Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:42 pm

There's too much to watch! I have trouble keeping up with ordinary TV. let alone more. I have promised myself that one day I will binge watch all the Star Wars films as I've never seen one - but probably won't.

I do miss going to the 'Seniors' cinema on a Wednesday morning. I started doing that after I retired last year and it was a real treat. Downton Abbey was one of the last films I saw there before going to the cinema didn't seem a great idea. I had never watched the series so it filled that gap. I suppose I could watch a film and provide my own coffee and biscuits on a Wednesday morning but it wouldn't feel right (I walked 2 miles to the Wednesday cinema so felt I had earned it!). To 'rent' a film from my Virgin TV costs more too!

Has Death in Paradise really had so many episodes? :o I stopped watching it ages ago. I would love to see episodes of The Cedar Tree which was a sort of soap in the 70s.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

I though I’d set up a series link to Budgie on Talking Pictures but it hasn’t recorded - I’m having a bit of an issue with my Virgin TiVo deciding to store a bookmark instead of a recording, apparently randomly, of course bookmarks can expire which is a pain

Been watching Cardinal, just 2 episodes left, like it though I am astonished to discover that every single woman in Ontario is a perfect size 10 with a regular appointment at the beauty salon. Also the boss (Dyson) is Jenny Linford’s double which is a bit worrying

Postby Busybee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:05 pm

Pat - we watched all of A Place Called Home when it was originally show on bbc2 In the afternoon. We both really enjoyed it and waited avidly for the next series. It was really good but the last series petered out of steam.

BB

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Has Death in Paradise really had so many episodes? :o I stopped watching it ages ago. I would love to see episodes of The Cedar Tree which was a sort of soap in the 70s.

Ben Miller was the first Inspector and Ralph Little was the last one. In between there have been 2 others that I know of. There seems to have been 10 series in total :o

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Busybee wrote:Pat - we watched all of A Place Called Home when it was originally show on bbc2 In the afternoon. We both really enjoyed it and waited avidly for the next series. It was really good but the last series petered out of steam.

BB

I am currently up to series 4 episode 6... Regina is losing the plot :roll: :twisted:

Postby Busybee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Busybee wrote:Pat - we watched all of A Place Called Home when it was originally show on bbc2 In the afternoon. We both really enjoyed it and waited avidly for the next series. It was really good but the last series petered out of steam.

BB

I am currently up to series 4 episode 6... Regina is losing the plot :roll: :twisted:

I can’t remember if there is 5 or 6 series, I know we had to wait for the last one to be shot in Australia etc before it screened here, I think they switched it to bbc1 towards the end as it got popular. It was a winter treat, they usually showed one series just before Christmas and the next in January, it chased the winter blues away.

BB

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 pm

I think I caught the last episodes of the last series at that time. I realised there was plenty of back history that lead up to what I was watching :thumbsup

Postby mistakened » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:44 pm

The Caribbean island of St Honore, as seen in Death in Paradise is twinned with Midsomer County
I am waiting for Line of Duty to return

moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 pm

We watched an old Midsomer on Sunday. I spotted Amersham, Black Park, Burnham Beeches and Wendover. :lol:

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm

Old Midsomers are a Guilty Pleasure in this household :D

Postby aero280 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 pm

I like the Midsomer Murders. The plots develop so slowly that you can pop out to make a cup of tea, or supper, and not lose the thread...

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 pm

True, but another couple of people will have been bumped off while you’re gone! :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 pm

I went through a stage of watching Midsomer Murders quite a lot. There are very few, if any, that as soon as they start I don't immediately remember the storyline, so I don't really watch them any more.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 pm

I remember the storyline, but I don’t always remember whodunnit ... but I may have been in the kitchen making a coffee at the denouement :lol: :mug:

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 am

With Midsomer, I find that I get three quarters way through, thinking that I haven't seen it and then remember that I have so turn it off.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 am

I have watched it a lot in the past, but a second viewing is often needed to fill in the bits where I fell asleep!

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:57 am

We have Midsomer murders back to back on one of the state TV programmes and its offspring. It's nice when it there is nothing else. I also enjoy Poirot, the Miss Fisher mysteries, Miss Marple and what have you.
When I had to spend so much time waiting around in hospitals mysteries were the only thing keeping me sane. I tried reading the odd Jojo Moyes or so, but anything like that made me feel depressed. Nothing like a few good murders and wrongs righted to lift one's spirits. Fairytales for grown-ups.
We get a steady stream of Scandinavian ones, too. A nice change.

Postby Rainbow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 am

We watched Midsummer Murders years ago but it got too predictable and repetitive for our liking!!
Same with Death in Paradise - they changed actors but kept repeating the same plots :lol:

Uschi - Interesting you have the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries - I really like those shows and have watched them several times. Love Esse Davies as Miss Fisher ('with a wardrobe to die for'!!) and Miriam Margolyes is a great.character

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:50 am

Have you read the original Miss Fisher books by Kerry Greenwood? A bit more detail and a completely different story for her personal relationships.

Postby Rainbow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 am

I tried reading one of the books but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the TV series. Seemed rather dull in comparison, and I couldn't help but compare!! A lot of the characters did seem rather different - I guess the series is only 'based' on the books, so they changed things quite a bit. For the better, in my opinion, but I didn't bother reading anymore after that one, so probably not a fair judgement.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox