Register

Hangover cures

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Hangover cures

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:25 pm

I learned today that any booze in my online shopping could not have been left if no-one over 18 was in to receive it e.g. offspring.

A fine and personal criminal record would apply if a driver did, and was found out presumably, and the shop itself would be in trouble. I fessed up to my driver that I was only 17 just before pushing him out of the door ;)

I don't know if that's the law now or the shop being cautious, but worth knowing as Xmas approaches if relevant to you.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 17, 2020 8:28 pm

Resurrecting this due to lockdown.

Talking to some pals recently they say their alcohol consumption has increased.
Ours is about the same.
We share a bottle of wine most evenings, we often have a g&t before but obviously we're not going to the pub.
Still have at least 2 alcohol free days each week.

However, Friday video calls with our pals in Scotland seem to make us consume faster, resulting in another bottle being opened.

I was a bit frilly round the edges on Saturday so I had tea and toast then did some exercise.
That seemed to work.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Judging by the number of bottles in people's recycling bins when I go for walks, I suspect people are doing more than just making up for not going to the pub!

The best thing ever for hangovers was tablets called Resolve. I think they were discontinued some years ago.

I finally learned, aged over 50, that I don't like the consequences of drinking to excess :lol:.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:29 am

I’m the opposite to a lot of folks in that I haven’t had a drink or cigarette since the pubs shut on 20 March so hangover cures are not required at the moment. I don’t like drinking on my own, I’m a pub drinker or with company and as I can’t do either at the moment then there’s no point in drinking. Same with cigarettes, I enjoy one with a drink they just go together so stopping one stopped the other. Saved a fortune though but downside there’s no shops to spend it in :lol:

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 18, 2020 7:52 am

Exactly the same here, NLB.
We hadn't had a drink, until our local ale bar opened a servery onto the street for bottle sales.
I bought some designer beers, and we had 2 each, with nibbles on Saturday.

No hangover, as when we talked ourselves into another, I hadn't put enough in the fridge. Only the 4.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 am

I'm working my way through the plethora of bottles of various kinds of liqueurs in my drinks cupboard. Usually a different shot poured over a small carton of vanilla ise-cream. :oops:

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 18, 2020 2:32 pm

I know what you mean about drinking more when video calling. We've been regularly having Skype drinks with various friends at the weekends recently and we've found the same- you definitely drink more (and find a second bottle/second G&T hoving into view). :wino

EM, I remember Resolve! It was splendid- worked a treat. I didn't know you can't get it any more. I remember friends of ours always left some on the bedside table in their guest room for those mornings after. And very glad we were of it on more than one occasion!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 pm

Eating 7 packets of crisps might get rid of the hangover but will leave you feeling nauseous, as I learned yesterday.
I watched a Lewis Capaldi live stream with friends (in different houses) on Saturday night hence being a tad drunk!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 18, 2020 3:44 pm

That stuff you give babies with diarrhoea works well. Will have to look it up.

ETA. Diarolyte.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Most hangover symptoms are caused by a build up of acetaldehyde, so really all you have to do is whatever makes your body feel more comfortable until it is all processed

Dehydration isn’t usually as bad as people think it is, alcohol isn’t an effective diuretic - TMIAD did a demonstration using the identical van Tulleken twins, one drank booze, one kept pace drinking the same volume squash, both produced the same amount of urine over the test period

Postby Suffs » Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 am

Lucozade Sport (Isotonic?) followed by a Full English always did the job for me when I was at art school 8-)

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue May 19, 2020 9:58 am

Probably more Irn Bru is sold in Scotland than whisky at New Year because of its hangover cure qualities :lol:

Cheers

Postby liketocook » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm

A big glass of Lipton's Peach Iced Tea and a banana are my go to if a tad "subdued" followed by a big mug of tea and some toast. Works a treat to banish blah feeling.
Our family virtual get togethers are playing havoc with my wine consumption and son makes a mean cocktail...…..

PS - I can't stand Irn Bru and I'm not that fond of whisky :lol: :lol:

Postby aero280 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

I remember "Resolve". I think it was withdrawn because it was being used to confuse the breathalyser. It did, but it also, sort of, sobered you up. Again, that was fine, but the effect wore off faster than the effect of the alcohol, so you could become drunk again without drinking any more. :o

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Resolve was withdrawn for 2 reasons as far as I remember it, but it was a long time ago
1 because it’s not considered ethical to market quite powerful medicines as hangover cure

2. Because of the way people were using it there were concerns about toxicity

When they tightened up the licensing rules, it didn’t make the grade for a marketing authorisation

It did taste nasty too

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Wow Sue & aero! Didn't know any of that. It was very effective though!

Postby Gruney2 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:I’m the opposite to a lot of folks in that I haven’t had a drink or cigarette since the pubs shut on 20 March so hangover cures are not required at the moment. I don’t like drinking on my own, I’m a pub drinker or with company and as I can’t do either at the moment then there’s no point in drinking. Same with cigarettes, I enjoy one with a drink they just go together so stopping one stopped the other. Saved a fortune though but downside there’s no shops to spend it in :lol:

Cheers

I haven't wanted to have a pint in a pub so much since when I was underage.

Postby Seatallan » Thu May 21, 2020 12:01 pm

Gruney2 wrote:
northleedsbhoy wrote:I’m the opposite to a lot of folks in that I haven’t had a drink or cigarette since the pubs shut on 20 March so hangover cures are not required at the moment. I don’t like drinking on my own, I’m a pub drinker or with company and as I can’t do either at the moment then there’s no point in drinking. Same with cigarettes, I enjoy one with a drink they just go together so stopping one stopped the other. Saved a fortune though but downside there’s no shops to spend it in :lol:

Cheers

I haven't wanted to have a pint in a pub so much since when I was underage.

Us too!!! :lol:

We've invented a 'pop up' pub in our dining area (we have a beer garden too). It's called the 'Moon Under Water' and it will be open later if you care to join us.... :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gruney2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm afraid I'll be too busy running the pub over the fence - it's called "The Odd Stones Arms".

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox