Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Busybee » Wed May 20, 2020 4:01 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Busybee wrote:We decided against the garden centre, which EM, is a small family run one like you describe, purely because it’s too hot to be planting anything at the moment. Like everyone else all our water butts (except one) are empty.

I’m keeping the one water butt to fill our newly constructed wildlife pond which OH has been busy creating in our front garden. I’ve wanted a pond for ages but we didn’t really have anywhere that wasn’t in the shadow of trees but we had two large conifers taken out in February so OH has been working on a new bed, building a small dry stone wall etc and putting in a pond. It’s nearly finished. I want to attract frogs etc but knowing my luck it will be a drinking station for the rats!

OH was taught dry stone walling when he was at agricultural collage almost forty five years ago, he hasn’t forgotten how - it looks great.

It will be ready for planting in the next few days.

BB

that sounds lovely BB ... can we expect some photos ? ;)

I’ll try, once it’s planted out. We have ordered two hydrangea - sundae fresia sp? for the back of the bed and and are going to plant the rest with typical cottage garden plants. Long term we will split some of my late MIL hostas (can I be very mean and say the nicest thing I liked about her were her fabulous hosta collection) that are currently in pots and plant those in the bed.

We have followed the instructions given on Countryfile a couple of weeks ago re how to make a wildlife pond, can’t wait to see what it attracts. I’m really hoping for frogs.

BB

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 20, 2020 4:18 pm

I see that Venezuela are suing the Bank of England to release gold to fight coronavirus. They say it will go directly to the UN and not to the government. But the UN will presumably subcontract things locally

Sue and be damned... I think the chances of their obtaining the gold are slim, but they´re obviously lying through their teeth as usual. No way that´s going to be used for Coronavirus! More likely to line some corrupt official´s pocket.

Postby Lokelani » Wed May 20, 2020 5:15 pm

I think BBC weather somewhat underestimated the heat here today. They forecast 21 at the most & it felt way hotter than that on first dog walk.

Just for a bit of drama he caught a really large snake. We didn't get to identify it due to speed & distance as it slithered off but we do sometimes see smaller grass snakes.

We didn't think he was bitten but kept an eye on him more closely. He's now pestering for next walk but I'm waiting until it cools down a bit. He's still got his thick winter husky coat & it won't brush out until it's ready to shed.

Hope everyone & their pets & loved ones are okay. This feels like a changing world, but we've got it easy compared to Venezuela by the sounds of it.

Postby mistakened » Wed May 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Tomorrow we are coming out of lockdown. :!: :!: :!: The curfew is lifted, some of the children are returning to school, you can have up to 10 visitors to your home, churches may reopen as long as the congregation distance themselves. Coffee shops, tavernas and restaurants may reopen but there must be distancing between the tables and you may only sit outside, not that anyone sits inside at this time of year.
Personally, I shall be celebrating by a visit to the hairdressers :D
The problem of holidaymakers remains, obviously the hotels are keen to open but how do you check that visitors are Covid Free. At present anyone coming to island is quarantined for two weeks, that is not going to work.

Moira

Postby aero280 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 pm

There's no certainty at all. And it's one thing that you can't blame the politicians for. They have no more idea than the experts.

We have a holiday booked in Denmark for early August. If every country enforces a 14 day quarantine for arrivals, we will need to leave in a week's time!! There are four border crossings on the drive there...

Holiday is looking less likely to happen as time passes. :(

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Frankly, I don't think I'd want to go on holiday anywhere this year unless I had all my own amenities. Even on arrival some things will be closed or have such tedious (even if sensible) rules that a lot of the fun will have been removed.

Glad you've got a nice garden centre BB. Your garden design plans sound lovely.

It was certainly warmer than I had expected in the garden this afternoon. I planted my tomato seedlings into bigger pots, did a bit of weeding and decided I'd had enough.

Just had a call from the wife of the cousin who died recently. Funeral options really are sad at this time. She's gone for a cremation with memorial at later date rather than a 10 people ceremony but isn't allowed to attend by herself or with a supportive friend. So sad. So many people will be needing closure but unable to have it.

Postby Pampy » Wed May 20, 2020 7:59 pm

A close friend of mine died in March - only her son (who was fortunately over here from his home in Madrid) was able to go to the funeral. Distraught daughter in New Zealand couldn't get here. We'll be having a celebration of her life as and when we can but it doesn't feel right not attending her funeral.

Postby Suffs » Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 pm

Difficult times :(

I’m really tired .., a disturbed night followed by lots of potting on etc
Please excuse me if I don’t chat .., we had supper on the terrace and a glass of rosé and now I can’t keep my eyes open ...

See you in the morning everyone ...

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Lokelani wrote:

Just for a bit of drama he caught a really large snake. We didn't get to identify it due to speed & distance as it slithered off but we do sometimes see smaller grass snakes.

We didn't think he was bitten but kept an eye on him more closely. He's now pestering for next walk but I'm waiting until it cools down a bit. He's still got his thick winter husky coat & it won't brush out until it's ready to shed.

Sounds like it was probably a grass snake ... they can grow up to 150cm long .. the largest in the UK. Adders are the only venomous snake, but they only grow to 60cm and quite chunky. Smooth snakes are rare and endangered, confined to sandy heaths in Dorset, South and North Hampshire/Surrey borders ...

Postby mistakened » Thu May 21, 2020 7:21 am

Good Morning Campers, I was in the bathroom earlier this morning when I realised that I could hear the church bell clanging, the first time since the lock down.
This is supposed to be the last day of our very hot weather, we should be back to normal by the weekend.

Haircut day :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana

Moira

Postby halfateabag » Thu May 21, 2020 7:40 am

I dream of getting my hair cut, I have done the middle bit on the top of my head as it parted and 'flopped', roll on June !

Moira, we had a Tiguan before acquiring this Skoda Kodiaq we now have, it was a good and enjoyable car and it held it's price well.

We had a lovely day 12.30 until 6.45 !!! Out in the garden, sitting in the dappled shade of the flowering cherry, the world was put to rights and we had some laughs together with copious quantities of finger food and liquor (& squash). The weather was fab.

Meatballs and pasta for a light supper and crashed out at 9.30, why is a social day so tiring ????

A trip to Lidls & Morribobs (if it is not too busy) for us and our lovely neighbours today.

Wuzzle is fine and is very good at taking his meds but knows when they are happening when I lift him onto the window ledge - he goes a bit stiff and rigid.... His constitution is back to normal by the looks of it but does not finish the course of drugs until a week tomorrow.

Our 3 water butts are nearly empty, I am keeping a few litres for the cats inside drinks, they don't like tap water.

Have good day everyone

Postby Suffs » Thu May 21, 2020 7:50 am

Good morning campers :wave

Positive thoughts and hugs to all in need :newhuggy

The least said about last night the better :roll:
My neck is much better :D but the shoulder pain wakes me if I roll onto that side in my sleep ... and it was just sooo hot and sticky ...

Enjoy your hairdo Moira ... OH cut my hair again the other day ... we travelled from Worzel Gummidge via Jedward to a passable Annie Lennox :thumbsup At least we didn’t have to go to the final option of Sinead O’Connor :lol:

The tomato plants and squashes etc spent the night outside ... we seem to have double the intended number ... where are we going to put them? And where are the lettuce plants going to go ... :?

We have the possibility of storms today ... beware of hail if you have plants outside gardening off !!! :shock:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 10:28 am

Morning all! :wave

My tomato seedlings spent their first night outdoors too. We haven't any storms forecast here, just sunshine and 24 degrees so I'm going to get my walk in before it gets too hot and will just cut a couple of bushes back in the garden later. I used to go out and tidy my whole tiny garden for the season in an afternoon but am finding just a bit at a time suits me fine now I'm a lady of leisure! I'm delighted to see lots of buds on my peony this year.

I checked the Sainsburys site earlier and got a click & collect spot for Sunday. I think it's a bank holiday. The slots available next week were all in the evening and my parking space would get snapped up whilst I was out. Each time I say I will just use local concerns but then a slot comes up and there are always a few supermarket items on the list by then. I must say that the tomatoes bought at the smallholding the other day are absolutely delicious.

You'll have to sleep in a straight jacket Suffs! I usually have a fan on in the bedroom over the summer, an open window has been adequate over the past couple of days.

Hope the day goes well for all.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am

Good morning :wave :wave :wave

I was hoping for a storm early this morning, but nothing happened.

Off to Fitsteps soon... that is off to the kitchen as that is where I do them via Instagram on my phone.. and I use this laptop as a stand for the phone, propping it up against the screen. :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana

Postby mistakened » Thu May 21, 2020 11:02 am

My hair has been cut :D because of various restrictions Valentina was using heavy duty paper towels, she has made disposable plastic capes. Hairdressers are not allowed to use hair dryers yet, not a problem for Deb or myself but it could be a problem for some of the Cypriot girls with their long, thick hair.

The local coffee shops have been repopulated and Poppi, next door is holding her usual Thursday morning coffee session

Moira

Postby liketocook » Thu May 21, 2020 11:13 am

Good morning everyone,
Lucky you being able to get to the hairdressers Moira. While we are expecting some easements announced today for Scotland I think they will be very minor though the recycling centres reopening would be helpful as I have broken fence panels needing dumped.
After a lovely day yesterday (though it wasn't that warm compared to most of the UK) it's back to tipping it down this morning. It's supposed to dry up later before getting very windy tomorrow.
I have compost and fence paint :D :D , my elder son is dropping it off tomorrow. On their way over they will pop by the farm shop which according to the FB page have both globe and Jerusalem artichokes in stock :yum . The first Ayrshire tatties from Girvan are also in so hopefully they wont be sold out. :yum :yum
Tonight we're trying "Korean" fried chicken wings in the air fryer, my son is in charge. I have a jar of kimchi in the cupboard to go with them.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 11:20 am

The majority of my tomatoes had their first night out last night too. All my neighbours did this over a week ago.

I have fewer tomatoes and aubergines than I should as gave too many away, but I still probably have more than I ought to (in terms of coping with them.) They will mostly be potted into their final pots this weekend, I think. I am going to put some behind the bushes that divide up the garden. This spot seems to get sun most of the day and alas one of the rhododendrons seems to be dying off a bit (need to get someone to look at them when I can) so less foliage for slugs to climb up. I am putting 6 on the balcony, but a bit concerned about wind up there. Either I can put them against the balustrade or put them against the wall and put a wind break on the balustrade, I suppose.

Morning Glories are hardened off so need to pot them up too. I am running out of pots.

A bit disappointed with some of the anemones and dahlias I planted. Some are doing ok but others, no or little show. Most were put in pots (albeit it outside) about a month ago.

I have set myself up with far too much to do in the garden. If the outcome of my test is bad I fear I may not be able to maintain the level of work I have been putting into it. I will be lucky if I can get husband to water things (although I suppose I might be able to manage that.) Anyway, perhaps best to try and stay in the moment. I will do as much as I can this weekend.

re medicating cats, Basil is incredibly good at taking his (thyroid) meds, thank goodness... usually! Sometimes he doesn't even break off from his purring. Lily would be a nightmare. Basil has been back to the meowing at 4am trick (wants to go out.) I hope this is not thyroid related. He really ought to have a check-up. which reminds me, we ought to order some more meds for him. I hope we are not missing the boat regarding a possible operation for him.

Holidays. We are hoping we can visit the house in France at some point. If we can get there (Eurotunnel - no contact with others other than passport control and check in), and we can go to supermarkets (which we will be able to) once there, that's all we need. We don't visit 'things' often. We need to check up on it. it will be with considerable trepidation whenever we do eventually go. We anticipate 6ft high grass and ankle-deep dead and live flies. might be able to sort out grass cutting soon/ now though, remotely.
Last edited by herbidacious on Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 11:20 am

p.s. hot and sunny - 26 degrees forecast!

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 11:49 am

I think the biggest worry with travelling is loo arrangements. Whatever arrangement you decide on has a pitfall somewhere, queues, cleanliness, lack of suitable privacy, nowhere to empty your own facilities etc.

Postby scullion » Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 am

good morning, all.
the sun is peeping through although we are predicted mainly bright overcast for today (they got it wrong the other day when we got full sun instead).
after getting milk on tuesday we wizzed down to the beach - the car parks were packed and surfers were down in their droves - and the surf wasn't even that good. i then read online that perranporth and other beaches had had droves of visitors after the announcement that people could drive for exercise - some coming from over eighty miles away. we didn't stay. the public loos at the beach are closed - but i suppose they just warmed up their wetsuits.
my bread pudding turned out really yummy. it was baked in a poorly designed (hybrid) cooker that was given to us in portugal, earlier this year. it doesn't go much above 100°c but so far it has made ok brownies and bread pudding at the lower temperature over longer time.
having come across some vampish red nail varnish last night i painted my nails. they are looking pretty even in length for a change. they now look like fake nails and more glamorous than doing mundane things with them should be allow. they will look skanky and cheap by the end of the day as they start to chip - and when i pick away at them.
have a good day, everyone.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox