Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 16, 2020 2:38 am

Amy - do try and make the aubergine dish with peanuts/sesame seeds . It is really worth the effort.
I ate the leftovers today, and they were even better than yesterday!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Tonight will be very simple.

Small dices of red pepper, garlic, red onion and chilli cooked very gently in olive oil then stirred through tagliatelle.
There will be a salmon steak on the side.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 16, 2020 9:22 pm

Dinner is fusilli with a quite intense homegrown tomato sauce. (I discovered late in the season that the best sauce was made from cooking the tomatoes for much longer than I had been so far... um discovered by leaving some in the oven, forgetting about them and going out for dinner... and this is one of those later batches.) With garlic, onion, capers, mixed Italian herbs. Will stir in mozzarella at the end and serve with parmesan.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Sounds lovely Herbi.

My dinner could have done with more chilli.
Sadly it was quite a mild one and I like a bit of fire in my food.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat May 16, 2020 9:41 pm

That sounds really good herbi.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with wild garlic butter and potato cakes.

We didn’t manage to finish all of the leftover afternoon tea cakes today so I’ve dropped the last ones off at my mum and dads.

Feijoada for dinner and dessert will probably be some fruit. Possibly some cheese too.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 17, 2020 11:38 am

Sunflower's Lemon Chicken again yesterday, presented very differently from the last time I made it!

The rice looks yellowish because I used some lovely brown jellied chicken stock I'd just made instead of plain water.

Postby Renee » Sun May 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Your previous attempt was most artistically presented, but far too much chicken and too little
rice! Yesterday's was so much better and the rice would be delicious made with the chicken
stock. :thumbsup :clap :clap

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 17, 2020 12:20 pm

That looks lovely, Sakkarin.

You've all had lovely things again. The Feijoada seemed to turn out very well OMCO. The afternoon tea looked a huge treat too!

I too had some jellied stock to use yesterday- a lovely lemony, garlicky one. I used it to make a sauce to go with sauteed veg including onion, more garlic and a pinch of chilli flakes, then added noodles, prawns and some creme fraiche topped with some parmesan to serve. Rather good.

Back to the chicken tonight. I never tire of cold chicken. Think I'll make a rice salad using the rest of the good stock and add pine nuts and the sultanas.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun May 17, 2020 3:32 pm

After Herbi’s tomato talk, I took some vine tomatoes out of the fridge last night. I was up before everyone else (I love an hour on a Sunday morning with the paper, a coffee and complete silence before the madness starts :lol:)... so I slow roasted the tomatoes with s&p, evoo, pinch of sugar and some thyme. We had those with toasted sourdough, garlic mushrooms and fried eggs.

Lunch was caprese salad with some olives, pickled vegetables and salami. Plus an oaty biscuit afterwards.

Dinner will be lamb hotpot with braised red cabbage and tenderstem broccoli.

Postby jeral » Sun May 17, 2020 5:03 pm

A fishy week here, using the last of the salmon fillets (being the last of the fish in the freezer) on which I spread a little chipotle paste before pan frying. Very good with sauteed leek and sliced new potatoes.

I got to the fishmonger, buying some tuna and a gilthead bream. The latter yesterday baked in a lemon/herb/oil dressing. The other side of it is in fridge, so will reheat in a new white sauce of some sort.

More veggie next week, starting with a blackbean, carrot, mushroom, spinach casserole. Found some shortcrust pastry, so some will finish up in a pie. Mmm pie.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Lunch was toasted English muffins with baked beans, grated strong cheddar and HP sauce.

Dinner is in the oven.
Pork fillet stuffed with black pud and wrapped in Parma ham.
It will be served with new potatoes, green beans, asparagus from the garden and a blob of hollandaise.

Postby jeral » Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Deconstructed veggie lasagne tonight.
-Oven-roasted: butternut, red onion, spot of leek, baby carrots, thyme, EVOO.
-Lasagne sheet or two, boiled with touch of toasted sesame oil to stop it sticking, cut to bite-size, set aside.
-Same pan for tinned tom (with hints of frozen ginger, English mustard and balsamic).
All lightly stirred to combine and serve. I could have prepared optional adornments of toasted sesame seeds or grated cheese or garlic or mint croutons, or all of them if I'd started earlier.

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 pm

Cauliflower, mushroom and chickpea curry with cocount milk. We had poppadoms, 3 types pickles/chuteys, a youghurt and spicy mint dip (I had a jar of mint stuff to add to yoghurt) and chopped spring onion to start. We sat at a table together for a change.

Postby jeral » Mon May 18, 2020 11:43 pm

Hi herbidacious. How do you buy your poppadoms please? I bought some that you paint with oil then microwave each for mere seconds. They were overly dry if you skipped the oiling bit, but oiling seemed to absorb more oil than I was comfortable with. Any handy tips please?

Thanks for the inspiration of coconut milk, which I have but tend to forget I have and that it's ace for veg curries of course. (That's tomorrow sorted.)

Postby Amyw » Tue May 19, 2020 5:24 pm

jeral wrote:Deconstructed veggie lasagne tonight.
-Oven-roasted: butternut, red onion, spot of leek, baby carrots, thyme, EVOO.
-Lasagne sheet or two, boiled with touch of toasted sesame oil to stop it sticking, cut to bite-size, set aside.
-Same pan for tinned tom (with hints of frozen ginger, English mustard and balsamic).
All lightly stirred to combine and serve. I could have prepared optional adornments of toasted sesame seeds or grated cheese or garlic or mint croutons, or all of them if I'd started earlier.

Lasagna , ginger , English mustard , sesame seeds and garlic and mint croutons , fusion cuisine at its finest !!

Postby jeral » Tue May 19, 2020 7:44 pm

Amyw, Nah, pick and mix, or don't. The ginger was in the tom sauce though so not an adornment. I add ginger to most sauces I can think of. I'd normally have added it to these roasting veg and probably a shake of cumin, but wanted to preserve solely as herby veg instead for once.

But you're right, if I did all the extras and nothing but, they might make a good "bowl" dish garnished with a sprig or two of cheffy greens 8-)

How odd. I suddenly fancy sardines.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Tonight didn't involve much cooking.

We had the remains of Sunday's pork ( see above) with mixed salad, and rice with garden peas stirred through.

It was delicious.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm

We had a one pan roast tonight including salmon, new potatoes, asparagus, courgettes, peppers. Splash of white wine and some dried chilli flakes. Finished with basil and lemon.

Really fancy something sweet now so might raid the last of the Easter eggs.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm

I had salmon tonight

Was somewhat annoyed to discover my salmon fillets were skinless, so no crispy skin. I cooked one in the microwave with a splash of dry vermouth and pink peppercorns, then added butter and chopped parsley to the juices

I cooked some jersey royals and steamed French beans, broccoli and asparagus and served a little of each with the salmon and sauce

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Well now i am inspired to have salmon this evening! I'll see what veg I have when I get home.

Sunday night was Sicilian sausage bake using hot Italian sausages. Monday was aubergine and lentil chilli. KLast night was ravioli in a sundtried tomato sauce

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox