Register

Cod cheeks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Cod cheeks

Postby jeral » Thu May 21, 2020 9:55 am

I noticed our fishmonger had three or four cod's head, which I assume are for the cheeks. I assume they are cooked whole rather than having the fishmonger remove the cheeks.

If so, any knowledge, e.g. how to bake and how much you'd expect to pay, at least roughly?
Ta.

Re: Cod cheeks

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu May 21, 2020 12:30 pm

I've always bought monkfish cheeks already prepared from the fishmonger - never the whole head as a D-I-Y - cod would be exactly the same just with a smaller head - you rarely see them on display tho' & have to ask for them - fishmongers prize them & are very secretive about having any :stfu - they are delicious, firmer texture than a fillet & cook very quickly - just dust with seasoned flour & fry quickly in a hot pan with oil&butter - they match very well with chorizo or lemon & caper sauce :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 12:34 pm

If I bought a cod’s head it would be to make a fish soup, as LL says I’d expect the checks to be prepared and so,d ready to use
The “tongue” is also edible I believe

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Having written the post above I Googled and found a recipe for roast cod’s head from Saveur, so probably ok

https://www.saveur.com/roast-cod-head-w ... er-recipe/

BUT I notice they expect you to have the collar aka shoulders attached to the head, so a chunk of meat behind the skull

There’s a reference in Parson Woodforde’s diary to eating a roast cod head and shoulders

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm

A case of 'Here's looking at you kid' then...…….. :lol:

Postby Pampy » Thu May 21, 2020 1:48 pm

I've always seen cod cheeks sold on their own. There's a large Asian community where I live and whenever I've seen them at the fish stall on the market, they nearly always ask if there are any heads, bones or skin going (usually expecting them for free!). I'm not sure what they're used for.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu May 21, 2020 1:52 pm

Me too, when I am able to go to the classy fishmonger again he often has cod cheeks.
I use them in fish stew.

Postby Pampy » Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm

They're good for fish pie too - no need to cut anything as they're an ideal size.

Postby jeral » Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm

Well, the heads on the counter definitely didn't have shoulders attached, so if heads are there again I'll spend a moment asking about them.

In 2m queueing times, I can ask them to fillet fish and put it in the fridge, to let them serve others and fillet mine when time allows while I make myself scarce elsewhere for a few minutes.

I've never seen heads on sale before (albeit a small local shop), so maybe there's a shortage of other things to fill up the counter?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Thinking about it, I’ve seen salmon heads a few times, I think they are mainly used for fish stock, there’s a Hugh F-W recipe

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm

A tasty treat from my Periplus "Food of Singapore".

As far as I recall, monkfish heads are removed before they reaches the counter because they are the size of a house and twice as ugly, so I'd assume the cheeks are removed in advance to save us having to look at the monstrous thing.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu May 21, 2020 3:40 pm

My dad told me that Grandma used to buy cod's head & shoulders. I think it would have been stewed and served with parsley sauce and mash. It was probably quite a big thing in those days, they had four lads to feed - I never knew them to eat it when there was just her and Granddad..

I have eaten cod's tongues in the Faroes. Delicious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 4:17 pm

BM - I suspect the cod your grandparents had were the big ones that disappeared in the early 60s? I remember when I was about 5 years old there would be a whole cod hanging up and it would be longer than my height, and probably heavier.

Sakkarin, your Singapore reference has reminded me of the Nonya fish head curry that turns up on so many foodie travelogues

https://www.nyonyacooking.com/recipes/f ... PIdPjvf5-Q

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox