Register

Nasty Looking Recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Nasty Looking Recipes

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 18, 2020 3:13 pm

Lordy! That I'd love to see..... :shock:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 18, 2020 3:15 pm

....Just Googled it. Oh my goodness....

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hot-ch ... y-potatoes
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 3:30 pm

I've seen the original video on FB (all I could think of was the bones and gristly bits which would be inside the turkey when it was opened). Funnier still is the in the clip above when someone tries to do it for real. Terrible waste of good ingredients.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Seatallan wrote:....Just Googled it. Oh my goodness....

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hot-ch ... y-potatoes

:vomit :vomit

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 18, 2020 4:49 pm

That's obscene! :)

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 18, 2020 4:51 pm

My Mother's Marguerite Pattern book contains some dated nasties, all made the nastier looking by black and white photos on colour tinted pages (before colour photography in books was commercially viable.) But it's in Sheffield so you will have to take my word for it. It also has some very good recipes in it.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 18, 2020 5:03 pm

I’ve never quite got Sole Veronique. Fish with grapes????

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon May 18, 2020 5:16 pm

That sounds gross to me too, though tbf I've never tried it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 5:39 pm

Possibly a cultural thing but the veg set in flavoured gelatin known as a 'molded salad' has never looked appealing to me. I don't think younger generations are so keen but they were on display in every supermarket when I used to go to the USA.

According to my trusty Betty Crocker there are fruit flavoured gelatins for the purpose, I don't know how sweet they are. I am looking at a recipe for cucumber, celery and green onions set in lime-flavoured gelatin.

I would rather have fruit set in sweet jelly for pudding.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:48 pm

Talking of jelly set fruit/veg, I remember a friend made grated carrot set in orange jelly ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 6:55 pm

I love sole Veronique- it’s such a rich sauce that just a few grapes cut through it in the same way as a dash of wine or vermouth would

I’ve never fancied moulded salads either, not even keen on savoury jellies such as brawn or aspic, though I don’t mind rather softer jellies you get in some starters

I am never tempted by those recipes that make a Snickers bar or a Jaffa cake etc the size of a birthday cake

Postby ZeroCook » Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Seatallan wrote:I love brawn and so did my dad, bless him. :yum

So do I! And homemade is the best!

Ok MagicMarmite - your really nasty velveeta (aka processed cheese) stuffed turkey :vomit and I'll raise you a candied (tinned) yams with marshmallows 'casserole' that accompany it at Thanksgiving Dinner and which, as the recipe says, are an "essential part of any holiday feast." No, really.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/candied-yams-with-marshmallows-4173737

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 8:22 pm

I love candied yam casserole :oops:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Renee wrote:Thanks for the explanation Patsy! Yes I have seen brawn in some supermarkets, but have never been tempted! I'm sure that it tastes delicious, but I'll continue giving a miss! Mind you, I can remember my grandma giving me brains in a creamy sauce on toast and I did enjoy that at the time.

I have seen it in supermarkets, usually dyed pinkish :o presumably as it is a greyish colour au naturel ;) It also wasn't a patch on my Mum's :roll: :thumbsdown

Postby ZeroCook » Mon May 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I love candied yam casserole :oops:

:D :D And why not - so do millions of Americans! :D

On a more serious note tho, who's to say what's nasty amd what's nice? Taste, social conditioning, fashion, snobbery, blah blah

Postby Renee » Wed May 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Your mum must have been a great cook Patsy and you must have had the best pork as you used to rear them!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Renee wrote:Your mum must have been a great cook Patsy and you must have had the best pork as you used to rear them!

She was a very plain cook, but being an East Ender, she was used to things like dealing with live eels. She was evacuated out to Harefield during the war, met and married my Dad, a local boy. The most adventurous thing she ever cooked was Spag Bol ... however, they also kept chickens, so Dad would kill, and Mum would draw and pluck (and by draw, I don't mean sketching ;) ) Then he kept pigs over in the Church gardens. For passing my 11+ when my peers were receiving gold watches, pens etc, I was given a little pig (a runt) as a pet. The very best pigs liver I ever ate was when Dad had a pig slaughtered and brought home the liver, still warm. He just fried it and we ate it with bread and butter :yum Dad also had friends who went sea fishing. Once he was given a large Skate that he and Mum then had to skin and joint. That was my first experience of Skate knobs ! :o :thumbsup ..

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Our butcher makes brawn and very nice it is too. It was always important to remember to buy some to take with me whenever I visited my aunt back in Edmonton.

Postby Suffs » Thu May 21, 2020 9:00 am

Coming late to this thread ... another fan of well made brawn here ... Ma wasn’t the worlds best cook :roll: but her brawn was heavenly ... the pigs head and trotters were lightly spiced and brined before cooking, and the meat was in small chunks rather than shredded as Norfolk butchers make it.

Postby jeral » Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 am

Brawn was one of my dad's favourites when I was young. I don't recall it being bought for us kids so maybe it was expensive as some things were at that time. It was probably the jelly I liked. I assume adults do also or posh terrines wouldn't have been so popular.

Ic an't think of any reason why I'd linger over nasty recipes. Surely one just passes on if a recipe doesn't appeal?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox