Register

Tell me about Sosmix

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tell me about Sosmix

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 20, 2020 7:16 pm

As a sports lover I am very into Adrian Chlies (and I once a stood next to him at the Tuileries). :thumbsup Is he right about Sosmix?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... did-i-miss

Re: Tell me about Sosmix

Postby smitch » Wed May 20, 2020 11:14 pm

I’m not keen but have used it at festivals and as a student. It is very salty from what I remember.

Postby Renee » Wed May 20, 2020 11:34 pm

Sosmix has been around for a long time, but I have never tried it. I'm not too impressed with the ingredients:

Rusk (Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt), Dried Soya Protein, Palm Oil, Stabiliser (Methylcellulose), Rice Flour, Salt, Soya Flour, Modified Potato Starch, Sunflower Oil, Flavourings (Contain Barley), Colour (Beetroot Red). Contains Wheat, Soya.

It can be shaped into sausages, rissoles and used in pies.

If you decide to try it, I'd love to hear what it's like.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 am

I haven’t had it for years and don’t remember being mad keen

I think Chile’s is right to use it as a base and add his own flavourings, I have known people who used it more as an ingredient than an entire foodstuff

https://www.alternativestores.com/index ... duct_id=50

Postby smitch » Thu May 21, 2020 8:11 am

Renee wrote:Sosmix has been around for a long time, but I have never tried it. I'm not too impressed with the ingredients:

Rusk (Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt), Dried Soya Protein, Palm Oil, Stabiliser (Methylcellulose), Rice Flour, Salt, Soya Flour, Modified Potato Starch, Sunflower Oil, Flavourings (Contain Barley), Colour (Beetroot Red). Contains Wheat, Soya.

It can be shaped into sausages, rissoles and used in pies.

If you decide to try it, I'd love to hear what it's like.

Those ingredients look fine to me, nothing concerning other than possibly the palm oil depending on the source.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 10:02 am

I tried Sosmix not long ago. As a child, although not vegetarian, we ate vegetarian foods a bit and enjoyed a lot of the foods that the firm called Mapletons produced. Their Savormix was delicious and I assumed Sosmix would be similar.

It wasn't. I agree that it was salty too. I notice that Adrian is experimenting with all kinds of flavours, perhaps just using Sosmix as a base on which to build might work.

I'd rather have home made lentil or bean cutlets which are not much harder to make.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 am

smitch wrote:Those ingredients look fine to me, nothing concerning other than possibly the palm oil depending on the source.

Agree, no nasties though anything starting with rusk and dried soya protein doesn’t necessarily sound wonderfully appetising

I’m trying to remember, was the Grange’s version different?

Postby scullion » Thu May 21, 2020 11:17 am

i wrote a long post but my computer decided to shut down before i posted it. grrrr.
i have been using sosmix for decades. it seemed to disappear for a while but that may have been because our local whole/healthfood supplier closed down (and had stopped supplying food co-ops when it had changed hands before that) and i don't go in to the health food shops in town very often.
it's back on the menu now as the zero plastic van sells it.
i don't find it salty but maybe the formula has changed to fit in with these 'lower salt' times.
it makes good sausage rolls, meatballs for spaghetti, can be flavoured in the same way as animal sausage meat can. my experiments with making chorizo flavoured sausages resulted in my daughter bursting into tears saying that it was just like sobrasada - a spreading/paté type chorizo - that she had missed since her erasmus year - she has a jar of the mix to make up when ever she wants it now.
it's a very convenient, versatile, dry mix.
the other dry mix i really miss is the five grain burger mix, that disappeared in the nineties for some reason.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 am

I've not used it since the '80s. (?) I used to use RealEat burger and sausage mixes too. But basically I could never get it (whatever it was supposed to be) to keep it's form so not a regular user.
But I think this is my failing rather than Sosmix's, so now tempted to try again.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 21, 2020 5:32 pm

I have to say I´ve never heard of it!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 pm

My post above was asking about Granose version of Sosmix until autocorrect decided otherwise

Postby spangle » Thu May 21, 2020 7:03 pm

I haven't had sosmix for years, it's fallen right off my radar due to the more 'glamorous' veggie sausages around these days. But I do remember quite liking it and would like to try it now to see a) if it's the same as I remember and b) if I still like it. I used to like the little suety bits that melted and gave a nice succulence. I think I've seen it in shops recently but not actually noticed it, although it sounds like there's more than one brand doing similar so must make sure I try the real one first.

I like Adrian Chiles' phrase 'fashion it into sausages'. I don't know why but it keeps making me giggle.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox