Register

Panic buying

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Panic buying

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:51 pm

I can assure you that pesto made with almonds is just as good as it is with pine nuts, because I´ve made it countless times.
Every time I prune my basil plants (which grow profusely) I can easily harvest 250-400 gms of basil. The only thing I can ever think of is to make pesto!

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:35 am

A deli shop near here makes with parsley what I think might be a sabzi. It's made as a tray bake about 1.5" deep and seems to be blitzed fresh parsley stuck together with egg white and baked just enough to set. (I guess this as there seems to be a thin layer of egg white at the bottom although undetectable in the dense parsley "clog".)

It's amazing as the flavour is so intense.

Maybe basil could be made like that, however "that" is.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:08 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:11 am

:o

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Ocado are now asking you to request a slot by giving them your email address, if you aren't a priority customer. I did worry for amo when it went back to the holding page. I just wanted to edit my order. But all fine.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 pm

Apropos of nothing, they had yeast in Lidl earlier for the first time since lockdown.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:39 pm

herbidacious, I got an Ocado message saying I'd be returned to "this page" if not a priority customer when editing. (I'm not priority.) It then just carried on.

Ours is not to reason why when it comes to their computer algorithms (or glitches).

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:30 pm

I have been trying very hard to buy a jar of tahini for a couple of weeks.

None in Tesco, Sains or the Co-op.
I'm working tomorrow morning so I will have a look in the M&S food hall. If that fails I will have to get off the tram at Clifton, have a look in Morrison's then get back on.

Can't believe tahini has been panic bought, wonder if it's a problem with imports.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:52 pm

What a bummer! I got some from Sainsburys in the middle of lockdown.

I was reading today that people in the state of Victoria in Australia have started panic buying things like loo roll again due to a rise in the number of people who have contracted Covid 19. Was thinking I might buy a few extra things .......

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:39 pm

I bought tahini couple of weeks ago from local whole food /deli

Zoomed with a friend last night who is a manager in the paper industry. He said they are still selling far more domestic loo rolls than usual, but they’ve done the sums and it’s now not far off the shift you’d expect due to people using only home facilities and virtually none elsewhere

Postby Hickybank » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:36 am

With the way idiot's are flaunting the social distancing rules, the crowds on the Devon beaches was shocking, street parties in large city's plus other like Liverpool FC celebrations I think panic buying will return as the numbers of Covid cases are already starting to climb, it certainly worries me.

Postby aero280 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:32 pm

I think the rise in cases of Covid is to be expected. There’s no cure or vaccine yet, so you have to try and save yourself. There will always be a risk of catching it, even if you stay at home and take deliveries.

All you can do is spread out the number of people catching it, so that when they do, there is a hospital place for them if needed. At the moment it seems that the NHS is doing OK, the Nightingale hospitals were barely, if ever, used. The PPE seems to be available now, so the staff are better protected. So all you can do is decide your own risk.

We managed to get some Kleenex Balsam tissues yesterday at Costco for the first time since February, I’m OK For bread flour at the moment, but will need some more in a couple of weeks. I’ve run out o& spelt flour, but hopefully the Holland & Barrett order will arrive soon. I didn’t pay extra for next day delivery, but took the 2-3 day standard delivery option, but it’s four days now...

We had a butcher’s delivery yesterday and our friends got all we needed from Sainsbury yesterday as well. I’m only doing Click & collect hardware shopping iN places like Screwfix, Wickes and Toolstation. OH does the Costco run, the click and collect fish & chips, And the pharmacy visits. That’s about it.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Took a slightly different route through the city centre today and encountered a Holland and Barrett.
Tahini galore :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 pm

That Liverpool issue, surely the powers-that-be should have realised there would be a celebration and taken appropriate proactive measures.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 pm

An ad for this popped up on FB. How about this for profiteering

https://www.squires-shop.com/product/st ... baking-box

They fool no one by counting it in loaves.

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 am

not really a bargain even with the reduction.
i make it worth £5.20 for the flour - at lidl prices, and a couple of quid or so at the zero waste van prices for the rest - and then you'd still have to pay another £5.45 for delivery.
I'd never heard of squires before.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 am

Earthmaiden wrote:What a bummer! I got some from Sainsburys in the middle of lockdown.

I was reading today that people in the state of Victoria in Australia have started panic buying things like loo roll again due to a rise in the number of people who have contracted Covid 19. Was thinking I might buy a few extra things .......

Yes, EM, I read that too. Victoria has really upped it's testing rates and is trying to get on top of the 'hotspots' - partly caused by young people who think the 'it's just a virus, so why worry' and 'old people are going to die anyway - so why worry' :o
I'm sure there are other reasons too!

The Govt. sent in 1,000 army personnel to Melbourne to help deal with the testing and making sure people isolate, problems - I thought that would have sent a message of how seriously people are taking it.

Also, because we have had few deaths (104) and about 7,600 confirmed cases so far, a lot of people seem to have decided it's not really that much of a worry :shock:
Hopefully it won't get too much worse as people start moving around again and State borders open up.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:29 am

I don't think it'll be long before numbers rise here, Rainbow. Hence the feeling that some quiet panic buying ahead of the crowd might be an idea!

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 am

We still have some excess stuff from our last quiet, panic buying!! Hopefully that will be enough to see us through for a while.
Queensland is doing OK at present - still have the borders closed and no new cases and only 2 active cases (that they know about!!).
But you never know what's round the corner :?

Postby aero280 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 am

I see that the DIY places have run low on paving slabs, cement and plaster. And now that builders are allowed back at work, it’s likely to get worse.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox