Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm

dennispc wrote:GP explains the list from their side.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... omplicated

I am in the opposite situation... A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from the local NHS Trust .. my name and address at the top of the letter, but the salutation being Dear Mr Kenneth Randal - and quoting his NHS number ... it then went on to say that 'I' had been identified as having certain health conditions that meant I should be shielding until (whatever the date was). At the end of the letter was a list of conditions, any one or more I was apparently suffering from.

I rang my doctor, they said it was the Trust's mistake and gave me another number to ring. I rang that and got no answer. The following Sunday I received a phone call from someone at the Trust asking if I was getting all the help I needed. I responded by asking I had no idea why I got the letter, than it seemed to be meant for someone else .. and that apart from be over 70, I didn't have any of the conditions listed, making me so vulnerable. The caller couldn't help either, but said to call back it I needed further help.

Today I have received a text telling me I have been identified as someone who may be at high risk of serve illness if I contract Coronavirus .......etc.... and that I should now shield at home until 30th June ...

I can only guess that someone going through my medical records must have spotted that 6 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer, although 2 years ago I was given the all clear. :roll:

Postby Busybee » Thu May 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Everything crossed for your daughter PP. I hope that she begins to recover soon.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu May 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks everybody.

Pat, Chris 86 only got the text last Thursday, no back up letter. They’ve been phoning everyday since and it appears you get a letter/text from your GP surgery AND another from any clinics you visit.

Still in his case a bit late in the day this far in.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 14, 2020 7:41 pm

You need to check Patsy, Covid has nasty effects on the gut in some people (as I can testify) and it may be that colostomy is considered a risk factor in itself

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks Sue and Jude :thumbsup I certainly won't be going out partying an time soon and have only gone to Tesco about 3 times in the last 6 weeks .. I will carry on being careful, but haven't yet felt the need to get home delivery for food .. Daughter has been furloughed, so we are keeping safe in that respect .

Postby Amber » Fri May 15, 2020 12:27 am

:crossed :crossed that your daughter soon improves and feels better, PP.

Postby Jrc123 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Hope your daughter improves quickly. PP . :thumbsup

Postby mistakened » Fri May 15, 2020 3:12 pm

We shall be having supper outside tonight, Chinese style Sticky Chicken or do I mean Sticky Chicken Chinese Style, which ever it is, the chicken is marinating in the fridge. One half will be eaten hot tonight with a stir fry, the rest tomorrow with a shredded Asian style salad.
I went to AS supermarket this morning to stock up on Rice Vinegar and other condiments. AS are the wholesalers, the shop is a side line but the selection is better and cheaper

We are sitting here with the blinds down and the fan turned on

Moira

Postby jeral » Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 pm

Quick, just noticed that Brief Encounter starts at 3pm on BBC2, i.e. now.

It's a very old and classic film. Watch out for a very young Joan Collins serving behind the railway station coffee counter.

PS: If you watch it on BBC online, you can restart the current programme if you miss the beginning.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 15, 2020 4:37 pm

I've probably mentioned this before on WF but has anyone else discovered Talking Pictures TV? They have some wonderful old stuff on there. We've watched a series of Will Hay films - my dad loved Will Hay - Rumpole of the Bailey with Leo McKern, and the original series of Van der Valk. We've got a few recorded to watch too including a digital remastery of The Amazing Mr Blunden, one of my childhood faves. (Featuring Diana Dors).

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Thanks for reminding me PP, added to my favourite channels various people keep pointing out that it’s a great place to catch up with old movies

Postby dennispc » Fri May 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Am I right in thinking German children don't start formal schooling until they are six, two/three years before that it's kindagarten.

If that's the case, is it so necessary to worry about our reception classes missing out for a few months?

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 15, 2020 4:55 pm

But Dennis it's the Reception classes they want to send back to school first!

The online Zoom stuff my gandchildren are getting is working just fine. I wouldn't be in a rush to send mine back. But I do appreciate that in poorer areas a lot of children would not have access to the technology and that socially they need to be back.

Postby dennispc » Fri May 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:But Dennis it's the Reception classes they want to send back to school first!

Exactly! Then allow parents to choose.

Chatting to my older sister this week, because of the war she didn't start school until she was seven. Long story.

Probably I didn't either.

Research in ten years time could be interesting.

Postby miss mouse » Fri May 15, 2020 7:43 pm

dennispc wrote:Am I right in thinking German children don't start formal schooling until they are six, two/three years before that it's kindagarten.

If that's the case, is it so necessary to worry about our reception classes missing out for a few months?

A lot of countries do I think, and they are not taught to read until they are seven and master it in a couple of weeks I heard on the radio eons ago.

Yes, why the reception class? Haven't households made their childcare arrangements? Why unsettle them?

Postby cherrytree » Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 pm

I’m a retired Reception class teacher. Have any of these politicians any idea just what a germ factory a Reception class is? To put it bluntly, faecal matter usually unseen) on everything. So much equipment . Not just the Lego and all the other paraphernalia, but pencils, felt pens, etc etc. And I haven’t even mentioned the humans! Small children are so tactile. In France where some schools have gone back the teachers have been equipped with masks. No mention of that here although really it should be the children wearing them
It’s a complete farce thought up by people who haven’t a clue what they are talking about.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 15, 2020 11:19 pm

I'd love to know just how the government thinks that Reception class children will observe social distancing rules -it'd be worse than trying to herd cats!

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri May 15, 2020 11:40 pm

cherrytree wrote:I’m a retired Reception class teacher. Have any of these politicians any idea just what a germ factory a Reception class is? To put it bluntly, faecal matter usually unseen) on everything. So much equipment . Not just the Lego and all the other paraphernalia, but pencils, felt pens, etc etc. And I haven’t even mentioned the humans! Small children are so tactile. In France where some schools have gone back the teachers have been equipped with masks. No mention of that here although really it should be the children wearing them
It’s a complete farce thought up by people who haven’t a clue what they are talking about.
Pampy wrote:I'd love to know just how the government thinks that Reception class children will observe social distancing rules -it'd be worse than trying to herd cats!

I work in a secondary school and I don't think it will be any better. Different factors at work but same result in the end.

I'm struggling to see how social distancing can be enforced in schools. I'm sure "they" have no idea how kids behave when in a school environment.

Postby Busybee » Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 am

I saw a very funny meme on Facebook, along the lines of

‘Why do they think they can control the virus in a classroom? They can’t even control a case of nits!’

Funny, but also accurate.

BB

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 am

Dear me, this week's headline story in the local rag has made me think again about what a hotbed of crime Watford is.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/ ... bans-road/

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox