Register

What Would YOU Expect From A £10 Breakfast?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What Would YOU Expect From A £10 Breakfast?

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:02 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
I think I would expect the following:
3 rashers good bacon
3 good-sized sausages
2 eggs - either fried or scrambled
A good portion of tinned tomatoes
A good portion of baked beans
2 hash browns
3 whole slices of either toast or bread & butter
Enough tea for 2 large mugfulls.

and how is your diet going, grassy‽

there is no way i would/could eat, or expect that much. i don't think i've ever had tinned tomatoes (only ever fresh) in a 'full english' (albeit veg version) and i would like mushrooms instead of the baked beans and a couple of slices less of the toast.
in 'normal times' we go for the occasional breakfast at the beach café and the full veg option (includes homemade glamorgan sausages) i think, costs around the £8 mark excluding drinks. it definitely doesn't contain as much as grasshopper's but is plenty for all of us.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:24 pm

My worst hotel breakfast ever was in Brighton. Slightly warmed tinned tomatoes were involved.

My husband will never eat his (fresh) grilled, I assume, tomatoes when he has a big breakfast out. I can understand why. They are rarely nice. Poor quality tomatoes, then just put under the grill to brown the top a bit but often not cooked through or even hot.

The last breakfast out I had was in little chateau in Normandy. Lots of it, including eggs (can't remember what format. We had to take a bit of obligatory Normandy ham off the top), yoghurt with granola, loads of fruit, toast, pastries, soft cheese, local butter, homemade conserves. I did my best with it ;) As a vegetarian, you never know where your next meal is coming from in Normandy. And it was delicious.

In fact, if anyone needs a stop over en route, or is just going for an overnighter shopping trip (I am sure over people do this too?!) I would heartily recommend Castel des Anges, Wailly-Beaucamp. I hope to go back some time. (In fact might have done in August were Eurostunnel/shuttle not charging £450ish for a return trip of any length...)

http://casteldesanges.free.fr/

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Hash browns?? We´ll be asking for blueberry pancakes with bacon and maple syrup next!! :lol: :lol:
And what´s all this "toast" thing? What ever happened to good old fried bread, fried in bacon fat? :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Oh gosh I love fried bread but it has to be cooked in lard until it's crispy.

The talk of Eggs Benedict reminds me of a lovely restaurant at Westfield, Shepherd's Bush. Theyre's is to die for. It looks like they haven't survived however.

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/bal ... nts-052820

The chain I really don't like for breakfast is Bill's. Overpriced and nothing special.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:38 pm

I think you’ll find that hash browns have already been rejected and a preference for fried bread stated.

But you still need toast and marmalade to follow. An English breakfast is a three course meal, not one dish.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:54 pm

I think if it was a £10 brek I'd like two perfect poached duck eggs on home-made sourdough toast with mashed avocado and two equally perfect crispy bacon rashers on the side. Accomapnied by a glass of proper champers. :yum

As for a full English, for me it would be:

Two bacon rashers
Scrambled egg
Two sausages
Grilled tomatoes
Mushrooms
Fried bread

And a very large mug of tea.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Hmm, £10 isn't much food if that proportion will be up to about 35%, so how much can one buy for £3.50? I'd say a lot, easily enough for a loaded plateful, but perhaps not if a decent mug of ground coffee is included which would mean shaving either the amount or the quality. Depends on whether counter service or table cloth menu service though.

One large egg and half a slice of toast fills me up, or an all day version that takes me all day to eat it :lol:

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:12 pm

you could always go upmarket from the greasy spoon full english to something like this.

Postby Busybee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Whilst expensive I’d love that, but I’d go for an afternoon tea not breakfast.

We stayed not far from here once, Penpol, loved the accommodation- it came with its own private slipway, we borrowed a boat from my Dads friend who lives in Gorran Haven and had much fun on the river.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:44 pm

You have a good point there BB. Up until I retired I was a great breakfast girl, particularly after my early morning swim. Not so much so now. Nisha’s Huevos Rancheros are more of a brunch treat and I think given the choice I might substitute afternoon tea for one of my meals. I tend to only eat two a day now.

Postby Busybee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:18 pm

I had a full English on Sunday, but at 1pm and didn’t feel the need to eat again until mid evening, and that was just cheese and crackers.

Something like that eaten at breakfast time would mean I didn’t eat at lunchtime at all.

I’m the same about afternoon tea though, if I have one then I don’t eat again that day - certainly don’t need an evening meal.

BB

Postby Binky » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:08 pm

herbidacious, you might already know this but other posters could find it useful: if you are buying wine in quantity (say for a party/wedding/christmas) then Calais Wine Warehouse and Majestic Wine in Calais both offer free Eurotunnel crossings. Minimum spend £400 for a day trip, and £550 (?) for an overnight stay.

https://www.majesticwinecalais.co.uk/tr ... ine-calais

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:09 pm

scullion wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
I think I would expect the following:
3 rashers good bacon
3 good-sized sausages
2 eggs - either fried or scrambled
A good portion of tinned tomatoes
A good portion of baked beans
2 hash browns
3 whole slices of either toast or bread & butter
Enough tea for 2 large mugfulls.

and how is your diet going, grassy‽

there is no way i would/could eat, or expect that much. i don't think i've ever had tinned tomatoes (only ever fresh) in a 'full english' (albeit veg version) and i would like mushrooms instead of the baked beans and a couple of slices less of the toast.
in 'normal times' we go for the occasional breakfast at the beach café and the full veg option (includes homemade glamorgan sausages) i think, costs around the £8 mark excluding drinks. it definitely doesn't contain as much as grasshopper's but is plenty for all of us.

TBH even I would struggle nowadays with the amount of food I suggested :oops: , BUT I suppose it would be healthier if the meat was grilled, the eggs scrambled and the HBs oven baked.

There's a cafe in Halifax that does a humdinger of an all day breakfast, the sort that would fill a burly builder, for less than £10.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:54 pm

For me the answer to the question would be........

INDIGESTION :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 am

:lol: :lol: Agreed!

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:33 am

You can make a decent breakfast without going too mad with calories. Poached eggs and grilled (no added fat) bacon on a toasted (unbuttered) muffin with some mushrooms poached in a wee bit of stock on the side is lovely. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Binky » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:46 am

I'm not big on breakfast and find hotel ones hit-and-miss. There's a favourite of mine in York which does an English breakfast with veggie sausage and will leave out the black pudding on request. Fruit juice, yogurt, cereal and tea/coffee if you want it. This is £8 (or was the last time I went)

OH loves his breakfast. A three course affair for him. Cereal to start, then fried tofu, tomato and an egg, followed by toast and marmalade. He then sits with coffee until I appear on the scene for my fruit plate, then cereal, and that's me done.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:05 pm

£4 change.

Postby Busybee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:09 pm

:lol: :lol: Sakkarin!

Binky, where in York is your recommended breakfast place?

Thanks BB

Postby Binky » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:46 pm

This https://www.bb-york.com/

It used to be called St Peters Hotel (that's the street it's on) and was family run until taken over by the B&B Hotel Group. It's on a quiet backstreet, with free parking and walking distance of York centre (20 mins amble). I used to stay there when visiting my mum before she went into a care home, so it's two years since I was there last and I hope it hasn't changed overmuch.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox