Register

Heritage Potatoes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Heritage Potatoes

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -ease-glut

I wonder what T. will be charging for these? My thoughts are eat some and grow some..?

Re: Heritage Potatoes

Postby Suffs » Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Yukon Gold is delicious and the Red K Edward is quite tasty ... I’ve eaten some of the others too ... they’re pretty but the taste was nothing special IMHO.

Postby Renee » Sun May 17, 2020 7:50 pm

15 to 20 years ago, Yukon Gold potatoes did appear in some supermarkets. They came and they went. I was disappointed at the time because they were excellent for roast potatoes. Waitrose has Red King Edward potatoes.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 17, 2020 9:36 pm

I shall keep my eye out for them. The last Tesco potato I raved about was the Elfe ones they used to stock, long since disappeared (I think).

Felicity's fondant recipe below, dug out in anticipation, although I'm not entirely sure what "cut in half laterally" means. I always have difficulty when they use these words, "lengthwise" always foxes me too, although writing them down here they sort of make sense. Actually looking at her piccy, one seems to have been halved lengthwise not laterally, according to my definition of those two!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... t-potatoes

I have to say that "heritage" doesn't quite conjure up the mental images that I think it's intended to, to me it brings to mind poncy little semi-burnt carroty things on the side of plates on the likes of Great British Menu.

Postby Pampy » Mon May 18, 2020 12:00 am

I've bought from Carroll's over the years, although less in recent times because I don't eat as many potatoes. Yukon Gold are lovely roasted as are Mayan Gold but the Mayan needs very careful cooking as it falls very quickly.
I've seen Yukon Gold in Sainsbugs occasionally and also Elfe in Tesco but they're not there regularly.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 am

Sakkarin wrote:I shall keep my eye out for them. The last Tesco potato I raved about was the Elfe ones they used to stock, long since disappeared (I think).

Felicity's fondant recipe below, dug out in anticipation, although I'm not entirely sure what "cut in half laterally" means. I always have difficulty when they use these words, "lengthwise" always foxes me too, although writing them down here they sort of make sense. Actually looking at her piccy, one seems to have been halved lengthwise not laterally, according to my definition of those two!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... t-potatoes

I have to say that "heritage" doesn't quite conjure up the mental images that I think it's intended to, to me it brings to mind poncy little semi-burnt carroty things on the side of plates on the likes of Great British Menu.

They have definitely been cut length-wise. I would assume laterally would be cut in the opposite way, e.g. across the width.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 10:03 am

I must have a go at them sometime

I’ve had them in restaurants a couple of times but never had one that was at all crisp, but they have usually, as she says, been soaked in stock

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 18, 2020 10:40 am

IIRC.... Ina Garton always referred to Yukon Gold potatoes . I got the impression they were the only kind available in her part of the world (The Hamptons ?) :roll: ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 18, 2020 10:51 am

My favourites at the moment are Apache which Waitrose sell. I know it might sound a bit gross to some people but you can mash them with their skins on and the mash tastes terrific. I think. OH not keen, as usual.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 11:21 am

I’m sure you can get more than Yukon Gold potatoes in the Hamptons, all those small farms growing heritage varieties, but they may be the only premium variety that she can be fairly sure the viewers will be able to get in Walmart

The big thing in the US seems to be the Idaho Russet potato, which turns up as the baked potato with your dinner quite often in the USA. Good texture and often way too big for one person.

Postby Amyw » Mon May 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Pretty standard sizes for Americans isn’t it . My friend and I weren’t hungry one evening but had gone out for a few things so wanted something to nibble on . We ordered nachos and they came out in an actual mixing bowl drenched in toppings . It looked like we hadn’t eaten anything by the time we’d finished what we could

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 1:43 pm

I vividly remember being served a chicken fried steak in N Carolina (a beefsteak schnitzel really) that was the size of a dinner plate and accompanied by an Idaho potato the size of a baby’s head which came with about 4 oz butter and a Whole jug of soured cream

Postby Pampy » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 am

Sakkarin wrote:The last Tesco potato I raved about was the Elfe ones they used to stock, long since disappeared (I think).

Waitrose has got Elfe potatoes is at the moment

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue May 19, 2020 8:24 am

I bought some Celandine potatoes from the Co-Op a while back and I thought they were lovely. They had a sweetish flavour and went really well with steak, salad etc.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 am

Celandine? Are they yellow? I’ve had very yellow potatoes in some places

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 am

F0FD3D38-858C-400D-B8E6-D4BFD77BFBC3.jpeg
F0FD3D38-858C-400D-B8E6-D4BFD77BFBC3.jpeg (203.64 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
This is them Sue, they are yellowish.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 am

Yup, pretty yellow?

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Last year we were buying Elfe from Waitrose, they served us well.

A year on and we're not visiting the supermarkets if we can avoid it so we bought a 25Kg sack of spuds from a farm shop (quite out of the way and not very busy, in fact we were the only customers at the time). They're called Markies, never heard of them before but they made great chips to go with our fish last night :thumbsup .

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox