Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 pm

I find myself wondering what important news this debacle is masking. We have been forced to watch some form of circus act from one party or another continually since the 2016 EU election and I really think that this feels like the straw that broke the camel's back. Surely it can't get worse?

Postby Renee » Mon May 25, 2020 7:13 pm

I have just taken delivery of three good-sized tubs of Marigold nutritional yeast flakes. I seem to remember that Gill has used them. I'm going to have to read up, but it seems that they cann be added to most savoury dishes.

Postby Amyw » Mon May 25, 2020 7:18 pm

Yes vegans often use them to make a “cheese “ sauce . They give that kind of unami savouriness

Postby Rainbow » Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 am

Amyw wrote:Yes vegans often use them to make a “cheese “ sauce . They give that kind of unami savouriness

We both like the savoury, "cheesy" taste and sometimes sprinkle them on food instead of grated cheese. Probably a lot healthier!! (we are vegetarian not vegan!!)
but I've never tried a cheese sauce with them.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 am

It makes quite a good thickener for sauces/gravies etc, even meat ones. I've made 'cheese sauce' with it but am not overly keen. It is quite good for other forms of cream or curry sauce though such as a in a mushroom stroganoff.

I went to a raw food vegan supper a few years back and they had been very inventive with it making a block cheese with butternut squash, included it in grain biscuits and all sorts of things, I have a feeling even in a dessert. I was hoping to find similar recipes online but they seem few and far between. This link has the block cheese: https://anyreasonvegans.com/20-vegan-re ... nal-yeast/

I should add that I am neither vegan nor vegetarian so haven't made as much effort with it as I might, but there's always a tub in the larder.

Postby Renee » Tue May 26, 2020 10:17 am

Thank you for the very interesting article Earthmaiden. I probably won't make any of those recipes, but do intend sprinkling it on Italian sauces, soups etc. It is a complete protein and does contain vitamin B12 which will be useful for vegans.

Postby scullion » Tue May 26, 2020 11:35 am

i think i may have to have a go at the cheese - i've had a large butternut sitting in the store for a few months waiting for it's day to shine!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 am

It may be an acquired taste but an interesting experiment :D.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue May 26, 2020 12:38 pm

My son who lives with us became vegan about 6 months ago. Josh uses it to make seitan (sp)?. It smells very good.

Postby scullion » Tue May 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Pepper Pig wrote: Josh uses it to make seitan

i buy the gluten for that from a local bakery by the kilo - much cheaper than the tubs from whole food shops.
this is my go-to/favourite recipe - really good. they freeze ok, too, if you make a large batch at a time,

Postby smitch » Tue May 26, 2020 1:24 pm

scullion wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote: Josh uses it to make seitan

i buy the gluten for that from a local bakery by the kilo - much cheaper than the tubs from whole food shops.
this is my go-to/favourite recipe - really good. they freeze ok, too, if you make a large batch at a time,

What do you use in place of the chicken seasoning?

Postby scullion » Tue May 26, 2020 3:11 pm

i use marigold seasoning. it tastes pretty close to the chicken seasoning (which says it's vegetarian) you get in those packets of quick noodles so i assumed it would do. even if it doesn't taste like chicken i doubt you would notice with all the other flavours in there. i don't add any extra salt in - i think there's probably enough in the soy sauce and the marigold.
Last edited by scullion on Tue May 26, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby smitch » Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Cheers, I’ll give them a try. I did get some chicken style seasoning in the US a few years ago but used it all up.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Can you imagine how impressed I was when someone banged on my door at 0635 this morning, to tell me my cat had been hit by a car.
When I don't have a cat?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Well, it was nice of them to care!

Postby jeral » Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm

Oh dear. Poor cat and owner. Perhaps the cat will have been chipped.

On a lighter note, I see Ch.5 are repeating The Golden Girls around lunchtime daily. I wonder if the funny lines have stood the test of time now we're three decades older so are that much closer to their age. Betty White is still with us at 98 yrs old no less.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 30, 2020 3:38 pm

I watched a couple of those Golden Girls last week - not a time when I usually have the box on so taped them, & wondered the same thing too - would it be totally dated now - but nope - their one-liners are priceless & really cheered me up amongst all this gloom :thumbsup
It was always a wonderful combination of characters.

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 31, 2020 2:29 pm

We are currently recording re-runs of Judge John Deed and George Gently and thoroughly enjoying them. Hate the adverts so the recordings are good because you can zip through them. Did not like the Professionals. I do have a thing about Martin Shaw ATM. :oops: :oops:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun May 31, 2020 4:22 pm

halfateabag wrote:We are currently recording re-runs of Judge John Deed and George Gently and thoroughly enjoying them. Hate the adverts so the recordings are good because you can zip through them. Did not like the Professionals. I do have a thing about Martin Shaw ATM. :oops: :oops:

I enjoyed those series too :thumbsup

meant to add I have started watching a series on bbc iplayer called Unprecedented ... short plays all about lockdown.. similar to another series that was on not too long ago .. all recorded in the actors own homes :thumbsup

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:54 am

I also enjoyed those series. I like Martin Shaw much better now that he is older!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox