Register

Dips etc

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Dips etc

Postby Amber » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:55 am

I just put a teaspoon in the dip, as a subtle ‘hint’. It seems to have worked so far. Or chop the ‘dippy bits’ small enough, so that they’re only able to dip once.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:53 am

Teaspoons work. I certainly use them if they are on offer.

brandade or brandada ... I must investigate and try some! I'm sure I'd love it ...

Badgers may correct me, but the difference between the French and Spanish is potato in the former. Just thick bechamel in the latter, no potato.
This is the texture, with a lovely crispy browned topping. I've made it at home easily enough, but Tony doesn't really like pureed textures.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Amber wrote:I just put a teaspoon in the dip, as a subtle ‘hint’. It seems to have worked so far. Or chop the ‘dippy bits’ small enough, so that they’re only able to dip once.

Yes, I do that too, Amber, and both DSs have been brought up never to double dip! I agree, PP, if there are others who are double dipping I just stop eating. The other thing I do is have my fill very quickly before other people get in on the act and ruin it for me :lol: That way I don't feel I've been deprived :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:50 pm

There's always someone who lets the side down at a buffet. Standing at the table and shovelling in the food without a plate isn't very genteel anyway but we've probably all been in circumstances where it seemed alright at the time!

Sitting beside someone you dont mind sharing with and enjoying 'chips & dip' whilst watching TV is a lovely treat - or being served individual bowls (like Gill's picture :yum) at the table with nice bread - a delight!
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:28 pm

I am totally allergic to double-dippers - can't be doing with them - gross people - it was the reason I stopped going to food fairs/festivals, the Chichester chilli festival in particular - gross..... gross.......!!!

The things my eyes have seen there :crying1

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:19 pm

One of the reasons we go to Benington Lordship chilli festival first thing on the first day is that it is at its quietest then and the samples are clean. I can chat with the stallholders and taste stuff before it has become contaminated. Most people are sensible but some are not of course. Mrs B quite rightly avoids this part and I have to be her official taster.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:15 pm

It used to be like that early on at Chichester Badgers - I could chat to the stallholders, do a bit of networking & buy, it was all very pleasant & interesting - no chance now for many years - it's become a big circus with most not interested in the products at all - just stuffing their faces, with mile - long traffic queues to get in - Ugh! :thumbsdown

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:29 pm

When I was still doing demos, events, gourmet festivals, etc. with my chutneys and conserves, I found the best way to avoid the double dippers was to put a plastic knife, rather than a spoon, in the dish. Wierd, but people are less likely to lick a kinfe than a spoon, so knife, chutney, bread, ok!!
As for the freeloaders: wow, they really are a nuisance at times. You can always spot them. They don´t talk too much; they plant themselves right in the middle of your stand (so no-one else can get a sample, and they´ll continue to stuff their faces all day if you let them. Sometimes, public embarassment worked . "EXCUSE ME BUT ARE YOU GOING TO BUY ANYTHING BECAUSE YOU´VE TASTED EVERYTHING ON THE TABLE THREE TIMES" :shock: :shock:
And sometimes it didn´t.My best weapon was actually a culinary mistake; I made a peperonata and put some fresh habanero chiles in it, just to see. The potency of the chiles increased by about 10,000,000 scoville units, thanks to the oil, and the damn stuff was virtually inedible. Got rid of the freeloaders, mind you. :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:02 am

We were in this place the day we left Rhodes https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... egean.html Had a fab. fish lunch and on the menu was a dip which was made out of yellow split peas stewed with onion, garlic, and cumin, then blitzed to a smooth paste. They serve it with chopped flat leaved parsley and onion on the top. It was delicious and intend to make some on our return to the UK

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 am

yellow split peas stewed with onion, garlic, and cumin, then blitzed to a smooth paste.

I remember pease pudding being described as 'Geordie Hummus'. That annoyed me on two counts, but this seems to have a greater claim to authenticity as a dip!

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:36 am

It's a sign of the times, or perhaps a sign of those times, that nobody has yet mentioned the F word. The word 'fondue' has not yet appeared in a thread about dips. :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 am

It had occured to me. The thought of it always whisks me back to a buffet we went to in the 70s where a homemade 'fish dip' in a fondue maker took pride of place in the middle of the table. It was pretty awful and the only way to eat it was to stand at the table and lean over the other buffet items. It was the first time we really noticed double dipping, not only with bread but also spoons :evil:.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am

KeenCook2 wrote:I've never had brandade or brandada ... I must investigate and try some! I'm sure I'd love it ...

I'll come with you ;) ... just had to look to see what this was :yum

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:37 am

Salt fish is something my grandparents would have eaten, much like pease pudding I suppose, and I remember it from my childhood. It had fallen from fashion somewhat and in the UK is now associated with Continental or Afro Caribbean dishes. I love it. :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 am

Badger's Mate wrote:
yellow split peas stewed with onion, garlic, and cumin, then blitzed to a smooth paste.

I remember pease pudding being described as 'Geordie Hummus'. That annoyed me on two counts, but this seems to have a greater claim to authenticity as a dip!

They make the same thing with split Santorini beans, which are a fava bean, like Egyptian ful or brown field beans - once split they look much like yellow split peas

I had it in Mykonos served not as a dip but more the texture of pease pudding as a bed under grilled octopus

Santorini beans are £14.99 a packet on Amazon but I bet Hodmedods British split fava at £1.99 would work too
https://hodmedods.co.uk/products/split-fava-beans

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:52 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
KeenCook2 wrote:I've never had brandade or brandada ... I must investigate and try some! I'm sure I'd love it ...

I'll come with you ;) ... just had to look to see what this was :yum

:thumbsup :thumbsup Pat

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:51 pm

is tapenade a dip or a spread? - more of a spread i suppose but my go to treat was a pack of the buttery, flaky breadsticks that lidl used to sell and a little pot of tapenade (without anchovy) to dip them in.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:40 pm

is tapenade a dip or a spread?

Good question and I don´t know the answer. Doesn´t really matter though; tapenade is absolutely delicious.
A friend of mine in New York, chef June Jacobs, spent a long time studying cookery in Provence. She states quite categorically that classic tapenade doesn´t use anchovies. There again, I suppose it´s a matter of taste.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Isn't the one with anchovies in it called anchoïade?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 pm

No, anchoïade is different, more of a runny sauce and less ingredients so the flavour of anchovy predominates

Here’s a reasonable anchoïade recipe

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/anchoiade

And here’s a reasonable tapenade

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... SApp_Other

The word Tapenade in Provençal language implies the presence of capers, but a lot of ready made versions seem to use more anchovy’s and few or no capers

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox