Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby smitch » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

northleedsbhoy wrote:
smitch wrote:If his surgery is anything like mine, there will be plenty of precautions. Mine has sanitiser at the door, socially distant seating and staff wearing gloves, aprons and masks.

I have to go in next week to learn how to self inject my B12. I did offer to go in weeks ago but was told they were doing video appointments. When I spoke to the doctor earlier in the week she said they are reluctant to do video consultations and now my jab is late :roll:

Oh dear, having to self inject my B12 would be my worst nightmare and I honestly don’t know if I could. I have a paranoid fear of needles and for blood tests, B12 injections etc my eyes are tightly shut. My B12 is overdue and have been told they’ll do a blood test in August when next one is due. Don’t really understand that because if I can have that why not the B12?

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

I used to have a fear of needles but a few hospital stays, pre-op assessments and regular B12 injections have cured me.

My GP surgery agreed to my last B12 injection as I was already going in for a blood test. Worth asking them maybe? They’re not actually supposed to test B12 levels once you start injections but it ended up in my favour as mine was far too low for someone having jabs every 8 weeks.

They’re also breaching NICE and BMA guidelines by refusing your injections. That is one of the arguments I used when my surgery tried to put me on over the counter vitamins. Unless your B12 is related to diet, injections should be for life.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Morning all, alternately cloudy and sunny here ...
Suffs, hope you carry on improving :thumbsup
Herbi :newhuggy

EM, which flapjack recipe do you use? I adopted Suelle's back in BBC board time :lol: Thank you Suelle :thumbsup

Are you ever tempted to add things like chocolate or raisins or ginger?

Postby Seatallan » Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Herbi, you do seem to be going through it at the moment what with one thing and another don't you? :newhuggy :newhuggy

Fingers crossed Suffs that you're properly recovering now. :crossed

Still windy here and mainly wet. Wind blew down my bean poles yesterday and every time I tried to re-erect them they blew down again. Have now given up and will replace once the wind dies down a bit. I shall probably walk out to local nursery later as I am in need of more garden twine. If it isn't busy I'll also have a bit of a browse and perhaps pick up a pot of basil if they have any yet.

Have a happy Saturday all :wave
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Good morning everyone,
herbi :newhuggy :newhuggy
It's blowing a hooley and lashing with rain here this morning, it's blooming cold as well. If the forecast is correct it's to be like that all day - a lazy Saturday indoors beckons. The bakery delivery has just arrived so lunch will involve a fresh morning roll and probably a wee bit of carrot cake. :yum Globe artichokes with lemon butter followed by "posh" sausage sandwiches for dinner with strawberries and cream for pudding if we have room. We're maybe pretty much confined to barracks but we're certainly not deprived in the food department. :D

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat May 23, 2020 1:33 pm

What's the deal with the Boots points please?

We have a card but have not received an email.

Thanks.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 23, 2020 2:09 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:EM, which flapjack recipe do you use? I adopted Suelle's back in BBC board time :lol: Thank you Suelle :thumbsup
Are you ever tempted to add things like chocolate or raisins or ginger?

If you followed any of the 'Mont Blanc' thread, you may have seen mention of series of cookery books published by Sainsburys in the early 80's. I usually use a flapjack recipe from one of those books (a well thumbed book!). I have always meant to try Suelle's but don't make it very often.

Over the years I certainly have added things to flapjack, usually seeds, nuts and/or dried fruit. I have never tried ginger - that sounds rather good! I am not really fond of chocolate with that kind of thing but feel sure that chocolate chips would work too.

Postby icelesley » Sat May 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Afternoon campers, the wind is back and boy is it blowing a hooly :shock: I was trying to re stack a tree and nearly got blown away so I have given up and just secured it to a fence post again. No rain either so I have just watered, everything is bone dry. OH and Frankie are asleep watching football on TV :roll: When I said are you asleep OH said he was just resting his eyes but listening to the TV, Mmmmm, do you normally snore whilst resting your eyes?? he said its Frankie snoring. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby mistakened » Sat May 23, 2020 4:52 pm

We usually have dried fruit in flapjacks, apricots are excellent.

Much to our surprise the A/C man turned up about an hour ago, complete with his own cleaning system, including fungicide. It was a bit disconcerting, his sidekick, A Syrian lad had the Moslem Call to Prayer on his phone.
The water is off again, this is getting ridiculous

Moira

Postby miss mouse » Sat May 23, 2020 5:02 pm

herbidacious wrote:
Miss Mouse… but what to spend all that money on in Boots? They have limited selection at the moment (or did last time I looked). I suppose I could stock up on moisturiser and serums it they are available, but not £175’s worth. One used to be able to buy kitchen things in Boots, once a long time ago. (But they wouldn’t be selling them now anyway, I think. And I don’t really need anything.)

Ah, are there no small appliances or kitchen ware any more?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Boots stopped doing kitchenware sometime ago
The only electrical the seem to do know is “beauty” - hairdryers, straighteners, epilators, razors etc.

We had a Boots department store in Wood Green, I think half my cake tins etc came from there but that was a long time ago - there was a point were in my home town they had a branch of Boots that was dispensing chemist and a branch of Timothy White & Taylor that was hardware and household, the dispensary having closed, that would be up to about 1980 and the Timothy Whirpte’s lines were gradually phased out from then

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
If you followed any of the 'Mont Blanc' thread, you may have seen mention of series of cookery books published by Sainsburys in the early 80's. I usually use a flapjack recipe from one of those books (a well thumbed book!). I have always meant to try Suelle's but don't make it very often.

Over the years I certainly have added things to flapjack, usually seeds, nuts and/or dried fruit. I have never tried ginger - that sounds rather good! I am not really fond of chocolate with that kind of thing but feel sure that chocolate chips would work too.

Ah yes, I have seen the thread. I have some of those excellent little books too! I still use the pasta one and bought the Russian one second hand a few years ago after wanting one of the recipes in it made by a friend.

Postby Amyw » Sat May 23, 2020 7:52 pm

God I could easily spend £175 in Boots. Treat yourself to a nice perfume, some lovely bath stuff, few bits of makeup, easily done

Postby Suffs » Sat May 23, 2020 10:44 pm

I always use my Boots points for perfume ... never anything else ...

Night night all ...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 pm

I think I'd probably go for Clarins skincare.

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 am

I don't wear perfume. It gives me a sore throat. It's a pity they don't sell L'Occitane or Rituals or Kerastase... I am not a huge Clarins fan but ther is some neck cream I like. I am sure I didn't spend £60 last time though?!! Mind you the tube has lasted a very very long time. I tend to use Look Fantastic and Feel Unique for expensive toiletries. (You get free samples from them too, usually.)

I think I spent my last build up of points on an electric tooth brush for either husband or mother. I have so many party because I have bought a couple of large kitchen appliances from them.

I am sure I will think of something...

Postby mistakened » Sun May 24, 2020 8:08 am

Good Morning Campers, breezy here this morning. We were amused last night, no problems with the internet. It has been a bit dodgy probably because so many people were using it, last night people were allowed out so no need for big downloads.

Moira

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 24, 2020 8:54 am

Grey & blustery here, sun promised for 5pm...Wuzzle must be truly better, he has just brought home a baby blue tit :( I cannot make it better...

House tidying here on a big scale, property is being valued on Tuesday morning by 2 different agents.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 am

branch of Boots that was dispensing chemist and a branch of Timothy White & Taylor

There was a joke doing the rounds in the early 70s

Why did the skinhead go to Timothy White's?

Because he didn't want to bovver Boots

You had to be there, really.

I've still got a couple of the Sainsbury booklets, Mexican and Pasta. Mrs B and I both had the pasta one when we consolidated.

Postby icelesley » Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 am

Good Morning campers. What a windy day we had yesterday, it seems calmer now but it did yesterday morning too, let's hope it has passed now. It looks like we may have rain today, very much needed for the plants. But apparently it is going to be hot, hot, hot from tomorrow. :D Sunday again, where are the weeks going, it will soon be Christmas :o I am so glad I put the sprouts on to cook last new year, they Will be ready for the big day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 am

Morning all! :wave. Wash your mouth out icey!! Lovely sunny day here with a strong breeze. Gorgeous. I'll have more of that please before thinking about winter.

The big event today is collecting the order from Sainsburys but I'm trying to think of somewhere different to walk without taking the car too.

I bought my first stereo record player in Timothy Whites. I am old enough to appreciate the joke too :).

Ooh 1/2 teabag, I hope you hear good news on Tuesday!!

When I had my Nectar windfall last year I bought masses of uninteresting everyday essentials like shampoo, washing soap, toothpaste etc. as well as a few treats. It's been nice not to have to buy more yet.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox