Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:57 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Uschi wrote:We have Midsomer murders back to back on one of the state TV programmes and its offspring.

Just curious. Do they have German subtitles or are they dubbed, Uschi? If the latter, then that's a massive job creation programme for a lot of actors :lol:

Everything is dubbed here. That is why our English isn‘t that great. I picked my English up while on Holiday.

And yes, „Synchronisation“ is big Business.
Last edited by Uschi on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Anyone watch The Detectorists? The hall where they held their meetings was where I sat my O levels ... both my son’s and my daughter’s old flats featured prominently .... and all those pallets and potato boxes? They were my brother’s :lol:

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm

The 2018 ITV adaptation of 'Vanity Fair' was mainly filmed in and around Mapledurham, which was just up the road from where we previously lived and one of our common local walks. It was also where the bulk of 'The Eagle Has Landed' was filmed.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Suffs wrote:Anyone watch The Detectorists? The hall where they held their meetings was where I sat my O levels ... both my son’s and my daughter’s old flats featured prominently .... and all those pallets and potato boxes? They were my brother’s :lol:

We loved the Detectorists. We walked down the aisle to the theme tune. The first time we saw Johnny Flynn live, my OH asked him to play it for us.

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:48 pm

An ex-colleague would rent his house to filmmakers (lucrative). A relatively posh house; nothing grand and no land to speak of but had acres after the editing process :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:08 pm

One of the flats in the converted school behind me was used a lot at one time for fashion shoots, I got chatting to one of the models when she was sitting out on the terrace., she said it was a good location but could do with another loo!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:08 pm

Going way back here, my dad’s boss owned the house and garden, supposedly in Surbiton, that Tom and Barbara in The Good Life lived in. 8-) It’s actually in Kewferry Drive in Northwood and hasn’t changed a bit! All the outdoor filming was done round there.

It must have been in the seventies because I used to drive past the set when I taught at Merchant Taylor’s School which was aeons ago.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Kelsey Grammar School from Little Britain is 5 minutes walk away, it's been used for countless films and TV series, as we're near Elstree Studios, BBC Borehamwood and Leavesden Studios. It's been converted into (extremely posh) residential now, so doubt it will get used again, it used to be a University campus. Many Eastenders locations around here, and the car park opposite me has twice been taken over by huge film crews.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uifi4

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm

Suffs wrote:Anyone watch The Detectorists? The hall where they held their meetings was where I sat my O levels ... both my son’s and my daughter’s old flats featured prominently .... and all those pallets and potato boxes? They were my brother’s :lol:

I thoroughly enjoyed The Detectorists ... I see Toby Jones is featuring in a film being shown (iirc) this week ;)

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Back to Miss Fisher again ....

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Jonathan Creek used to be filmed round the corner from us in Grove Park, Chiswick. Maddy/Caroline Quentin's flat was in a very nice mansion block called Sutton Court. And Alan Davies lived behind an office I used to work in on Highbury Fields - he had a magnificent apartment with a double height room with a swimming pool, behind our small car park. We could see directly into his rooms. My desk was on the other side of the building so I unfortunately didn't get the chance to snoop!

Postby Pampy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:... I see Toby Jones is featuring in a film being shown (iirc) this week ;)

It's called "Marvellous" and is a repeat. I watched it first time round and it's a fantastic film. I've recorded it to watch again.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:50 am

Pampy wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:... I see Toby Jones is featuring in a film being shown (iirc) this week ;)

It's called "Marvellous" and is a repeat. I watched it first time round and it's a fantastic film. I've recorded it to watch again.

So many things on tv these days are repeats, however I haven't seen this before and like you have recorded it. :thumbsup

Postby Busybee » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am

Another vote for Marvellous, I think we watched it one Christmas- it’s just lovely. Uplifting and life affirming.

There was a Twitter search for Nello yesterday as Rev Kate Bottley realised that she hadn’t spoken to him recently. As can happen, social media cranked into action and found him and confirmed that all is well.

I think I will rewatch.

BB

Postby Pampy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:33 pm

"Uplifting and life affirming" describes it so well. It also describes yesterday's social media search for him - just what's needed in these worrying and depressing times! Am glad Nello's well.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:49 pm

"Marvellous" - I recall seeing the name in the listings, what channel was it on so I can see if it's available in "catch-up"?

Postby Busybee » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Pretty sure it was bbc2 Sakkarin.

Well worth a watch.

BB

Postby Pampy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Yes, it was BBC2.

Postby Renee » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 pm

Thanks. I should be able to watch it on iPlayer.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:04 pm

Haaa! I've been researching satay sauces, and found Renee's favourite Mak Tok brand's version. Bit of a marketing cockup - although the chilli pepper cutout on the label may work for more pleasantly coloured pastes, I don't thinks anyone realised that on what is basically a brown product, it would look like a poo!

P.S. As usual, Pat Chapman's satay sauce recipe is the stupidest, linking to sub-sauces from several different pages, however the least adventurous is this Wing Yip recipe, which has just three ingredients!

https://www.wingyip.com/recipe/recipe-c ... sauce.html

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox