Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 21, 2020 8:02 am

Wow, they both look fantastic.
I'd love to try them. And would probably sub dried breadcrumbs for smash, as I haven't got any.
What a lovely recipe.

Patsy
It takes ages to get through a 10kilo bag of flour.
And you have to not buy other flours you are itching to try, in favour of the monster one you're trying to get through.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 10:52 am

On the potato

Nadia Sawalha gave me the idea p, she uses a small baked potato and I have done so but I don’t always have the ideal potato hanging around

I do always have some economy / value / basic instant mash - if you read the label you can find one that is just dehydrated potato flakes, with sometimes a bit of salt and vitamin c as a preservative. I use as an ingredient in things like this and for thickening puréed soups

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu May 21, 2020 12:48 pm

On the dried potato issue, do you think it could be used to thicken curry sauces please? We have digestive issues (sorry if TMI) and do not use onions much. Not only the taste but the consistancy suffers, the taste we can accept and live with but the sauce is too thin without the onions to thicken it.

Thank you.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:53 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Sakkarin wrote:If you can't find Strong Flour, Tesco's "Stockwell" plain flour (45p for 1.5 kg) makes excellent bread, with a protein level of 10%. I currently have a pack of their their normal plain flour (60p - they were out od Stockwell), which has slightly less protein at 9.9%, but that still seems plenty to make bread. I'll make a test batch today and post a pic. I've also been augmenting my bread with 20% Atta flour recently, and to be honest I prefer it, as it is tastier than plain white bread.

Lidl's plain flour does the job too.

Now that I qualify for home delivery, with a priority slot, I noticed on the Tesco products list some Wholemeal Atta flour. There is a special offer on at the moment £5 ... for 10Kg :o It would take me forever to use a bag that big and then where would I store it ;) :roll:

A word of warning on the availability of flour ... when I did my Tesco online shop Allinsons wholemeal appeared on my final edit, so I ordered some, but it was no longer available for my delivery the following morning.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 12:56 pm

That's happened to me more than once with Sainsburys too KC2,

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:That's happened to me more than once with Sainsburys too KC2,

:thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 1:34 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:On the dried potato issue, do you think it could be used to thicken curry sauces please? We have digestive issues (sorry if TMI) and do not use onions much. Not only the taste but the consistancy suffers, the taste we can accept and live with but the sauce is too thin without the onions to thicken it.

Thank you.

I think that’s exactly the sort of thing it’s good for, where flour or cornflour gives the wrong texture, that smooth glossy sauce isn’t always what you want

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu May 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:On the dried potato issue, do you think it could be used to thicken curry sauces please? We have digestive issues (sorry if TMI) and do not use onions much. Not only the taste but the consistancy suffers, the taste we can accept and live with but the sauce is too thin without the onions to thicken it.

Thank you.

I think that’s exactly the sort of thing it’s good for, where flour or cornflour gives the wrong texture, that smooth glossy sauce isn’t always what you want

Thanks Sue, I'll give it a go :thumbsup .

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 pm

I've just realised, I baked a no sugar banana cake ... but it wasn't supposed to be no egg either - I completely forgot to put the egg in :oops: :oops: Put it down to the heat :lol: :lol:

It looks fine! I wonder what it'll taste like?

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 pm

Well, it was very moist and quite dense, but very tasty! It reminded me a bit of the texture of malt loaves and was very nice with some butter spread on it!

As it's all gone now I might bake it again tomorrow and remember to add the egg!

Postby Amyw » Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 pm

Ah always nice to have a good result . I thought it’d be ok as bananas are usually a good sub for an egg anyway in baking so you were in luck

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Amyw wrote:Ah always nice to have a good result . I thought it’d be ok as bananas are usually a good sub for an egg anyway in baking so you were in luck

I hadn't realised bananas can be a sub for eggs - along with the aquafaba I can see I'm going to have to get more deliberately imaginative :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 22, 2020 2:57 pm

...do not use onions much. Not only the taste but the consistancy suffers

I´m sure the potato flour would fix the consistency, but have you tried using asafoetida (Hing powder) to fix the flavour? Many strict Hindus will not eat onions or garlic, and hing is way to fix the onion flavour.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:I hadn't realised bananas can be a sub for eggs - along with the aquafaba I can see I'm going to have to get more deliberately imaginative :lol:

Read up on vegan cake and gluten free recipes - they have some quite useful substitutes worth knowing about.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri May 22, 2020 5:05 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:
...do not use onions much. Not only the taste but the consistancy suffers

I´m sure the potato flour would fix the consistency, but have you tried using asafoetida (Hing powder) to fix the flavour? Many strict Hindus will not eat onions or garlic, and hing is way to fix the onion flavour.

Thanks KK. There is an added bonus to this equation, hubby has an intolerance/allergy to garlic and, to some extent, onions so I'm not sure how he would react.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 23, 2020 12:13 am

First, big difference between potato flour and dehydrated potato aka instant mash

Second, asafoetida is not an allium, i.e. not a member of the onion and garlic family, so allergies shouldn’t cross over - it seems it is a member of the parsley family

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/e ... u_ass.html

I’m always intrigued that it is used as a substitute for onion and garlic since to me they don’t taste in the least similar but I do like asafoetida (in moderation) especially with brassicas such as cauliflower and with pulses

Postby DEB » Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am

While flour was in short supply I made a batch of Mary Berry's crispy nut and cherry biscuits,with 100% oats, rather than a mix of flour and rolled oats, which I roughly smashed in the food processer. They were such a success I made them again last night, once again with 100% oats.
:gonzo

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Update, banana cake with egg definitely better, although everyone liked the other version :thumbsup

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat May 23, 2020 12:30 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:First, big difference between potato flour and dehydrated potato aka instant mash

Second, asafoetida is not an allium, i.e. not a member of the onion and garlic family, so allergies shouldn’t cross over - it seems it is a member of the parsley family

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/e ... u_ass.html

I’m always intrigued that it is used as a substitute for onion and garlic since to me they don’t taste in the least similar but I do like asafoetida (in moderation) especially with brassicas such as cauliflower and with pulses

Thanks Sue. I did have a look into asafoetida and Wikipedia (I think) said it's a member of the celery family.

Having a discussion over dinner last night it turns out hubby isn't too keen just in case but daughter, who seems to be following in hubby's footsteps re intolerance, would like to give it a go. Most of the food daughter enjoys has garlic in it, at the moment it's not a huge problem but, if hubby is anything to go by, it will be as she gets older.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 23, 2020 1:57 pm

DEB wrote:While flour was in short supply I made a batch of Mary Berry's crispy nut and cherry biscuits,with 100% oats, rather than a mix of flour and rolled oats, which I roughly smashed in the food processer. They were such a success I made them again last night, once again with 100% oats.
:gonzo

They sound gorgeous. I made flapjack this morning because it doesn't need flour. I must add cherries to my grocery order and look up the Mary Berry recipe!

I think that the flavour of asafoetida is an acquired one and that the the taste is so unique and noticeable it wouldn't usually subtly enhance a dish. If you like it it could be a great alternative if suitable though.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox