Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Amyw » Wed May 20, 2020 4:05 pm

I had salmon last night at work too :lol: . Mine was tray baked with tomatoes , peppers and garlic and I made some potato Rosti to go with them .

The plan was pasta arrabiatia tonight but I don’t know whether I’ll be too hot for pasta

Postby Amyw » Wed May 20, 2020 8:09 pm

I was too hot for pasta :lol: . Ended up having a baked sweet potato with cheese, coleslaw and made a little salsa on the side . Perfect little dinner sat out in the sun

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Salmon all round then :D

More lemon, blueberry and ricotta pancakes for breakfast. We’ll have turned into these bloody pancakes when lockdown is over :lol:

We got some pork and apple burgers from the butchers for dinner which we bbq’d. We had them with a one pan roast of potato wedges, red onion quarters, whole garlic cloves and rosemary. I par boiled green beans and asparagus and added them to the roasting tray for the last 5 minutes. Roasting green beans is something I’ve only started doing this year but they are gorgeous. I expect being doused in olive oil, salt and pepper in the hot roasting pan helps! We also had some lemony mayo on the side.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 pm

I didn't think it was too hot for pasta ;) I made a dish with prawns, mascarpone cheese, garlic, a pinch of dried chilli seeds, lemon zest and juice, all tossed together with tagliatelle and wilted spinach. I had also made spicy apple tray bake earlier today and that has been hitting the spot every since :oops: :roll:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:57 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I didn't think it was too hot for pasta ;) I had also made spicy apple tray bake earlier today and that has been hitting the spot every since :oops: :roll:

:yum :yum

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Just finished off the curry from the other night embellished with added paneer for me and boiled eggs for him.
I also made an impromptu rhubarb crumble.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 10:57 pm

I decided to make a pasta dish based on the assumption I had a bit of soured cream to use up, but I didn’t

So I had pasta with some bacon, courgette, roasted garlic, Parmesan and sage. Nice

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 am

I made a pizza. I needed some comfort food!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri May 22, 2020 5:00 pm

We have some bavette for tonight. We’ll probably have it with home made chips, garlic mushrooms, slow roast tomatoes, asparagus if we have any left. Maybe a blue cheese butter.

I’ve defrosted some homemade non-spicy bean chilli for the girls. If I’ve messed up and it’s actually a spicy version then we’ll have to have that instead and the girls will have fish fingers. I really should label things properly.

There is cheese and grapes for dessert.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Szechuanish Aubergine & Pork, to this recipe, but more porky. Yum :

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chines ... nced-pork/

Postby Renee » Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 pm

What a lovely recipe Sakkarin and your rice looks perfect!

I oven cooked chicken thighs with skin and bone, added sliced yellow and orange peppers, sliced onion and rosemary. They made a nice change.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm

That does look good Sakkarin!

Lunch was nachos topped with chilli con carne, grated cheddar and jalapeños.

We’re having hake tonight with chorizo, tomatoes, asparagus and new potatoes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 pm

Lunch was a salad including a rice salad made with last night’s leftovers and the remains of some feta

Tonight I had some cauliflower cheese with bacon. I deliberately made extra cheese sauce to stash in the freezer but I have rather more little pots than I expected, last time I did this I must have made a big lasagne or something with the first half of the sauce

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 pm

We had the Spiced sweet potato, roasted tomatoes from Nigel Slater's 10 spring recipes from last week's Observer https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... ng-recipes

It would have been seriously underwhelming if I hadn't added some garam masala to the mashed veg. I also used more turmeric. We had an enormous onion that was delicious, and some mixed colour cherry tomatoes that roasted beautifully.

I simply cannot see the point of mustard seeds. I bought some for another Nigel Slater recipe and found them totally "meh" - but I thought I'd give them another go this time. The jar is now finished and I don't think I'll be replacing it.

Perhaps it's the fault of Sainsbury's spices!!

Postby Amyw » Sat May 23, 2020 11:14 pm

I can imagine the original recipe would be a little meh . Turmeric and mustard seeds aren’t the strongest of spices and I think sweet potato is much better roasted than steamed when you get that nice caramelisation . I’d be tempted to roast them next time then roughly crush them with extra spices .

I do find though I love some of Nigels recipes but a lot of his creations are just assemblies of things rather than a complete dish

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 23, 2020 11:21 pm

I love black mustard seeds but they have to be tempered i.e. cooked in hot oil, when they have a rich, nutty, flavour. I’m surprised he uses yellow mustard seeds which I only use in pickling.

This Madhur Jaffrey Gujarati Carrot Salad is very simple and shows off the black mustard

http://breadbutterandbooks.blogspot.com ... salad.html

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 24, 2020 4:33 am

We had the Spiced sweet potato, roasted tomatoes from Nigel Slater's 10 spring recipes from last week's Observer.
It would have been seriously underwhelming if I hadn't added some garam masala to the mashed veg.

Of course it would. There was no salt in it - apart from a "sprinkle a little salt on the tomatoes". the recipe will never, ever taste exciting unless it has salt in it.
And i congratulate you for adding garam masala; at least there was a little "punch" to the dish.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 am

karadekoolaid wrote:
We had the Spiced sweet potato, roasted tomatoes from Nigel Slater's 10 spring recipes from last week's Observer.
It would have been seriously underwhelming if I hadn't added some garam masala to the mashed veg.

Of course it would. There was no salt in it - apart from a "sprinkle a little salt on the tomatoes". the recipe will never, ever taste exciting unless it has salt in it.
And i congratulate you for adding garam masala; at least there was a little "punch" to the dish.

:lol: Karadekoolaid, absolutely! I'm afraid we're with Rick Stein on salt, who always says that the salt police will be after him as he adds it :lol:

Sue, that carrot salad looks delightful, we will definitely give it a try. I love carrots in salads, with orange, raisins, apples, in coleslaw etc etc

Amyw, yes, Nigel's recipes can be a bit of an 'assemblage' of various ingredients.
OH is a fan and uses a lot of his ideas and likes it that he doesn't necessarily specify chapter and verse exactly what or how much of various things you need.

Postby RockyBVI » Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Lovely sounding food. I’m also quite heavy handed with salt. I justify that I need it by living in a hot place and running (so sweating!) a lot....

On Friday night we shared a steak and had it with onion rings and (slightly bizarrely!) collard greens.

Yesterday we shared a pizza for lunch and for dinner had fish pie with broccoli and peas on the side.

Tonight I am doing a pork mince and chickpea curry that I cut out of a magazine years ago but is delicious. Lunch will probably be beer and crisps on the beach!

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 25, 2020 10:58 am

Planning to do a gnocchi gratin thing tonight. Home grown tomatoes from last year, aubergines, homegrown basil, other things... (including lots of cheese).

I am also foolish pressing tofu. I did think I could make an aubergine and tofu thing last night, but it didn't happen. Not sure what to do with it. I doubt I will want to cook tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox