Register

Bargain Basement

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:31 pm

Two very useful bits of kit in the Aldi centre aisle this week.

A very good picker-upper at £4.99. I was looking for one anyway, to get the poo bags out of my bins that someone keeps putting in (in the wrong bin), and occasionally I put stuff in the wrong bin myself which need hoisting out. I didn't want to use Amazon/Ebay, as you can't tell from the pix how durable they are. My bins are huge, hence need for implement.

And a huge silicone lifter, marked as being for pancakes, but I will probably use it for omelettes and cakey things. £2.99.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/red-slotted-panc ... lsrc=aw.ds

Postby Renee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:30 pm

Good products! The pancake lifter is a good size.

I had to use my garden rake to get cardboard out of my garden waste bin.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Weekend only, Lidl are selling Gutemalan, Java/Sumatran and Kenyan ground coffee half price at £1.12 a pack. I've got two Java and a Guatemalan. Would prefer beans, but at that silly price I'll go with ground - the amount I drink it should be OK, a pack lasts me 10 days or so.

I remember pre-Aeropress (when day-to-day was instant) a pack of ground coffee would last months, after a year or so it would get chucked and I'd buy a new one...

Postby Wic » Sat May 02, 2020 2:28 pm

In Morrisons this morning they had divided big catering sacks of bread flour into 1kg bags and they were selling them at 60p. A good thought.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 04, 2020 6:15 pm

I remember a while back seeing the Morrisons baker struggling with a pallet with probably a couple of tons of flour on it! Answered the question for me as to whether the bread was made in store or just "reheated" as much supermarket bread is. But then maybe their more exotic breads are still bussed in pre-prepared.

Never ceases to amaze me the bargains at Lidl. Yesterday - 250g Camembert 55p! 90g proscuitto 99p!! 150g Roquefort £1.19!!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Haa! I forgot to mention the other day that I had spotted the Jam Makers in Lidl that Ianinfrance once recommended for Sous Vide (in conjunction with a controller unit which I bought on his recommendation) - it is the first time I've ever seen them on sale there. I checked out where Ian mentioned them on Wildfood, and it was just a few weeks shy of 10 years ago!!!

Better late than never, but at £59 I'm afraid it's not on my shopping list. Opposite of Bargain Basement in a way...

Here's where Ian mentions it, but most of his entries have disappeared from the thread, so it may well be the full 10 years.

http://wildfood.info/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... 194#p13347

Postby scullion » Sun May 10, 2020 11:36 am

i saw them when they were on sale years ago and was sorely tempted but didn't succumb. i wish i had. trying to pasteurise bottled apple juice in a big pan is a real pain especially trying to keep the temperature at the right level.
if they are down here i may have to risk the outside world and treat myself - with the cash i've been saving by going nowhere!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 11, 2020 6:29 pm

Hope you track down a Lidl nearby!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Not food, but Tesco, and probably worth knowing...

My favourite "everyday" jeans are £15 in Tesco, but there's usually an offer of 2 for £25. Today (till the 19th) they're selling everything F&F half price, so I bought 2 pairs.

The lady on the till didn't know whether to run them at £15 off £30 for two or the £5 off for the "2 for £25". So she did both. £15 off plus £5 off.

End result - 2 pairs for a tenner. RESULT!

Postby jeral » Sun May 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Blinkin' 'eck, that is a barg!

Postby Renee » Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm

A bargain!!! Well done Sakkarin. :clap :clap Maybe get two more?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Here's me counting the pennies, when what should appear on the BBC news website but news that this pair of trainers was sold for £430,000 at Sothebys. I find that absolutely obscene on every level.

Postby Renee » Sun May 17, 2020 11:50 pm

I don't even like them!!! :thumbsdown

Postby jeral » Mon May 18, 2020 12:17 am

Well Tsk! Hrmphh! Second-hand trainers! It amazes me but there really is a collectors' market for them.

A novel design can make a big difference, given Dyson is now top of the UK rich list @£16bn, not that any of his products could be described as a bargain.

On me, me, me, I was thinking of buying a foot spa. Has Dyson invented one yet so that I can run a marathon next year without flooding the carpet beforehand?
Any recommendations please?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 18, 2020 7:57 am

Great news on the jeans.

We've noticed that Waitrose has no queues recently, and they are beginning to sell at reduced prices.
Well that will be because they've been stroppy during the lockdown, and have lost customers in their droves. Me being one of them.

Postby Renee » Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 am

Waitrose is the only supermarket that I go to at the moment and I can guarantee to get a Click&Collect slot any time I look in there. It is not in the centre of a town, so is very quiet when I go in there. I did get there for 8am for a few weeks, until I realised that I could get a Click'nCollect slot and I was usually the first waiting to go in. The important thing, apart from safety, is that my car gets a good run.

Postby jeral » Mon May 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Q: Is there a useful supermarket comparison site now that mysupermarket is sadly no more?

I've noticed a lot of the prices seem to have increased lately :(

Postby Pampy » Mon May 18, 2020 2:32 pm

jeral wrote:I've noticed a lot of the prices seem to have increased lately :(

I've noticed that too. I see that the Competition and Markets Authority is asking the government for temporary authority to prosecute companies that are hiking prices during the current health crisis.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:21 pm

jeral wrote:Q: Is there a useful supermarket comparison site now that mysupermarket is sadly no more?

I've noticed a lot of the prices seem to have increased lately :(

There was a thread about this on moneysavingexpert: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... ose#latest

One of the peeps set up a sort of alternative, called shelfscraper (http://www.shelfscraper.co.uk/). I haven't actually used it because I'm no longer in the position of being able to shop around and go to the supermarket with the best offer for whatever I need!!

Postby jeral » Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm

Pampy wrote:
jeral wrote:I've noticed a lot of the prices seem to have increased lately :(

I've noticed that too. I see that the Competition and Markets Authority is asking the government for temporary authority to prosecute companies that are hiking prices during the current health crisis.

[my bold]

Good luck to them with that. The government is doing the same thing by insisting TFL (London Transport) not only reintroduces congestion charges but for longer hours per day and now including weekends plus a price hike in two weeks. Good to know they're leading by example. Besides, the gov't needs to keep its powder dry for the eye-watering pip squeezing that they'll do to reduce current off the scale borrowing debt.

Thanks KeenCook2. I came across Shelf Scraper; a valiant effort and must be work-intensive for updating. It might become more sophisticated but it's not much of a time saver to me as it is I'm afraid.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox