Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 pm

This morning I dodged the rain and made a gooseberry tart with a crème fraîche custard filling. Picked 3½kg goosegogs from the garden yesterday, don't seem to have made much of an impression on the bushes. Then there are the ones on the plot :o

Postby Hickybank » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 pm

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2006/08/ ... tomato.php
I made this tonight, it was delicious, I served it with veg Rice to which I added Paprika & Turmeric

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:17 pm

We are making Tamasin Day Lewis’s orange scented ricotta cake this week. I’ve not made it before but I’m looking forward to giving it a go.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:27 pm

"Lockdown Baking Disasters"...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... f-lockdown

The Sourdough Brick is epic!!!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 pm

I made jostaberry crumble the other night. (Just a little one.)

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 pm

those baking disasters are a hoot - mine was a post production mishap last night.
i had made a refrigerator cake yesterday. it was taken out of the fridge, cut up and after taking bits the dish was left next to my partner on the arm of the sofa. one of the cats sneakily made her way to the arm of the sofa too and had licked the chocolate on a couple of slices at the edge of the plate before we realised. they were the biggest slices, too. the worm bin got them.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Love the disasters!

I shall be making gooseberry crumble tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be a disaster!

Postby Kacey » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Banana Flapjacks in the oven, had a couple of overripe bananas and I'm fed up of banana bread.

Postby aero280 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 pm

Finally getting to grips with a quiche. At the sixth attempt, it's looking better at this stage. Just about to go in the oven!

The last ones have had different failures. Leaks, sides falling in, puff pastry was a mistake, but it was all I had at the time. Wrong temp for the oven - oops! :oops: Let's see if it's OK in half an hour.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:01 am

aero280 wrote:Finally getting to grips with a quiche. At the sixth attempt, it's looking better at this stage. Just about to go in the oven!

The last ones have had different failures. Leaks, sides falling in, puff pastry was a mistake, but it was all I had at the time. Wrong temp for the oven - oops! :oops: Let's see if it's OK in half an hour.

How was it?

Postby aero280 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:27 am

It’s “OK”, but only just. I think that I need to cook it longer and slower. The inside was still a bit sloppy, even after an extra 15 mins. Maybe that was the tomato. But it came out before the outer crust got burnt! All the decoration on the top sank :roll:

Postby DEB » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:09 pm

You need to be careful with what you add to quiche, wet ingredients real hinder the setting process.
Try this one https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ult ... e-lorraine

Here is a recipe for tomato quiche notice that the tomatoes are roasted to dry them out, I have used semi-dried tomatoes in the past.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/roa ... san-quiche.

I tend to use less cream/milk and more eggs.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Agree with DEB, and if the crust is browning too much a layer of baking paper or foil over the top will stop that happening while the filling carries on cooking.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:49 pm

Agree with the previous comments. What filling are you using? Do you make pastry much generally? I rarely use the amount of liquid recommended in many recipes.

To me, once you have mastered the art, a quiche is something you can make very quickly and easily using any combination of filling ingredients you have to hand and people always seem impressed. I use a basic shortcrust, chilled between making and using, not usually even baked blind, but if you do, leave a ragged top which can be trimmed after the final baking in case it becomes too brown.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Will , Simon Hopkins is making Quiche Lorraine as we speak on BBC2 now ... programme is called The Good Cook :thumbsup

Postby aero280 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Just missed that! :(

Had some cold for lunch and it's firmed up OK and still tastes OK. :)

I've been using pre-made Sainsbury pastry. Next time' I'll cut down on the cream a bit. And, I think that I'll buy a shallower baking tin with a bigger diameter.

Do you just mix the egg and cream, or do you whisk it to be a bit stiffer?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:37 pm

I used to use Sainsburys pastry when GD came. It was easy to give her half to play with and make mini quiches with the rest for lunch. I didn't find it handled as well as home made and we always had 'soggy bottoms' if not baked blind (which were perfectly edible for us but would not have done for guests). It did brown quickly too!

I always just mix the egg and milk/cream lightly but have reduced the amount of liquid over the years as I prefer a good set rather than a very wobbly custard.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:08 pm

aero280 wrote:Just missed that! :(

I saw it as it was up on iPlayer immediately it finished :) (Thanks PatsyMFagan.)

Simon (The Good Cook) used a very deep tin, he whisked his eggs so perhaps gave a lighter set, though was a little wobbly. Will have to find the recipe page as although he blind baked his pastry, it must still have taken ages to cook through.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Can I join the quiche q&a please.

Can all milk be used rather than cream or cream/milk mix (I rarely have cream around and about)?

How much of the above should be used in an 8inch, deepish, tin along with how many eggs (whole, yolks or mixed)?

Thanks.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:39 pm

I only ever use milk unless it's a very special occasion and I need to particularly impress. We made them regularly in my wholefood cafe days and milk was good enough then.

I know this is a very obvious remark but they really do taste more creamy and special if cream is used so I can see that many people wouldn't want to compromise.

This is Delia - I'd use more eggs and less liquid but Delia is a more reliable guide! https://www.mydish.co.uk/recipe/8993/de ... e-lorraine

I have been known to crack another egg, slosh in a bit more milk/cream and add it to the already filled quiche if the mixture didn't look enough. I do sound slap dash don't I, but that's what I like about quiche, it is quite forgiving. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox