes are all in pots and not close to each other or anything much. I don't think it's my fault, Suffs. Just unlucky and the weather.

Tomatoes, yes, will grow further apart. The quadgrow system forees them together but I can put two on each tank rather than four. That said growing them together does help with support. I should prune next year too, so that might not be so necessary.

Do you know what type of poppies they are, Zosh?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:10 am

Bread seed poppies are papaver somniferum the same as the opium poppy, though different strains are used and harvested differently (and you don’t generally get usable amounts of opium whatever strain you grow in the UK climate)

Gernot Katzer has good pics and info of course
http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/e ... a_som.html

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:15 am

A friend has had big-flowered poppies on display in pots in her small front garden (terraced house, just a couple of feet feet between front wall and house). The other day she noticed a 'hoodied' lad leaning over the wall. As she is disabled, she couldn't run to the door or window quickly enough to shout at him. She has seen him several times now and the poppy seed heads have gradually all been cut off. He didn't really look like an avid botanist, we wondered about some form of opium. Is that feasible?
(Not suggesting that Zosh sets up an opium den of course!).

Just seen your reply Sue!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:20 am

He almost certainly thinks he’s harvesting opioids
But he’ll probably try smoking the seeds and in that case all he will get is some rather acrid smoke I expect :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff