Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:23 am

i have a small, tabletop ironing board from ikea. the legs fold in and it hangs on the back of a door when not in (its rare) use. i got rid of the ordinary ironing board, that my partner bought, years ago. it didn't have enough use to warrant the space it took up

Postby mistakened » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 am

Good Morning Campers, I accidently got up early which was lucky as the man came to collect the skip, this meant that I could supervise. I am very good at supervising :roll:
The garden now looks tidy, nothing much will grow until the end of September. Deb can usually manage the garden except for major tree pruning but her back is getting work.

Moira :mug:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am

Busybee wrote:anyone who doesn’t know the area Skipton is a great market town with lots to do and a fabulous market.

Morning all, dull and grey today so not much venturing out will be done but at least the wind has died down.

I’ll second and third that. It’s one of my favourite places to visit and only a 35-40 train ride from Leeds. There are some great little shops and tea shops also some great pubs. Downside is that it’s very busy especially at weekends, if you want to wander around in relative calm then it’s best to visit on non-market days which I think are Tuesday and Thursday.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 am

Good Morning campers. Rain and drizzle all day yesterday and today isn't looking any better :roll: today is Frankie's 9th birthday :birthday-dancer she has a new comfort blanket (she always has one to carry around)
We also have a birthday cake for lunchtime, she loves cake :D

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I’ve overslept ... probably a result of the dream in which I was wearing a bright yellow bra and was looking for a plain blue woollen shawl but all I could find was a silk green and cerise one with flowers and a poem about gardens woven into it and a very heavy knotted silk fringe ... beautiful but not what I was looking for. :roll:

It looks like a dry morning ... I may have to hoe the chickweed in the veg patch ... supper will be grilled halloumi and nectarines with a salad so not a lot of prepping to do. I’ll be able to get into the studio. Hopefully OH will have time to pick gooseberries ... they’re ripening fast!

Happy birthday Frankie! Hope she likes her new blanket :D

Postby mistakened » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 am

Suffs wrote:supper will be grilled halloumi and nectarines with a salad so not a lot of prepping to do. I’ll be able to get into the studio.
One of our favourites :!:

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am

Morning all! :wave. A little bit dull this morning but nice and cool.

Sunny coloured undies sound rather fun. You've reminded me that I desperately need a trip out to restock on some less colourful attire. It's getting to the stage where I'd be embarrassed to be run over by the proverbial bus. I would like to see what I'm buying but don't much want to go shopping in larger shops.

Food shopping day today. Probably M&S Food again as it's never crowded and I don't want masses. I've been grateful for them during lockdown but I still don't find their food exciting and of course the fresh stuff is not cheap. GD is coming for meals on Thursday (I think :roll:) so I'd better consider that. I'm saving fruit picking in the garden for her visit.

I associate Skipton with a mortgage lender who I was in endless correspondence with at one time.

Happy Birthday Frankie!

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am

good morning, all.
drizzling at the moment but it's meant to dry up later.
our son is in anxiety mode.
he has an online interview, shortly, for a phd. i, truly, can't imagine that they will have another candidate whose cv would match the criteria closer than his (of course they could already have a student with the proposal lined up for it and are just going through the motions). my fingers are crossed.
we watched 'a midsummer night's dream', last night. we'd forgotten just how good this version is - a real feast for the senses. i may even have to watch it again before it disappears on thursday evening. the actor who plays 'bottom' is a star.
got my coffee, have a pastel de nata shouting 'come and get me' from the kitchen so i'd better go and 'answer the call of nata'! (sorry, couldn't help it).
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am

Earthmaiden wrote:
Food shopping day today. Probably M&S Food again as it's never crowded and I don't want masses. I've been grateful for them during lockdown but I still don't find their food exciting and of course the fresh stuff is not cheap. GD is coming for meals on Thursday (I think :roll:) so I'd better consider that. I'm saving fruit picking in the garden for her visit.

I associate Skipton with a mortgage lender who I was in endless correspondence with at one time.

Happy Birthday Frankie!

M&S fruit and veg nicer and cheaper than Waitrose.

All those Yorkshire Building Societies! Obviously A Thing. * rushes off to investigate why *
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:41 am

looks like you're earthmaiden's echo!

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 am

Grrr! I was so careful too! Numpty.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:58 am

Morning. Dull and raining steadily here. Slug fest outside, I imagine (I am keeping a watchful eye on the foxglove plant I bought as a present for my mother), but at least the wind has dropped for now. I have a headache. It feels a bit like I have got my lenses in the wrong eyes, but I probably haven't.

Trying to chase person about the back door replacement. I am feeling increasingly uncomfortable about staying in my friend's cottage this weekend, from the point of view of her loss of revenue. I know she is doing this as a return for an offered favour but I sense she would rather not. Although not surprisingly, she says it's now pretty much booked up for the next few months. We are instructed to strip the bedding and put it, along with towels and tea towels, in dissolvable laundry bags before we leave :o Anyway, if the back door can't be sorted, she will be sacrificing a weekend's revenue for nothing...

Scully :D

Fingers crossed for your son.

pp easily done....

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Herbi - wouldn't it be too late now for your friend to get another booking if you cancelled? (So there'd be nothing to gain for her if you decided not to go.)

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Morning chaps :wave

I know Skipton very well. Mr S's family moved there from Bradford when he was in his teens and his brother's family still live there. Market is indeed fab. I have some lovely garden containers I bought from there, and some breakfast cups. Come to think of it, our log basket also came from Skipton.

A bit cloudy here with rain forecast for later. Garden is very much enjoying the change in weather.

Whilst I'm feeling trepidatious about it, I'm planning a brief trip to the South in a couple of weeks, to catch up with best friend who has a birthday approaching. We've not seen each other since early January and whilst we've Skyped regularly it's not the same. We shall still have to maintain as much social distance as possible but at least I can stay overnight and we can have a bit of a catch up. I shall get train to Euston and then walk to Paddington for train onwards, thus avoiding tube. I've booked seats on all trains so am hopeful things will be fairly civilised. I shall, of course, be armed to the hilt with sanitizer, wet-wipes, face masks, etc, and be taking every precaution I can. I'm a bit jittery about it but it will be fantastic to see her. That's if there's no local lockdowns to put spanner in works. Ah well- time will tell....
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm

To be honest Herbi if I were your friend I’d be quite pleased to have you this weekend as a “soft” reopening

She can see which of the local resources and attractions reopen and how it all works without having to deal with strangers who might have entirely unreasonable expectations

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Seatallen - Although you'd probably prefer to walk than use public transport at the moment It's so very much easier to get a bus than the tube from Euston to Paddington!

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Good morning everyone,
Slug fest here too herbi, they've been at my salvias overnight! :cry:
Cold and grey here today but dry so far! It's well seeing it's the first week of the school holidays up here.
A friend was supposed to be coming over for a garden catch up but we've decided to make do with a phone call later in the week and postpone seeing each other until either the weather perks up or the rule change due on 10th July allowing indoor meet ups happens.
My elder son is popping by later to borrow my wheel barrow and is bringing with him some Greek-style stuffed veg. His fiancée made a huge tray of them on Sunday and got a bit carried away with the quantities. I'll trade him with a tub of the vat of veg & tomato sauce I made yesterday ;) . We'll have the stuffed veg for dinner tonight and bump the pasta dish I'd planned until tomorrow.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Morning all, wet here.

Happy birthday Frankie :bounce:

Scully, :crossed for your son. What's his subject area?

Herbi, I hope the w/e works out ...

I took the plunge and ordered a new 2 in 1 laptop from John Lewis yesterday evening .... I decided to pay for MS Office as I just feel happier sticking to what I know and not relying on the cloud. I had £15 of vouchers plus a £20 gift card from my cousin for Christmas, that I hadn't used yet, plus the £20 off for buying it at the same time as the computer, so got it for about half price.

I also bought a new nightie in the sale - I seem to wear them out on my left shoulderblade ... they all eventually develop holes there and then have to be thrown out :lol:
One of my friends said she always used to wear out her swimming costumes at the base of her spine ... bizarre!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Well our door man says he will come and secure our door if the new door doesn't arrive in time so I guess we proceed as planned. Very kind of him. (I had explained that we were and why we are intending to go away.)

Sea, that's a 2 mile walk. Ok not a huge distance, but if you have some luggage... You could get a taxi - screen between you and the driver etc. You will be sitting on seats that have been sat on by others anyway.

I am afraid I would not be going to see anyone at all unless I felt I had to (and do I really have to? It's for my mother's mental health, as much as anything, but it's certainly having an ill affect on mine...) and not even for my mother on public transport :o

Slugs and snails do seem to love sages. Sarah Raven was not telling the truth when she said theat salvias are virtually pest free. I have a thing for salvias at the moment. I should go and check mine :o I really need to reapply nematodes in my new flower bed.

KC2 good luck with the new laptop!

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:I also bought a new nightie in the sale - I seem to wear them out on my left shoulderblade ... they all eventually develop holes there and then have to be thrown out :lol:
One of my friends said she always used to wear out her swimming costumes at the base of her spine ... bizarre!

do you sleep on your left?
the friend wearing out the swimsuit isn't as bizarre as it would seem - unless she uses 'endurance' type ones, then it would be bizarre.
with ordinary lycra style ones they are usually worn with only a couple of finger's width stretch at the shoulder so that they don't bag in the water. it means that that part of the costume, with less fabric on the upper part, at the back, gets a bit more 'pulling' stress - added to that the stretch across the bum (including the movement due to kicking) and the degradation to any chlorination it is a weaker point on the costume - as is the stretch across the bust. it's often the reason for club swimmers to wear double costumes.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox