Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:30 pm

An excess of asparagus sounds very decadent :)

I was wondering about SD nibbles. A FB friend posts pics of her drinks and nibbles party. Lots of people dipping hands into the same bowl of crisp...

I imagine even if you are careful, after a few drinks you might think 'oh sod it'.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm

:o :o I thought that shared distance drinks and nibbles meant bring your own or at least being served your own saucer of nibbles! I admit to having had a cup of tea and glass of water at the houses of very careful people lately but you can buy drinks anywhere now!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:03 pm

When we hosted socially distanced drinks and nibbles we gave the other 2 couples their own bowls of crisps etc.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Amyw wrote:Yes I don’t like the pre bought bases either . Like chewing on pieces of cardboard . I find the dough by the ready made pastry .

I have Tesco's ready rolled flat bread dough in my freezer, bought on a whim and now needing to be used. A pizza base of another kind perhaps ?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:02 pm

herbidacious wrote: Lots of people dipping hands into the same bowl of crisp...

Arrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……………!!!!!!!!!!! :vomit

Noooooooo!!! way before covid, eating any nibbles from the same bowl is an absolute no-no for me - double dipping big time - if you knew the analysis of your average pub's bowl of peanuts it would keep you awake at night - for many years now I wont have any nuts etc. unless they're opened fresh in front of me!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:34 pm

- if you knew the analysis of your average pub's bowl of peanuts it would keep you awake at night -

You do know that the story that DNA analysis found DNA from X different urines is an urban myth? Urine is virtually DNA free, so it cannot be done. And if you wanted to show contamination from unwashed hands it would be better to do bacterial cultures, 1% of the cost and 100x the useful information. I’ve never heard of anyone doing it though for some reason, I suppose the huge amount of salt would be a problem

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:45 pm

We are probably consuming, lieing on, sitting on, touching etc all manner of bacteria of a toilet related variety all the time... Hard to eliminate it even when you recite Hppay Birthday x2 I imagine.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:46 pm

It wasn't urine Sue - much worse substances...…!

I certainly wouldn't give any bowl of xyz the benefit of the doubt.
I've seen too many of the great British public with very unsavoury habits!

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:I certainly wouldn't give any bowl of xyz the benefit of the doubt.

Me neither! :vomit

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
herbidacious wrote: Lots of people dipping hands into the same bowl of crisp...

Arrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……………!!!!!!!!!!! :vomit

Noooooooo!!! way before covid, eating any nibbles from the same bowl is an absolute no-no for me - double dipping big time - if you knew the analysis of your average pub's bowl of peanuts it would keep you awake at night - for many years now I wont have any nuts etc. unless they're opened fresh in front of me!

Me too, definitely when at any public event, and even at friends I'm afraid I keep a wary eye on who is eating how!! But in my defence I have got a compromised immune system. My sons have been brought up not to double dip. I remember the first time I noticed it was when a friend's daughter dipped her carrot into the hummus, sucked it off and then kept dipping and sucking ... :vomit

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:35 pm

On a different note, is rosemary pesto a bad idea? I have been pruning...

If nipping out to the shops for things and being frily sure of getting what one wanted were an option right now, I would not think twice about potentially wasting the other ingredients. I have googled it but still a bit dubious.

Sage pesto, I know is possible, as I've bought it. Off to google a recipe.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Hmm, I think that texture wise, rosemary might still end up a bit gritty in the magimix?
I don't think it would be possible to get it as smooth as basil or sage leaves, or spinach or even kale ... Interesting idea though, look forward to hearing the results of your research ....!

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Rosemary pesto was sold in jars with the Jamie Oliver brand name, maybe 15 years ago at least. It was really nice, which is saying something as celeb brand stuff can be awful. Can't remember what the nuts were. (Edit, looking at misc. recipes on the Net, either almonds or walnuts, and use leaves only, perhaps obviously.)

It wasn't gritty at all - I'd have remembered that, but it would have been blitzed in an industrial blender so I can only vouch for the taste really, i.e. good if less punchy than basil. HTH
----
Someone medical on the radio said they were worried about all this extra washing and disinfecting we're all being asked to do, because it might help with Covid 19 but is very likely to reduce our immunity to bugs generally so making us all more vulnerable when the next super bug comes along. I'm in with "a bit of muck" but muck and unhealthy dirt are two different things.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 pm

Herb, when I had to remove a large R'mary bush, I stripped it and dried the leaves then I blitz them in a coffee/herb grinder and they are then powder. Nice on a shoulder of lamb.... :yum

My oven went on yesterday as we had friends round for lunch. I cooked moussaka, tato wedges, chocolate B&B pudding, apricot tart tatin, a baked onion with nutmeg, and a pastry case. In the fridge we have waiting, the Hairy Bikers recipe for romanian meatball mix but as a meatloaf, a pan of chilli and the makings of a frittata. Probably set up for the next week. Also have some pork in a marinade from Lidls for the BBQ, when the weather warms up later in the week.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 am

We had moussaka last night too, with home grown new potatoes and broad beans. I had intended to do some baking, but the shelf life on the dairy produce was long enough for me to defer it. There's a carrot cake with cream cheese topping and a goosegog tart with crème fraiche custard to be made, but first some gooseberry chutney to an Atul Kochhar recipe. :yum

Braised rabbit tonight, more new pots and beans plus mangetouts.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 pm

J had a yen for steak so we're having tagliata tonight.
He got a beautiful sirloin from the farm shop.

Postby smitch » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Don’t think we’ll be having much for tea tonight. I made a massive cooked breakfast this morning and we’re still really full :lol:

I picked up a vegan Japanese meal kit from a local street food business earlier so that will be tomorrow’s tea.

I’ll make a mezzo feast on Tuesday with some of the beautiful veg and salad stuff from the veg box I also collected today. Will make fattoush, a bulgur wheat salad, something with courgettes and there is hummus and halloumi in the fridge too.

Not sure about later in the week. I’ve got a massive Turkish bread to eat and some veggie shwarma being delivered from Ocado so I’ll probably do kebabs. There will also be macaroni cheese at some point too.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Just had pasta with broad bean tops and parmesan for lunch.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:56 pm

last night I made Burmese Fried Fish Curry from MiMi Aye's Madalay cook book

Here's mine, made with a sea bream

And here's one I had on Christmas Day 2012 in Myanmar

I have another of the sea bream in the freezer, I might make a Greek plaki as it's similar in many ways (though less fish and chilli)

Tonight will be sour chick pea curry, I seem to be in a sort of curry fixation, something to do with the final return of the fine tuning of my sense of taste I think

Postby smitch » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:37 pm

This was our tea tonight https://www.instagram.com/p/CByTWkkJ3In/?igshid=1qm8yjr2wwt5r

The chickpea dish is loosely based on one in Sami Tamimi’s Falastin book. I had no aubergine so used courgette from the veg box we collected at the weekend.

I didn’t have any flatbread to use in the fattoush so used thin slices of slightly stale bread. The radishes, lettuce, spring onions and tomato were also from the veg box.

We really enjoyed it and plenty left for tomorrow :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox