Register

Probiotics

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Probiotics

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks Dennis. It looks like they've suspended the British Gut Program for the moment.
Seems worthy.

My situation is odd.
Generally every 4 weeks my heart begins to pound all of a sudden, heart races at near 100 for several days. And my stomach goes into nausea mode. Like a combination of food poisoning and seasickness.
It lasts for 5-7 days. No warning and I cannot identify a trigger.
I force myself to nibble crackers in water. :roll: I have to go to bed at 6pm as I'm exhausted.

Doc said he'd get to the bottom of it. When it goes away, I'm strong sporty and normal, as I have zero health problems, and haven't in the past.

A lot of ladies are telling me it's the hormones of the menopause kicking me in the teeth. Jeeez!

I've given up coffee, alcohol, bread, lettuce and cucumber, milk, pasta (all because I've had episode after consumption, but they are not necessarily the cause). Had this for over 2 years so far.
Meh!

My last attempt at self diagnosis is I've got a pinched nerve in my neck - 2 years ago also which is a coincidence isn't it. That has never fully gone.
I read somewhere that a pinched cervical nerve can impinge on the vagus nerve which is responsible for heart pacing, and in turn can affect the stomach.
So I'm going back to a chiro, to see if she can get rid of the damage, as it's not healing on its own.
I'll be amazed if this nausea problem disappears too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:00 pm

That does sound like vagal over stimulation from what little I know, my connection is that the vagus also affects the rate of stomach emptying (which has been vaguely relevant to things I’ve worked on) which could well be connected to nausea.

I am personally sceptical of chiropractors but some kind of manipulation seems like a good bet

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:07 pm

ah, thanks for the encouragement, Sue.
When I read about it, it seemed to fit what's happening to me............... off to google vagal overstimulation

Postby dennispc » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:03 pm

I did wonder if the gut project was still going as Spector is involved in a Covid app.

I share similar concerns about chiropractors, though used one for years. For twenty five years I’ve visited a osteopath who diagnosed other problems caused by pronation - fortunately had a brilliant podiatrist in the same practice.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The preparation for a colonoscopy shouldn’t remove all the micro flora - there will be lots of bacteria clinging to the gut wall, though obviously they will need a short time to build up their numbers again. In theory at least prebiotics (fibre) should be the be more helpful, porridge etc

I just know that it took about three months before I felt 'right' again and dared stray from a very strict diet.

Good luck Gill, that sounds so worrying without diagnosis. :newhuggy

Postby Renee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Gill, you poor thing and what an unpleasant problem. I do hope that you can find out the cause.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 am

Thank you kindly.
I will get there.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:The preparation for a colonoscopy shouldn’t remove all the micro flora - there will be lots of bacteria clinging to the gut wall, though obviously they will need a short time to build up their numbers again. In theory at least prebiotics (fibre) should be the be more helpful, porridge etc

I just know that it took about three months before I felt 'right' again and dared stray from a very strict diet.

I'd have thought that if there were any side/after effects from a colonoscopy, the NHS would be obliged to tell you about them before the procedure.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:41 pm

I did look at the “advice to patients” leaflets from a couple of NHS sites and they both said to eat normally as soon as you liked after colonoscopy

Unfortunately if what your colon needed was prebiotic bulk a strict diet may even have been counter productive

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm

I agree with you all and didn't expect any problems but had them and discovered I wasn't alone. No, there was no hint it might be the case.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:38 am

I was super lucky, the NHS has had a roll out test of colonoscopies of everyone nationwide, all persons born in 1963. With a view to making it a routine invite, much like mammograms etc.
You could say no to the call up, or you could just go forrit.
Had my test - very caring staff, and 20mins later, got the all clear. It's hard to say if the anxiety some people might feel outweighs the procedure.

Personally, I think other tests are unpleasant but not this one. And the peace of mind was wonderful.

I cycled home on my bike. So I'm sorry to hear you had after effects, Alison, as I'd recommend people do it in an instant without worry.

I'm trying Yakult at the moment, but will stop.
It's teeth achingly sweet.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 pm

The actual test was fine! I would encourage anyone offered it to have it, we have a friend on this board whose early diagnosis as a result proved how worthwhile it is.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:30 pm

I took a friend to/from hospital yesterday for a colonoscopy (masks etc in use). She had been terrified of it despite me and others telling her it was nothing to worry about (that's human nature though, isn't it?). She came out saying it was even easier than we'd said!

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:33 pm

J had a routine sigmoidoscopy a couple of years ago, called up due to his age.
He had no reason to worry but was pleased to get the all clear.
Said it was a bit uncomfortable but not painful.

Re cranberry juice.
I worked in a special needs environment for 12 years and did pick up the occasional water infection.
I found a litre of juice per day for 3 days, plus ibuprofen when required did the trick for me.
A nurse pal said the the cranberry juice connection had been disproved but it worked for me.

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 pm

I've had two colonoscopies in the past and had no problems after, although I was very scared before I had the first one. It wouldn't worry me in the least if I had to have another one.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 pm

colonoscopies are fine as long as you haven't had a bad experience of any sort - then you tense up & it becomes more of a pain - literally -
then they will give you an anaesthetic to dull that.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:48 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:colonoscopies are fine as long as you haven't had a bad experience of any sort - then you tense up & it becomes more of a pain - literally -
then they will give you an anaesthetic to dull that.

I won't expand on my one and only experience ... I wouldn't want to put anyone off, and it had nothing to do with me having anal cancer ! :shock:

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:42 pm

I was given a sedative when I had a colonoscopy so don't really remember too much of it.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 pm

Pampy wrote:I was given a sedative when I had a colonoscopy so don't really remember too much of it.

Yes, I had a sedative too .... I felt and remember every single minute, until they had to stop as my blood pressure plummeted and I broke out in a cold sweat :roll:

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:51 pm

Oh how awful Pat.

I have to admit it hurt as it went around the bends, but I had the gas and air because I was getting the bus home and living on my own I didn't want an anaesthetic.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox