Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm

herbidacious wrote:Slugs and snails do seem to love sages. Sarah Raven was not telling the truth when she said theat salvias are virtually pest free. I have a thing for salvias at the moment. I should go and check mine :o I really need to reapply nematodes in my new flower bed.

I bought a couple of Salvia Amistrad last year - fell in love with their lovely colour, but I knew they probably wouldn't survive the winter, so I took cuttings and left the plants in the ground. It wasn't until watching GW the other week that I saw Monty had potted up his S.Amistrad and over-wintered them in the green house :o One plant doesn't seem to have survived left in the ground, but the other one did and one cutting has taken, so that can replace the one that has died.

You have reminded my I need more nematodes as my heuchera in pots have a job surviving vine weevil :( :evil:

Postby icelesley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Good Afternoon Campers. No rain here as yet and the sun is trying to peep through the clouds. Frankie is very happy with her new blanket, she is trotting around the house and garden with it hanging out of her mouth :lol: :lol: She did put it down to have some birthday cake though. :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

icelesley wrote:Good Afternoon Campers. No rain here as yet and the sun is trying to peep through the clouds. Frankie is very happy with her new blanket, she is trotting around the house and garden with it hanging out of her mouth :lol: :lol: She did put it down to have some birthday cake though. :lol: :lol:

That paints a lovely picture :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks for the tip EM :thumbsup . I did consider getting the bus (or doing what I usually do, which is to walk up to Euston Square where you can pick up direct tube to Paddington) but- and I don't know why- I just feel churney about using any public transport in London (whether bus or tube). Ditto taxi. I know I'll be travelling to and from London by train but somehow it feels less threatening. As Herbi says, it's around 2 miles to walk to Paddington but I won't have much with me as it will be a flying visit and I'm used to walking. In fact, it'll be a relief to be in the open air after the train journey.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby aero280 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:53 pm

If you end up walking from Euston to Paddington, I can recommend a pause for refreshment at the Thornbury Castle in Enford Street. South of the Marylebone Road, across from Marylebone Station. A traditional real ale pub. It has a few seats outside. Always assuming that it's open...

https://thornbury-castle.business.site

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm

I might just do that!! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Ironing boards are in this week's Aldi special buys - £29.99

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:25 pm

I'm fairly happy with my ironing board - it's a 30+ year old Beldray, but the larger size, as I was doing a lot of sewing when I got and I found it handy to be able to get a whole pattern piece flat on the surface - I still find it easier to be able to get a whole trouser leg on it

But the great advantage of wooden ones was that you could fix the cover firmly in place with drawing pins

I also have a stem press, which was great when I damaged my right hand and couldn't wield an ordinary iron for months on end, it cost less to buy the press than to use an ironing service, and I've still got it and sometimes use it, Surprisingly they aren't much good for big flat things like sheets and tablecloths, the hinge gets in the way

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Do you know Pamps I have just got acquainted with my ironing board again after a looooooong time - & I'm enjoying it...…………! - - - a bit.....! [insert expletive mark here......!] :D
:yawn

Don't know how long it'll last.............

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:43 pm

Ha ha - you can come and do mine then! :lol: :lol:

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:52 pm

Only if you have a tall board Pampy - & wide - I'm a Tall Lush & the back aches on 'bendy' small ones - plus I need a good bottle of red to keep me plus the ironing company.…………….. :D 'Tis true..........!!!!

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 am

Good Morning Campers
Lusciouslush wrote:Only if you have a tall board Pampy - & wide - I'm a Tall Lush & the back aches on 'bendy' small ones - plus I need a good bottle of red to keep me plus the ironing company.…………….. :D 'Tis true..........!!!!
I daren't do that, I would get wine all over the clean laundry

I found a recipe in the Sunday paper, a dressing for a Thai style salad. The recipe starts with 12g sugar, i weighed that amount and found that as I suspected it was a tablespoon of sugar. Why not just list, 1 tablespoon sugar, so much easier.

Moira :mug:

Postby Jrc123 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:14 am

Hello. Still can’t get my head round losing my friend.

I am now chairman of a fairly large charity a role I am relishing. Since giving up one of my jobs last year the brain was going mushy so I am looking forward to this.

I had my MRI on Monday, hopefully get the results next week. Physio on my back and hip yesterday and surprisingly the physiotherapist offered me a session of acupuncture there and then.

I worked my backside off yesterday. After physio I did 23 deliveries (safe distances) followed by meeting my accountant in his car park :? and then made a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie with mash, cauliflower and carrots last night.

Not bad for someone who is reduced to a Zimmer frame on a bad day. I will probably suffer today though.

Today it is accounts this morning, seeing my agent this afternoon.

One of my tenants moved out on Monday. I have a new tenant moving in on Friday . I informed council tax so they sent me a bill for the whole year. :evil:

Postby icelesley » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:00 am

Good Morning campers. JRC nice to hear from you, don't overdo things, I hope your results are good news :newhuggy we had rain all night so everywhere is dripping wet this morning. At least we had water this morning, it was off again most of yesterday, it's starting to be a nuisance now, that's 5 times within a couple of weeks. :roll:

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Jrc I found myself weeping again yesterday for the friend we lost last autumn ... I’ve never cried over losing Ma ... I was just so relieved that she was free from the dementia ... I’d cried because I’d lost her over a year before her death.
Grief comes over us in waves ... let it happen ... calm will follow and eventually the grief will become simple sadness and that we can cope with.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 am

Morning all! :wave.

My word, you have been busy jrc! That's normal procedure for council tax isn't it? Used to drive me mad when DS was renting out a flat.

Oh dear icey, the water situation sounds really annoying now. I don't suppose the people working on it are overly happy either. If your water has been off for more than a certain amount of hours over a certain number of days they might give you some money back.

Dull here, I think some rain is forecast but everything's dry as a bone right now. A walk and blitz of the room I didn't do last week, plus a zoom meeting tonight are the main events today. I'd rather go back to bed, two coffees have not woken me up.

Postby Jrc123 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:57 am

Suffs, I opened the fridge and there was the tonic water he favoured. I put that in a cupboard and there was the cider we had bought him. :roll:

I will ring his wife later to see if she needs anything, she does have family around her.

Haven’t started accounts yet but did do some cheese, bacon and tomato toasties. :D

Back isn’t too bad atm but will take things at my own pace today.

Stay safe everyone. :crossed

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 am

Good morning
Happy 102nd March

Yesterday I had to collect a small blood sample from myself and post it for analysis as part of a Covid research project, it was quite easy apart from the game of a person with poor eyesight trying to catch drips of blood from a finger prick in a tiny transparent vial - I finally found the edge was shaped to help. Anyway, it’s done for 4 weeks

I’ve been having trouble with post Viral fatigue, I’ll feel fine for a few days then I’ll keel over again, so I decided to try sticking to a fairly rigid activity schedule, gradually increasing the amount I do. So far so good. I’m using a very basic activity monitor and by the time I got back from posting my sample yesterday afternoon I’d done my daily step count, so I pottered round and did sitting stuff, so was slightly surprised to find I’d done another 2500 steps by bedtime, worked out that the monitor had recorded the wrist movements when kneading bread as steps. They aren’t infallible!

Have a good day everyone, don’t overdo it jrc

Postby Busybee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 am

My fit bit records housework as steps, even when static cleaning the shower!

Monday, house cleaning day is always my most active day of the week, more so than long dog walk days.

BB

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:35 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
hahahaha - maybe you should put the fit monitor round your ankle instead!
i made garlic mushroom stuffed pancakes for dinner last night but used buckwheat flour rather than flour ordinaire - they were really good, lighter than 'normal' ones and, i think, will be what pancakes (especially savoury ones) will be made from in the future. why haven't i used buckwheat in the past‽‽‽
the gp that my partner first saw with his kidney stone phoned this morning to give him the results of its analysis. she said she'd had a particularly bad day when he'd dropped it to the surgery and the letter he'd included with it had made her laugh and cheered her up no end - shows that making a good cup of coffee isn't his only talent!
said coffee (well, a second cup, the first had a milk issue) has been handed to me. the only other must-do is to re-listen to 'more or less' which was muted while the doctor was talking.
have a good day, everyone.

ps. is the blood sample part of the zoe covid study, sue?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox