Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat May 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Yes, Patsy.
That's pretty much the conversation Sue and I had. It put me off the slicer for good.

Renee, you don't need to put any weight on to be able to use it :gonzo

In the spirit of another gadget.
I've just bought a silicone lid.
It has suction, and will save my covering items with cling. It will also fit nicely onto most of my pans.

I doubt it will go into the oven. I'm not always sure about silicone.
24cms is a medium.

30cms would be good for my large mixing bowls - I'll have a look around for one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Lid ... 2749.l2649

Postby Pampy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Silicone can be used in the oven up to 220C but don't let it get too close to the heating element.

Postby jeral » Sat May 23, 2020 4:37 pm

A silicone lid came with my Pyrex multi thing (deep, shallow, steamer dishes.) I've only used the lid on the hob, but the knob gets really hot so I have to remember not to forget that!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 23, 2020 5:58 pm

I bought a set of those stretchy silicone covers that replace cling from Lakeland, who are actually cheaper than most of the eBay sellers

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/26521/6-Kitc ... icone-Lids

Unimpressed - very small sizes, hard to fit as they have to be perfectly centred, and if there is any trace of moisture or oil on the rim then they just flop off.

Be interested to see if Gill’s more substantial one does a better job

Postby Renee » Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 pm

I bought a set of about 8 silicone lids, similar to Gill's. They work well, but I haven't used the three larger ones yet. I need more of the smaller sizes, so am thinking of ordering these stretchy lids which might be better. The reviews are good:

https://tinyurl.com/ydaop3f6

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 23, 2020 6:40 pm

Those are the same type as the ones I have Renée, though a different brand

Postby Renee » Sat May 23, 2020 6:55 pm

I've just been looking at the reviews for yours Sue. Some are excellent and some are definitely not! I'll wait to see what Gill says.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:45 pm

I've not had much joy from silicone lids either. OH brought me back some very expensive round silicone covers from NY many moons ago before they were widely available here and they never worked. They just don't stay in place. You dampen the edges as you're supposed to, press them down to fit the bowl and they just pop up again. Useless!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm

I tried the chipper cutting tool today - I was having a fish cake and spuds of some kind (I know, lots of carbs :klingonbanana :oops: ) ... and it worked perfectly and so easy :thumbsup . Those of a mathematical leaning will understand why the chipped potatoes come out curved. However totally the wrong potatoes, so nowhere near the quality of twice (or thrice) baked Heston style chips :roll:

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 23, 2020 8:00 pm

I like my knives, & slicing I find therapeutic - before I even work out what I'm going to cook I start slicing onions/ garlic etc. so I wouldn't find the alligator useful - we had a metal one years & years ago at home, it was only used for chips - they all came out evenly sized so good for that - they were the best chips I've ever had to this day because they were always double cooked way before it ever became 'fashionable.'

I can see if you have joint issues that it could be very useful.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 23, 2020 10:38 pm

I've got a silicon lid - a pretty one as seen in snazzy kitchen shops in tourist areas. I didn't realise it was supposed to form a perfect seal although it does adhere to the sides of ceramic or glass bowls quite well. It is the size of an average bowl and wonderful for covering things in the fridge or in the microwave. I'd really miss it if I didn't have it any more.

I think the ones that look like bath hats look quite good in place of cling film in the fridge but possibly not if you want a very tight seal.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 24, 2020 12:45 am

Used the Alligator for the first time today and was very impressed - and of course, cut myself on one of the knife plates! It's so easy to use and saves my arthritic fingers and wrists from a lot of pain. I have to admit, though, that I don't think that the clear box does anything useful.

Postby Renee » Sun May 24, 2020 10:32 am

I look forward to receiving mine Pampy, so will compare notes later!

I've also ordered the silicone lids and three containers of nutritional yeast.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Whilst extracting a casserole dish from the cupboard, I found one of these.

It looks happy (in a slightly sinister way)...

Annotation 2020-07-26 112628.jpg

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 pm

It does look happy but what is it for? I thought opening jar lids then a garlic crusher but those teeth are fixed so that wouldn't work - I give up!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:38 pm

I had no idea but googled. It's for cutting chestnuts?!! Glad to say it wasn't costly. My last two attempts at chesnuts were not successful (I have a chestnut pan.. or two) and I can't see me doing it again. Might stick a label on it and send it to the charity shop at some point.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:19 pm

Ah! Might be better than the usual pushing a knife blade through one's finger :lol:.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Sorry Pampy, I missed your update there.
Completely agree with the box. I hadn't thought of taking it off, but will next time I get the alligator out. I'm loving mine, I just chop 5 or 6 onions at a time, and bag them raw for the freezer.

Easy cleaning, but I have given myself a razor sharp cut, just the once.

Herbiness, there's got to be another useful use for that gadget. Not just chestnuts.

Would it cut small tomatoes?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:59 pm

herbidacious wrote:I had no idea but googled. It's for cutting chestnuts?!! Glad to say it wasn't costly. My last two attempts at chesnuts were not successful (I have a chestnut pan.. or two) and I can't see me doing it again. Might stick a label on it and send it to the charity shop at some point.

Now that is niche :lol:

My Chinese cookbook says that that the best way of roasting chestnuts is in hot sand, so the sand transmits the heat gently and evenly, but I haven't tried, and most chestnut pans are made with holes in the base

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:27 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Sorry Pampy, I missed your update there.
Completely agree with the box. I hadn't thought of taking it off, but will next time I get the alligator out. I'm loving mine, I just chop 5 or 6 onions at a time, and bag them raw for the freezer.

Easy cleaning, but I have given myself a razor sharp cut, just the once.

Herbiness, there's got to be another useful use for that gadget. Not just chestnuts.

Would it cut small tomatoes?

I use the box, just to keep the onion in once chopped until I use it. I could chop a batch and freeze, but forget all about this when I go shopping, pass the veg and think I had better get some onions :roll: :oops:

Yes, I too have had a nick from the sharp side of the grid. :evil:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox