Register

Where will be your first port of call?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Where will be your first port of call?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 am

Once restaurants and the like re-open that is. JayRayner is going French. I can’t wait to get back to Brasserie Zedel.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... -be-french

Re: Where will be your first port of call?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 am

Anywhere with a pleasant ambience would be nice - for the social activity and ritual as much as good food.

I think, for some time at least, I will stick to a lovely cafe with outdoor tables near a canal not far away from here or a garden centre with plenty of space. Both do delicious food even if not quite in the league of top class restaurants. I do enjoy going with a friend to our nearest Rick Stein joint or little places we find in the Cotswolds. I was only reading something yesterday which made me think how nice it would be to be able to go. That's a long, long way off as far as I'm concerned.

Postby scullion » Sun May 17, 2020 11:57 am

the beach cafe.

Postby mistakened » Sun May 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Melanda Beach Taverna

Postby Renee » Sun May 17, 2020 12:12 pm

It will be when I go to stay with my man friend Colin again and we will go to Rossini, which is a little Italian restaurant in Wokingham.

Postby cherrytree » Sun May 17, 2020 12:19 pm

I heard a lovely programme about Kielder Water on Radio 4 so we are going to visit that when things are a bit safer. I don’t think we can morally go at the moment when we’re telling everyone one to keep away from the Lake District.
When the Olde Greyhound pub in Bromfield, the pub owned by my butcher opens, we are bagging the first table!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 17, 2020 12:22 pm

The trouble with going somewhere like Zedel or. Chinatown is having to wrestle with transport

I am afraid that some of our locals will not reopen, as I said before I’m kicking myself I didn’t try them as I meant to, so it will be a priority to go to those that resume, notably Perch, an American style BBQ restaurant which has been doing sterling work supporting care workers. Also local gastropubs, a Spanish tapas place, and some of the Vietnamese places. Oh and the Japanese small plate café

But following on from Rayner’s article, I might try the Flying Frenchman again, I last went a year ago before they had a full menu. it’s walking distance, and opposite Perilla which I also keep meaning to try; you might remember the chef Ben Marks on Great British Menu last year

Postby smitch » Sun May 17, 2020 12:38 pm

I have a list of stuff I want to do. I’m also concerned that some of our favourite places may not reopen, although some of them are offering delivery and/or collection but the city centre is to far to go at the moment. We tend to go to small independent food places and bars and so far one of them has said they won’t be reopening this year.

Top of my list is our nearest good pub at Stalybridge station https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/may/03/readers-train-railway-cafes-bars-restaurants for a pink of cask beer.

I also want to go to the seaside. I grew up near the coast and really miss the sea air. Im not keen on the west coast though so will have to persuade my OH to drive us to Yorkshire :lol:

Postby Lokelani » Sun May 17, 2020 1:11 pm

It will be our favourite local excellent foodie pub, if they survive.... They have tables in the garden, but I think busy or crowded places will just feel too risky for a while. I hope they don't open sooner than enough people are happy to go back, otherwise that will adversely affect their business even further. The timing is going to be so hard for that trade, as they have to get food & staff in & then it would be awful if they were nearly empty. I guess shops with non perishable stock are easier to open & just see how many customers they get.

Our first holiday will hopefully be in Cornwall in the usual cottage we've been going to for years, out of season as always. We have more time to eat out when on holiday & I'm really looking forward to going back to The Mariners in Rock, The St Tudy Inn, Duchy Cafte & all our other favourite foodie places. My only concern is how crowded it will be, if people that usually go abroad all decide to holiday at home. In that case I think we might not holiday at all sadly. We don't like crowded places at the best of times.

Postby Seatallan » Sun May 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Local foodie pub (George & Dragon) and our alternative local, the Punch Bowl. Really hope we're able to do so before the end of the summer.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby cherrytree » Sun May 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Now the George and Dragon is very nice indeed. We must go again when all this is over.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun May 17, 2020 3:45 pm

So many places. Especially some of the independent delis, cafes and restaurants in the village. A great food hall/market 5 minutes down the road for a Friday dinner with friends. A glass of champagne and a crab sandwich at Hell Bay on Bryher on the Scilly Isles when the boats are running again.

I will look out for the George and Dragon Sea...do you have a link to their site please? Your Punch Bowl is different to the one in Crosthwaite isn’t it? We have a couple of nights booked there in December :crossed

Smitch, you work in the city centre don’t you? Have you been able to work from home? I have to get a very crowded northern rail train in which stops at all the tiny stations...I hope it’s a while until we all have to go back in.

Postby smitch » Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Yes, I work near Piccadilly station. My workplace sent all but essential staff home before the main lockdown announcement. A far as I know, only security and lab staff remain on campus. I’ve been working from home ever since. I already had my laptop but we drove in whilst I could still access the building to collect my special chair, laptop dock, keyboard and monitor.

We normally drive the 10 miles from home to work as I have. Very cheap permit for the work car park next to my office building. The train service from here is awful, always late and extremely overcrowded. Transpennine took over from Northern on our route but other than slightly nicer trains, the service is just as bad as before.

We’re not expected to return to the office for sometime although some staff can start going in now on a phased basis. As I’ve applied for severance, even though I don’t think I want to leave, I might never go into the building again :cry:

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Caveat emptor. I'll wait for a week or three to see how the numbers spike after the gates are opened. My instincts tell me not to be one of the proverbial canaries. Methinks that failed governments are trying to get the crowds out and shopping/spending without having dealt with the core epidemiological problem, much less care about it other than bandaids for business liquidity issues. Bon appetit.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm

I'd be happy just to have a beer and a bag of crisps in the local micropub, with some pals.

Postby Seatallan » Sun May 17, 2020 6:05 pm

cherrytree wrote:Now the George and Dragon is very nice indeed. We must go again when all this is over.

:thumbsup Let me know if you do and I'll pop down. We live only a couple of hundred yards away.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 17, 2020 6:21 pm

We had this conversation yesterday, The Red Lion at East Chisenbury, a turkish place we only heard about just before lockdown that's not too far.

Tomorrow we are heading to Great Bustard territory with our binoculars to see if we can find them. Hicky, if you read this, great memories of doing this with you and your gang...... was it last year or before????

I am missing the sea as well..... so much so, have been trawling the i'net for a holiday home somewhere warm & foreign with good food....

Postby Suffs » Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm

We’ll be heading for Galton Blakiston’s chippy No 1 above Cromer pier :limbobanana

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Well I won´t be heading anywhere here, because we´ve got a national petrol shortage. Our execrable dictatorship thinks it is more important to provide petrol for the military than for anyone else. And normal human beings like me are at the bottom of the list.
IF I were in London, I´d head for Busaba Eathai in Soho. The last time I was in London (2015 - 2018 doesn´t count because I was only there for 36 hours!) we had a truly memorable meal there.
If I were in Maidstone, I´d head for the King´s Arms at Boxley.In 2018 we went for lunch with some friends and I think it´s the first time I could ever say that a meal was perfect. Everything,perfect!

Postby Grasshopper » Mon May 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Hope our favourite tea-room survives - we would like to go there again. Also, there are numerous other places I would love to go to.
But for the moment I would be grateful to visit (even if I HAVE to sit outdoors), anywhere I can have food & a cuppa - even a Greggs!

Their bacon rolls - mmmmmmmmmmmm

:yum
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox