Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:47 pm

yes both bakes look wonderful. I do so like a tray bake/ bar.

Sakkarin
My only tweak for the hummingbird muesli bar when I tried them last time was, I'd not use cornflakes.
Everything else in there I really liked, but the cornflakes were odd to me.
That might be because I only eat cardboard type cereals, such as bran sticks.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Sakkarin wrote:Unfortunately 9000 calories per slice.

:o they do look nice. Full of very nice things :yum. For some reason, although nothing remotely like them, they've reminded me of Kellogg's Flaky Bars, a very sweet recipe my mother got off the side of a cornflake box. I have a yearning to make them now.

KC2 - love the look of your flapjack too.

Thanks, EM, here's the link in case you or anyone else wants to try them!
https://www.joskitchenlarder.com/health ... flapjacks/ I didn't have any dates and only had 2 bananas so made two-thirds quantities.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:44 am

I haven't baked these but have never seen covered choux pastry before and wondered if anyone had made anything like it. They look nice and I'd love to see if they work. I'd probably just fill with strawberry cream or similar. (please ignore the source, not my publication of choice, even at the pre-Covid hairdressers!).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hellom ... viewas=amp

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:14 pm

I've seen craquelin used on Junior Bakeoff and the judges were impressed by the result. It was used on the top only, not all round. Seemingly it adds a very light crunch coat to otherwise soft things, which sounds good to me.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:27 pm

This morning made a strawberry & gooseberry tart & an Ottolenghi herb pie

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ttingstall

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ottolenghi

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 pm

Yesterday I made apple flapjacks and a tomato galette for supper. The apple flapjacks were entirely sugar-free, using only cooking apples and sultanas for sweetening.

The apple flapjacks were more successful than the banana ones I made earlier in the week, although we all liked those too. I think the texture was better. Still not really like a "flapjack" - but then I think that's probably inevitable without the golden syrup and sugar normally used. Perhaps apple and oat bites might be a more accurate description of what I made!

The tomato galette is an adapted Ottolenghi recipe that never fails.
Attachments
Tomato galette.jpg
Tomato galette.jpg (257.98 KiB) Viewed 6681 times
Apple flapjacks.jpg
Apple flapjacks.jpg (263.55 KiB) Viewed 6681 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:28 pm

KC2, they look lovely.

Strawberry and gooseberry tart sounds lovely too. I think my gooseberries are very close to being ready to pick. They are not dessert gooseberries but are beautifully sweet if left until July. I usually get a big bowlful- could be more this year as the bush matures!

I am going to try the craquelin recipe. I need to buy some more butter first.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:38 pm

pizza 1.jpg

I made sourdough pizzas for supper yesterday ... tbases so thin you could almost see through them, tinned tomatoes simmered on the hob with onion, olive oil and a dash of balsamic until sticky and then pulverised in the liquidiser, mozarella, a few anchovies and olives, few slices of proscuitto, a couple of sundried tomatoes from the bottom of a jar, sliced up and then the whole lot drizzled with the oil from the tomato jar ................. baked until the bases were crisp.
It's the fourth Saturday in a row I've made pizzas for supper ... think it's a regular now :lol:

Postby Pampy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:16 pm

Have you posted the flapjack recipe, KC2? If so, would you mind pointing me in its direction? Big thanks!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Just made a Camembert and red onion loaf to go with lunch. To do a whole one, make a dough with 300g white bread flour, roll it out like a pizza (a thicker one than Suffs'!). Plonk a whole Camembert in the middle, top with softened red onion. Fold it up, pinch the edges together to seal it and turn over so it looks like a cob loaf. Bake for about 25 minutes at 180°C fan. Serve warm and melty.

I made a whole batch but cut the cheese in half and used half the dough & onions, will bake the second half tomorrow.

Postby Amyw » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:57 pm

72 hour shift at work this weekend so made a peach custard tart for the girls to have after their roast . I hate to say it but the first time I’ve made custard and found it really easy

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:47 pm

Suffs, your pizza looks fab!
Amyw, I've never made custard before either - great to hear you found it easy. Maybe I should give it a try! Please share your method!!

Pampy, here's the recipe for the apple "flapjacks":
https://www.sneakyveg.com/naturally-swe ... ainer-5133

and these were the banana ones from a few days ago: https://www.joskitchenlarder.com/health ... flapjacks/ although I didn't have any dates.

Postby aero280 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:47 pm

You're making me feel hungry! :)

I've been dodging the rain showers and doing a bit. I redid the Dove's Farm Spelt and Walnut biscuits. This time at the right temperature... They're OK, but not stunning. But for a biscuit that's not sickly sweet, they fit the bill.

IMG_3336.jpg
IMG_3336.jpg (109.42 KiB) Viewed 6644 times

And as the oven was at the right temp, I did the cauliflower cheese too.

IMG_3335.jpg
IMG_3335.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 6644 times

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:14 pm

The cookie in the middle looks like it's got a walnut butterfly on it...

I was going to make a cheese and olive scone, but realised I'd forgotten the olives after it had already gone in the oven :-(

I also put a hefty pinch of chipotle in it, which ended up stronger than I expected. Good value that chipotle at £1 for a 45g jar in Sainos.

Postby aero280 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 pm

I use a big bag of walnuts from Costco. They claim to have 20% complete halves. When I did the batch earlier in the week, I searched through for the halves. But a couple of bits is just as good on these biscuits and OH uses the halves (if I've left any... :oops: :oops: :oops: ).

Postby Amyw » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:23 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Suffs, your pizza looks fab!
Amyw, I've never made custard before either - great to hear you found it easy. Maybe I should give it a try! Please share your method!!

Pampy, here's the recipe for the apple "flapjacks":
https://www.sneakyveg.com/naturally-swe ... ainer-5133

and these were the banana ones from a few days ago: https://www.joskitchenlarder.com/health ... flapjacks/ although I didn't have any dates.

Hi this is the recipe I used https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcg ... tard%3famp.

I find bbc good food pretty good for basic recipes

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:03 am

Many thanks, KC2 :thumbsup

Postby cherrytree » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 am

I’m about to get cracking on Delia’s Old fashioned Cherry and Almond cake for one of my granddaughters who is seven today. I made one for her daddy and she liked it so much that’s what she’s chosen for her birthday cake. How sad it is that she can’t have a party.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 pm

[quote="cherrytree"
How sad it is that she can’t have a party.[/quote]
Aww, kids are so thrilled about sharing (showing off?) their special cake with their friends at that age. Still, all the more for her, eh? :mrgreen:

Sakkarin's post reminded me that I'd bought some chipotle paste a while back being anxious to try it and often forget I have it. It seemed to give the impression that it was innocuous but sure does pack a punch (to me). I really like the flavour, usually smeared on tuna steak or braised pac choi type things as I reckon its flavour would be lost if just bunged into a composite dish. No idea how it's meant to be used though.

As this is the baking thread, I'm thinking chipotle paste might be good spread on flaky pastry to fold and cut as palmiers. Any ideas what else could go in? Tom or olives doesn't seem right, maybe flattened sweetcorn?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm

cherrytree wrote:I’m about to get cracking on Delia’s Old fashioned Cherry and Almond cake.

Ha! I stumbled across Joan's Cherry & Almond Biscotti recipe a few days ago, the other end of the foodie spectrum!

Any link to the Cherry in your name?

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/ ... scotti.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox