Register

Nasty Looking Recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Nasty Looking Recipes

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 am

jeral - I think it is the fascination/horror that anyone would suggest wasting good ingredients on recipes which don't hold much hope of working well (usually thrown together in desperation by magazine compilers) that makes many people stop to read rather than just passing it by!

This is very different to unkindly mocking things enjoyed for generations by whole sections of a community different to yours when you could still discuss whether or not you like the dish but recognise that it is dear to many.

Postby jeral » Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 pm

Sorry Earthmaiden, can't agree. Surely foodies at least would know instinctively if a recipe would be a bin job for them so wouldn't waste the ingredients. Thus it is actually a mockery of anything that seems off the wall to them is it not?

The nearest I can get to "nasty" or at least undesirable is sweet-tasting bread when it's not meant to be in my view.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 1:00 pm

Guess some people find it fascinating and some not, like many things in life 8-).

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:17 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Renee wrote:Your mum must have been a great cook Patsy and you must have had the best pork as you used to rear them!

For passing my 11+ when my peers were receiving gold watches, pens etc, I was given a little pig (a runt) as a pet.

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup

Postby Amyw » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 pm

I agree Earthmaiden , I find reading about ghastly food quite entertaining at times . My mum used to have an old70s style cookbook with some crackers in . I remember the whole poached salmon with cucumber as the scales and curly parsley everywhere as a garnish

Postby Renee » Thu May 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Oh Patsy! :lol: What an interesting upbringing you had! My ex husband and cousin Richard used to go fishing and shooting together and brought me all kinds of interesting things! I used to make a casserole with wood pigeons, which included onions and bacon because I didn't really like the flavour, so disguised it! He brought me pike once. I know that quenelles are made from pike, but it was before I had a computer, so I think that I cooked it slowly.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri May 22, 2020 3:57 am

I find reading about/watching awful recipes fascinating too, theyre often hilarious.
I wouldn't make them, as I know my own tastes and wouldn't enjoy them at all.
Jeral, you mention, "Foodies ", I've never described myself as one, and never will, I'm a food lover.
Everyone I know who describes themselves as a Foodie, has, in my experience been up their own arse about food.
One remembers back in the days of the BBC when one was laughed at and ridiculed for not making authentic recipes, and for buying value food as;".foodies"would never do that.
One has never forgotten it.

Postby smitch » Fri May 22, 2020 9:55 am

There is a twitter account that posts nasty looking recipes from older recipe books https://mobile.twitter.com/70s_party

I guess it is all subjective. Not everyone knows about food or has the confidence to experiment with cooking. If a recipe that is more of an assembly job than actual cooking gives someone a sense of achievement then surely that is a good thing?

Postby Amyw » Fri May 22, 2020 11:53 am

Ha I follow that twitter account Smitch , theres some great ones posted . I normally describe myself as someone who loves food or is really into food . It’s all personal preference but I do find the term foodie a little elitist .
I think it’s all about the balance . I love cooking meals from scratch using fresh ingredients but then I love a cheap fishfinger sandwich on plastic white bread too

Postby smitch » Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm

I had an edam and cucumber sandwich yesterday on Warburton's toastie loaf and really enjoyed it. Sometimes only plastic white bread is suitable :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 pm

I do think that some of the 'dinner party' recipes which appeared in the late 50s & early 60s were pretty awful. Some may have been better in their original setting. For instance, bananas or pineapple with ham was never great in the UK but in somewhere like (for instance) Hawaii where the animal and fruit might have grown together and been served in a way suitable for the climate it would have worked and it is easy to see how it would have transferred to the USA mainland as exotic and then round the world.

I have no objection to many of the concoctions made with tinned meats, that was what was available at that time. I can understand why jazzing up Spam became a thing, because people were probably tired of it. Personally, I feel that heating it does not improve it but I know I am in a minority!

Postby Pampy » Fri May 22, 2020 2:06 pm

smitch wrote:I had an edam and cucumber sandwich yesterday on Warburton's toastie loaf and really enjoyed it. Sometimes only plastic white bread is suitable :lol:

Warbie's is a must for chip butties in my family.

Postby Busybee » Fri May 22, 2020 2:49 pm

smitch wrote:There is a twitter account that posts nasty looking recipes from older recipe books https://mobile.twitter.com/70s_party

Just lost an hour going down that rabbit hole Smitch! Strangely satisfying.

BB

Postby Seatallan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:49 pm

Busybee wrote:
smitch wrote:There is a twitter account that posts nasty looking recipes from older recipe books https://mobile.twitter.com/70s_party

Just lost an hour going down that rabbit hole Smitch! Strangely satisfying.

BB

Ditto!! :thumbsup

There's a corned beef pizza recipe on there which reminded me that my mother made the most wonderful corned beef & tomato flan when I was a child. We used to have it cold on picnics. I wish I had the recipe as I'd love to see if it is as good as I remember.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox