Register

Whole Eggs in Oven?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Whole Eggs in Oven?

Postby Loulou » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm

I know it sounds strange but my induction hob which is not that old just will not switch on until around 8pm!! (I’m not making this up!). Anyway, I need some hard boiled eggs, and I just turned on the tv while having a coffee :mug: and watched a bit of the food channel, Food Network. Molly Yeh cooked her eggs in the oven while making Salade Nicoise, and they came out perfectly. I then googled it and it seems to be a ‘thing’. Has anyone done this? Looking for a new hob by the way but it’s an unusual shape.

Re: Whole Eggs in Oven?

Postby Hickybank » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

That sounds crazy, I assume the timer has not been set accidentally, the only other suggestion I would give is to kill the power to it completely, at the plug or consumer unit if hard wired, see if it re-sets itself.

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm

I've not done them in the oven but if you have a slow cooker you can "boil" eggs in it so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Postby Loulou » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Hickybank wrote:That sounds crazy, I assume the timer has not been set accidentally, the only other suggestion I would give is to kill the power to it completely, at the plug or consumer unit if hard wired, see if it re-sets itself.

I know! But very occasionally it will come on during the day. My OH has taken it apart twice as he hates when he can’t fix something! It switches on, the fan starts up, and then goes to error message and switches off again. I am getting so fed up of it coming on first time in the evening, when I’ve had to cook the meal in oven, micro or slow cooker! I made today’s chilli last night at 10pm so it only has to go in the oven along with jacket potatoes. I would rather have gone to bed! Its an AEG.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Maybe a faulty microchip somewhere?

You can boil eggs in water in the microwave. I haven't had reason to try them in the oven!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Can you, EM? How do you do that?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Interesting - sounds like it might be a good way of cooking a lot of eggs, I might try one next time the oven is on

Postby Loulou » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Interesting - sounds like it might be a good way of cooking a lot of eggs, I might try one next time the oven is on

Me too! I think you need to keep the temp at about 175. Will report back.
EM that sounds scary - have you tried it?

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:26 pm

you could boil them in an electric kettle - if you were confident the shell wouldn't break.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:48 pm

You can boil eggs in water in the microwave.

My wife did that once, then spent the next hour cleaning exploded egg from the inside of the microwave. :gonzo :gonzo

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Dry-baking eggs in shell seemed dubious to me without pricking through to the yoke as with microwaving, but no need it seems per this link which also gives a time chart for runny-soft through to hard, but note they suggest plunging into ice cold water as soon as the time's up (so can't set the timer and forget about them):
https://www.wholesomeyum.com/perfect-ba ... -the-oven/

I'll try a couple in my halogen today, fingers crossed.

Your hob is weird; I'm wondering what's magical about 8pm. Hopefully AEG should be able to throw light on it, or try putting the model number into Google and "timer issue/problem" to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Re the microwave. Yes, I have done it. you need a suitable receptacle (I use a pyrex measuring jug for that kind of thing). Add boiling water or heat cold water to boiling in microwave. Add the eggs (I have always pricked them), boil for about 3 minutes. That works with two eggs, I don't know if you'd have to adjust the time for more. That's for hard boiled, presumably you'd halve the time for soft, it would need experimentation.

This seems to cover all the methods discussed here. https://theproteinchef.co/how-to-make-p ... easy-ways/

Postby Lokelani » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:17 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:
You can boil eggs in water in the microwave.

My wife did that once, then spent the next hour cleaning exploded egg from the inside of the microwave. /quote]

That reminds me of someone at school who had read a beauty tip about eggs or maybe just yolks (it was many decades ago!) on her hair as a moisturising mask, but then daftly rinsed them off with hot water! Apparently she ended up picking scrambled egg out of her hair for ages. :lol: It was probably around the time of mayonnaise hair masks & mashed banana, or avocados for face masks. Mum used to have the egg yolk as a face mask for older drier skin, whilst I wore the white for teenage skin. Those were the days before salmonella & eggs were ever mentioned in the same sentence! :lol:

Have never tried to boil an egg in anything other than a saucepan. Will be interesting to hear how it goes in an oven. Hope it doesn't explode like in the microwave.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Loulou ... what happens with your oven when we put the clocks backwards and forwards ?

Postby Loulou » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:14 am

I don‘t think it’s a timer issue as such - it will come on sometimes during the day. If for example I need to use it for our evening meal, I’ll start trying it from noon maybe and if on the umpteenth attempt it does stay on, I’ll leave it on one till I’m ready to use it, The last few days though, it hasn’t come on at all during the day, including today. I’ve just tried it before coming up to bed at 11pm and yes it stayed on! I know it’s weird but there you are. I’ve tried leaving it on all night, on one with a heavy saucepan full of water but it switches off after 6 hours like it’s supposed to.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Lokelani one of my friends at school did that... and she had natural afro hair (which judging from the expression on her face when she told us made it as hard to get out as one might image, and some...) :o

Postby Amber » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:11 am

I’m sure I read recently that’s it’s possible to cook whole eggs on a bbq??

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:13 am

I think it all comes down to convenience, or time-saving, or time management. If I want boiled eggs for breakfast, the first thing I do is put the eggs in cold water and turn on the heat. Then I boil the kettle, and put the tea in the teapot. Then I turn on the grill and, when it´s hot, put the bread underneath to toast. Dig the butter out of the back of the fridge, and then 1) the eggs are done (5 minutes) and are left for another 5 minutes to peel 2) Kettle has boiled, water poured into the teapot and 3) toast is ready.
By the time I´ve poured the tea and buttered the toast, all I´ve got to do is pour cold water on the eggs and peel them.
I do, however, use the timer on the cooker. Almost obsessively. Works for me.
No criticism of other people´s methods - everyone does it the way they want.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:15 am

The point of the thread was that there was no stovetop available to boil the egg .. ;).

Fascinated that you cool and peel breakfast boiled eggs. That's the way my American friend ate them, he had never seen them served warm with a runny yolk and soldiers to dip (which IMO is the best way to eat breakfast boiled eggs). His family had always used egg cups and egg cosies as a decorative way to bring cooled hard boiled eggs to the table on special occasions. I never knew if it was just them or normal in the USA.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:31 am

My mother used to call an egg peeled and put into a cup an “American egg”

In much of Europe you get hot hardboiled eggs on the breakfast buffet, there’s something wrong about the texture for my taste

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox