Register

Nasty Looking Recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Nasty Looking Recipes

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Do you ever read a recipe and think straightaway that it would be horrible? Some can be quite funny.

Someone has given me the Easter copy of an Asda magazine. There's a recipe for a trifle which consists of:

A layer of sugar free orange jelly in a deep glass bowl.
Halved hot cross buns placed round the jelly on their sides so that they look pretty through the bowl. Drizzled with Fino sherry.
Satsumas sliced in slices going across the fruit - slices placed on top of the buns.
Cooled Asda Instant No Sugar Custard poured into the middle and over the top of the concoction.
Topped with whipped cream, toasted pieces of bun, Easter egg chocolate, chopped pistachios and satsuma zest.

Re: Nasty Looking Recipes

Postby scullion » Sun May 17, 2020 10:37 pm

sounds like asda had a load of leftovers from easter and want people to buy them!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 17, 2020 11:20 pm

I lost interest at "sugar-free" :-(

I suppose it's cheating really, but my Papau New Guinea and Loatian recipe books both have some nasties in them. And most cuisines seem to have a variation on "Head Cheese" which I tend to skip...

Postby Renee » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 pm

Now I've heard of head cheese, but can't remember what it is. Too late to look it up now.

I wouldn't have been tempted by that trifle. :thumbsdown

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 12:16 am

I don’t fancy hot cross buns in trifle, or all the sugar free junk - and fino sherry? Err no thanks, I like fino, but it goes with salted nuts, not dessert

Yes I see loads of those, I’ll try to think of some

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 12:52 am

Renee wrote:Now I've heard of head cheese, but can't remember what it is. Too late to look it up now.

I think it would be what I know as pork cheese, chopped meat from a cooked pig's head set in meat jelly.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 18, 2020 7:10 am

That trifle looks like a diabetic friendly recipe to a certain extent. As I'm diabetic myself, I ended up making a similar one at Christmas, but used some HM trifle sponge that was stashed in the freezer. I'm not sure the texture of a HCB would be right in a trifle though.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 9:20 am

I get the sugar free part - it was more the combination of ingredients (all of which I like in their own right) the picture didn't even look nice!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 am

I think the topping is odd.
Why satsuma zest - it's not particularly nice eating.

What's wrong with hundreds and thousands?

I find Sainsbury recipes nasty to look at in general. "with a twist".

Healthier bucket chicken made with cornflakes anyone? https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipe ... et-chicken
What's healthy about cornflakes anyway .............

Postby Renee » Mon May 18, 2020 10:14 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I think it would be what I know as pork cheese, chopped meat from a cooked pig's head set in meat jelly.

Thanks Earthmaiden. I had a feeling that it was something that I wouldn't like to eat!

Postby cherrytree » Mon May 18, 2020 10:16 am

During the pandemic the Guardian has had article after article in theG2 section of the paper containing loads of nasty recipes.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 am

Earthmaiden wrote:
Renee wrote:Now I've heard of head cheese, but can't remember what it is. Too late to look it up now.

I think it would be what I know as pork cheese, chopped meat from a cooked pig's head set in meat jelly.

Commonly known as Brawn round these parts ;) Yum ... MY mum made the most delicious brawn .. It did help that Dad raised pigs .. Nose to tail eating and all that :thumbsup

Postby Suelle » Mon May 18, 2020 11:27 am

My Grandmother made delicious brawn too. She used to give my Dad enough for a family of 6, but only he and I would eat it! Bliss!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am

It was years before I discovered that brawn and pork cheese were the same things. The former was always formed into a block from which slices were cut. The latter was available as an occasional treat from our Norfolk butcher. Made in individual sized pudding basins with a really rich dark brown stock. When turned out each was a bowl shape and you had one each for a summer salad lunch - it was considered a treat!

It does seem as though newspapers and magazines really scrape the bottom of the barrel for recipes sometimes!

Postby Pampy » Mon May 18, 2020 12:36 pm

I've seen a lot of so-called recipes recently which are just an assembly of different items - no skill needed to produce them at all.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 18, 2020 12:37 pm

On another board I visit there is a poster who shared a flat with a girl whose speciality was to put Creme de Menthe in everything!

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 pm

:o

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 18, 2020 2:27 pm

I love brawn and so did my dad, bless him. :yum

Have to say the trifle recipe sounds pretty grim. I particularly like the way everything is sugar free until the topping, which then goes into calorie/sugar overload. Reminds me of the parents of one of my sisters-in-law, who will polish off an enormous roast dinner followed by two puddings, and then put Canderal in their coffee 'because we're trying to lose weight' :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Renee » Mon May 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Thanks for the explanation Patsy! Yes I have seen brawn in some supermarkets, but have never been tempted! I'm sure that it tastes delicious, but I'll continue giving a miss! Mind you, I can remember my grandma giving me brains in a creamy sauce on toast and I did enjoy that at the time.

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon May 18, 2020 2:54 pm

There's godawful recipes that pop up on my Facebook feed, one the other day involved shoving an entire block of cheddar inside a Turkey.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox