Register

1 space or 2 after a full stop?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 1 space or 2 after a full stop?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 am

I think that as with a lot of chemical things the build of the word follows the chemistry

A lot of chemical “bits” end in -nyl and then you stick vi- in front to describe this one, so a chemist wouldn’t think of it as vin anythyjing

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:34 am

The family of a schoolfriend, who spoke well, always called Marmite, 'Marmeet'. It's the correct pronunciation for a French cooking pot depicted on the Marmite label so theoretically they were right. I've never heard anyone else call it that though.

Love it KC2. I don't say gunwale very often either ;).

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I think that as with a lot of chemical things the build of the word follows the chemistry

A lot of chemical “bits” end in -nyl and then you stick vi- in front to describe this one, so a chemist wouldn’t think of it as vin anythyjing

Ah, that makes sense as I recognise that "yl"s are pronounced "il". I now read that the "vin" comes from the Latin "vinum" (wine) because ethyl alcohol is the ordinary alcohol present in wine. (Maybe they nicked the yl from ethyl.) The constituent two parts of vinyl are chlorine, based on common salt, and ethylene, from crude oil. (Credits to AZO Materials and en.wiktionary.org).

Probably of interest to no-one, but I'd never have got there without your help, so thank you. It's bugged me for 25 years since a youngster reading pronounced it logically and I was sure that even English wouldn't be deliberately contrary for the sake of it.

Postby Rainbow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 am

jeral wrote:It's bugged me for 25 years since a youngster reading pronounced it logically and I was sure that even English wouldn't be deliberately contrary for the sake of it.

What makes you sure of that, Jeral? I'd feel more sure that English is deliberately difficult all the time!! (I like the double exclamation marks too!!)

I'd hate to have to learn English as a foreign language. I remember complaining to a French guy, when I was at school learning French, that they had lots of irregular verbs.
So he showed me a list of English irregular verbs he had to learn - not sure we even have any regular ones :lol:

Postby halfateabag » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:12 am

Isn't language a wonderful subject matter....... I am going to give Greek a try but the written greek word worries me somewhat...... Although after so many holidays in Greece I can recognise the odd word here and there.. i.e. Mythos !!!!!!

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 am

When DD was working in the gardens at a large private estate the head gardener told her to go into the greenhouse and prick out the Cosmos ‘Physique’ seedlings ... DD pricked out the Cosmos ‘Psyché seedlings and told her she’d done it ... she was given a patronising lecture on how to pronounce them .... she knew that job wasn’t going to suit her long term ... :roll:

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:05 am

halfateabag, that reminds me of when I asked a local shopkeeper how to write "good morning". He told me I had to learn the alphabet first... He did write it down for me and I carefully tried to copy it whilst he smiled benignly then gently pointed out that writing was done right to left. Good luck with your Greek. Time and patience methinks.

Rainbow wrote:What makes you sure of that, Jeral? I'd feel more sure that English is deliberately difficult all the time!! (I like the double exclamation marks too!!)
I was probably sure of everything back then :lol: including that every rule had exceptions that could only be learned by rote. The one exoneration of English is perhaps that it is gender neutral, e.g. inanimate tables are neither masculine nor feminine, which presumably also can only be learned by rote. Have to be thankful for small mercies eh?

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 am

Writing’s primary purpose is the communication of ideas, and as with speech there are many different styles which can be used to aid its effectiveness, depending on circumstances. There are many pieces of great creative writing which would be much poorer if they followed grammatical rules. When I write a piece to be read out loud I use punctuation creatively to give the reader clues as to the way I want it to be delivered, just as a composer uses words and symbols to indicate to the performer how to convey the spirit of the piece. When I used to type up legal documents no punctuation at all was used as the power of the document depended on the words used and must not be open to interpretation. Of course this meant that the document had to be written in such a way that made it totally unambiguous.

Writing on message boards and blogs etc is relatively new, but already established convention seems to be that the writing follows the individual style of the writer’s conversational speech ... this is why my posts contain ‘unconventional’ punctuation such as ellipses and multiple !!!s :lol: That’s also why I use emojis as I feel they can carry the ‘tone of voice’ and hopefully avoid misunderstandings that can otherwise occur. :( It also has to be remembered that on social media many people post with ‘fat fingers on a fone’ ;) rather than ‘typing’ on a keyboard and this often results in a ‘short form’ style of writing supplemented by emojis.

When writing a thesis or a business letter I would use different styles yet again.

My criteria is, does this piece of writing convey my message in the way I intend? If it does, then I’ve got it write ;)

Postby dennispc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am

Stokey Sue wrote:A lot of “Americanisms” turn out to be regional British variants when you look into them

That's true because that's where they came from. I do like their sensible choices; one word for their and there, and the spelling of words, such as color, spelt as they sound. No doubt a few Primary teachers would like that.

Only one phrase irrationally grates with me, "going forward" :evil: no idea where it came from.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

You've got it in one there Suffs……….. :thumbsup !!

I once spent a long ride in a taxi from Houston airport trying to explain to the driver what jumper meant ( as in sweater ) - he just couldn't get it, to him a jumper was lead/s to do with cars or people throwing themselves off buildings or jumping in sports - Bonnet ( of a car ) was another, there were a few others that puzzled him which I can't remember now, but the jumper thing has always stayed in my mind as an example of how we are divided by a common language.

It was a long journey...………….

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Only one phrase irrationally grates with me, "going forward"

I think that was Gary Lineker on Match of the Day. :gonzo :gonzo
Now I think of it, that grates with me too; not because it´s wrong, but because its hackneyed. The same goes for the overuse of "massive" (" he made a massive contribution to that goal, Jim"); "totally" ("It totally changed the outset"); "gobsmacked" (I really hate the word!) and "mentalize" (THINK about it!).
Additionally, the incorrect use of "good" as opposed to "well".
- How are you today?
- Good!
- Good at what?? 8-)

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm

jeral wrote:
Pampy wrote:Why use an adjective when the exclamation mark (which I know as a shriek) conveys exactly the same meaning?

A suitable adjective should clearly imply the reason why a reader should be taken aback, e.g. exhorbitant (amount), distasteful, unexpected, illogical or contradictory, etc.

But would you prefer the often unintelligible
style of writing that was used by a past board member who almost constantly used hyperbole in her posts? :lol:

On the use of emojis and punctuation such as the shriek and interrobang - I think they're very useful because they can convey meaning/sub-text that would normally be inferred from face-to-face conversations (body language and facial expression) which can't be conveyed clearly in words alone.
Last edited by Pampy on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:13 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Additionally, the incorrect use of "good" as opposed to "well".
- How are you today?
- Good!
- Good at what?? 8-)

or any use of the word 'good' by 'the orange fart'.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:19 pm

:lol: I could write a hellava long list at what makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - here's a couple.....

' So' at the start of a sentence.....!
Everyone seems to be doing it - especially when being interviwed - really sets my teeth on edge!!

' Game Changer' :x :x

'Back in the day' - said in a very southern Brighton accent on every local radio prog. by presenters who have just crawled out of the womb! :evil: :evil:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 pm

People whose native tongue is not English seem to throw in a lot of "Actually's" for emphasis.

"To be fair" gets those hairs rising, especially as it is often misused, just dropped into a sentence where fairness isn't an issue.

"Crucially" gets bandied about a lot.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

“To be fair” - and it’s companion “If I’m honest” - well why wouldn’t you be?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 pm

I know I am guilty of overusing the word 'So' .... (and 3/4 dots ;) ) especially when I am typing, rather than speaking :oops:

Postby dennispc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Thame daughter is hoping to come for a garden visit with us, camping locally with camper van. A nice day would be better than us sitting outside in the rain.

Text today - "Forecast not looking too good at the moment, continuing wet and windy going forward ….." Obviously I failed as a parent.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Sorry Dennis - I read the start of your post as "tame daughter"! :lol: :lol:

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:26 pm

How the heck do you tame a daughter? ... I failed abysmally ... so did my parents :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox