Register

What Would YOU Expect From A £10 Breakfast?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What Would YOU Expect From A £10 Breakfast?

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:36 pm

In one of the papers today there's a story about a lady who ordered a vegan breakfast at Center Parcs. She was charged £9.99 for a few scratty bits. Her OH's 'full english', which was the same price, didn't look to be worth the money either.

If YOU were paying £10 for a breakfast - whether served at breakfast-time or one of those all-day ones, what sort of food would you expect? And how much of it?

I think I would expect the following:
3 rashers good bacon
3 good-sized sausages
2 eggs - either fried or scrambled
A good portion of tinned tomatoes
A good portion of baked beans
2 hash browns
3 whole slices of either toast or bread & butter
Enough tea for 2 large mugfulls.

That lot would keep me full all day!
:yum
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Re: What Would YOU Expect From A £10 Breakfast?

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:48 pm

For that price here in Manchester I wouldn’t expect that much food from somewhere with top quality ingredients. This is the menu for my favourite breakfast spot https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58f9f3ae6a49637db3f9b4f9/t/5efda8304aaa6654f7030bca/1593681969337/Brunch+July+2020.pdf

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 pm

I think for a tenner it should be an "as much as I want" buffet.

EDIT: and I would have, borrowing Grasshopper's list:

2 rashers good bacon
2 proper sausages
1 egg - fried
half a fried fresh tomato
A small portion of baked beans
2 hash browns*
1 slice of toast & butter*
Enough tea for 1.5 mugfulls.

and Mushrooms.

*or 1 hash/2 toast

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Our local Harvester do unlimited food and drink breakfasts for £10. Don’t think their sausages and bacon are particularly good quality (according to my OH) but we do go on occasion.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:08 pm

God , no way could I eat two hash browns and three slices of toast , never mind the rest !! I think it’s very hard to answer that . It depends where you live and the type of quality you want . Go to a little greasy spoon and you’d probably get all that for a tenner easy.

Somewhere with good quality meat , maybe 2 sausages , 2 bacon , 2 eggs , beans /tomato , 2 toast and a hot drink ? I’m not a massive full English fan , I’d rather have something like shakshuka if I’m eating out .

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:21 pm

Things are more expensive than they used to be. I assume we're talking ordinary cafe or chain, not an expensive hotel.
A lot of the breakfast buffets cost around that sum nowadays I think - the sort where you pick a certain number of items from a wider choice of the usuals. Garden centre/farm shop type places are quite good as the quality of produce is usually high.

A real treat for me when out for breakfast is toast and marmalade, even if I have been served one slice of toast I keep half for the egg yolk and half for marmalade. A lot of places serve a 'fry up' OR toast and marmalade and won't let you have marmalade without paying more. I would rather have fewer items first and then have marmalade.

So for my tenner I'd like 2 nice sausages, one egg (fried or poached), tomato, mushrooms (neither tinned) and ideally half a slice of fried bread and a whole slice of toast with butter and marmalade. And endless coffee.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:24 pm

I agree Amy.
If we are away J will often have a full English, I prefer something lighter.
Smoked fish with a poached egg or scrambled eggs and toast does me - as long as the tea and coffee are good.

To answer Grassy's question, for £10 I would expect.
A glass of juice
A couple of slices of good bacon
2 quality sausages
Eggs cooked however I fancy them
Mushrooms
Black pud
Half a grilled tomato
Proper toast, none of your pappy sliced bread
Good tea or coffee

Postby Renee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:02 am

smitch wrote:For that price here in Manchester I wouldn’t expect that much food from somewhere with top quality ingredients. This is the menu for my favourite breakfast spot https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58f9f3ae6a49637db3f9b4f9/t/5efda8304aaa6654f7030bca/1593681969337/Brunch+July+2020.pdf

What a great menu they have there Smitch. You are lucky to have a place like that.

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 am

There’s a big difference between an ‘all day breakfast’ at a truckstop or similar and a full English at a holiday resort.

For me a full English would be ...

Fresh orange juice or half a fresh grapefruit

2 butcher’s sausages and 2 dry cured rashers of bacon
A couple of generous pieces of black pudding

I would expect grilled fresh tomatoes ... (not tinned :shock: )

Grilled mushrooms ... hopefully larger open cup ones, not little button mushrooms.

I don’t like baked beans for breakfast so they can leave them off my plate, and I also dislike frozen hash browns ... they have no place on my English breakfast plate ... I prefer small boiled potatoes sliced and fried in bacon fat. If not available then I’d rather have fried bread than hash browns

1 egg ... I usually prefer it fried

To be followed by a couple of pieces of toast and marmalade ... and of course plenty of fresh coffee ... or tea if that’s your preference.

I think I’d better go for breakfast with EM :newhuggy :mug:

Postby Busybee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:04 am

For me it would be:

2 sausage
2 bacon
Fresh mushrooms
Baked beans
Black pudding
1 egg - fried

Plus toast and marmalade

I would expect to pay extra for a drink - always tea, preferably a tea pot full.

In fact I had all of the above when we ventured out for our first post lockdown meal out on Sunday morning. The breakfast was £8.50 and the tea £2.50. All good quality produce from the local butcher and her own farm eggs. It really hit the mark.

Interestingly, it was her third weekend of opening ( they are only open Friday to Monday) and the first time she had been busy with a steady stream of people. By far the most popular dish has been breakfasts, she said it seemed to be the thing people had most missed from eating out. Whilst we were there the only things being ordered were breakfasts and still warm from the oven scones. On her first open weekend she served three customers all day, thankfully it looks as if people are feeling a bit more confident, although we elected to eat outside just like every else that was there.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:07 am

My inner child is still laughing at Grandads sausage on Smitch’s menu. :oops: :lol:

No baked beans for breakfast here either.

Postby smitch » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 am

Pepper Pig wrote:My inner child is still laughing at Grandads sausage on Smitch’s menu. :oops: :lol:

No baked beans for breakfast here either.

It always makes me laugh too, they’re a local company I think and appear on a few menus round here :lol:

I hate baked beans so they’ve definitely got no place on my breakfast plate.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am

i think £10 is a steal to have everything laid on for you.

I never have a full english, never really liked it. Even Grandad's sausages don't seduce me :lol:

But for a tenner, I expect unlimited coffee, croissant, orange juice, yoghurt and fresh fruit.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:48 am

I don’t usually eat a “cooked breakfast” out in a cafe or restaurant and if I do I don’t eat a “full English” but I’m more likely to have a brunch which will probably cost around £10 - the last time I had one I spent £10.50 on the Damascus breakfast at my local Middle Eastern cafe which includes fried eggs and merguez sausages along with other stuff (not that merguez are in any way Syrian) - here’s the menu (pdf)

https://www.215hackney.co.uk/static/215 ... 980576.pdf

I do eat a fair amount of hotel breakfasts, and if it’s not included with the room you get charged £7 - 11 Many places seem to have taken to slow roasting the tomatoes, which is better for staff and eaters imo. The last one I had was in Ireland, it was about €10 if not included and was table service, you had unlimited toast, brown soda bread cereals, fruit, juice then a plate of cooked food - I had the mini which was one of everything sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding, white pudding, tomato :yum

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 am

I think it’s more like 15 pounds or euros in hotels I’ve been in. Although I don't stay in hotels often. They do t feel like value for money though especially as I don’t really eat breakfast full stop. It takes my metabolism an hour and a half to two to wake up.
I am not sure I could eat Grassy’s breakfast quantity wise, even a veggie version, in one sitting at any time of day.
Anyway no idea what to expect for a tenner. A lot less than suggested, in London except maybe in a greasy spoon. (A dying breed.)

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:55 am

The best breakfast I’ve had lately was at our gym cafe. I have mentioned Nisha Parmar before, she was a Mastermind semi-finalists a couple of years ago. Her Huevos Rancheros are to die for. 8-) 8-)

https://www.nourishbynisha.co.uk/Nouris ... a-Menu.pdf
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:20 am

Now we're talking! 3/6d for the fryup!

Although technically at 1950 prices it was extremely expensive, as the average wage was thruppence a month.

One menu I found had "Virol with milk" as a beverage. I think I'll put that in the Beverages section...

https://uk-menu-archives.co.uk/wp-conte ... on-Egg.jpg

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:21 am

Such a 21st century menu PP! ( but very nice).

Postby aero280 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:35 am

When I was working, a full English was a regular follow-on to an early site meeting. It’s only a real one if it’s in a workman’s cafe though!

In the mid-eighties, when a cafe breakfast was around £3.50, we found that our office canteen could do the same for a lot less. They said that they only had to cover the cost of the food because all the overheads were covered by the lunch serving, which was what they were employed to provide. So we had a “double breakfast”. Twice the serving of everything! Including two mugs of tea and four slices of bread and butter. It cost 75p :D it came on a big oval plate...

Postby mistakened » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 am

Never tinned tomatoes at breakfast! I once had proper hash browns at a service station on the M4 of all places, I suspect that they had run out of the frozen variety so made them from scratch.

Under normal circumstances our monthly treat is breakfast at the Four Seasons, Limassol. It costs much more than £10 but is worth it. Endless coffee and fruit juice, Deb always has Eggs Benedict, cooked to order, I have Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs, that is self service so I have a good portion of salmon. All baked goods made on the premises. Then there is omelette cook, a formidable Eastern European lady who not only multi tasks but keeps the queue in order.
Did I mention the Prosecco?

I love the thought of your double breakfast, Aero

Moira

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox