Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Renee » Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 pm

I have that book, herbidacious, so will look it up. I think that butter improves most things!!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue May 12, 2020 10:11 pm

What a lot of gorgeous food you’ve all had.

We had a nice lunch of sautéed pork fillet with sliced courgettes, feta, toasted pine nuts, basil pesto with a jacket potato on the side.

Dinner was boring shop bought margarita pizza with salad. Made up for it with dessert of delicious Simon Cotswolds brie with poppyseed crackers. Am I a heathen for having quince with brie? I think I probably am :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Well two unexpected meals today
I made a pizza potato for lunch - a jacket spud split in half an heated up topped with tomato mush flavoured with a bit of garlic and herbs, some mozzarella and a few olives and a few shreds of salami

Then tonight for some reason I had a load of butter beans I’d cooked, so I made a tweaked version of Rose Elliott’s bean goulash and served with a few noodles and a spoonful of soured cream Trouble is, I’ve got 3 more portions, this keeps happening. It’s delicious, but storing and meal planning are issues

Postby Amyw » Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 pm

The pizza potato sounds nice Sue . I used to flatten out chicken breasts , then top with tomato purée , garlic etc, mozzarella and whatever else was lurking round .

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 13, 2020 1:36 pm

I wish I ended up with a few more food portions left over. It's not going to happen with husband around.

I used to make pizza omelette when I was a postgrad... :? Pizza anything is likely to be a good thing in my book. Although I incapable of cooking an actual (boght) pizza without adding lots of things to it.
There is a recipe for fried butter beans and sorrel in Plenty which I might try. Need to check that my sorrel is, actually, sorrel, first, though. Don't really want to eat dock leaves. I am not sure I know what either tastes like though..., and was a bit wimopy putting only half a green chilli in it.

Renee, the lentil dish was ok before the butter, but after it was transformed into rather good. I wonder if it would have been even better with lime rather than lemon juice. I didn't have enough coriander either, and I wimped out and only put half a green chilli in it as, having removed it from its potentially covid-covered plastic bag, I had no idea what its strength was. It could have taken the whole one and possibly a bit more.

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Oh! Sorrel and dock are both rumex...

Postby Renee » Wed May 13, 2020 2:29 pm

I think I would also have used lemon, herbi. I use lime with Asian dishes.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 13, 2020 7:59 pm

I think I was Rocky on the Beeb board!

I'm in the office today (I am classed as essential but I'm not sure i do anything anyone would class as essential :? ) I thought I'd get home for lunch but haven't so I have just had a pack of doritos for lunch. Dinner is going to be cassoulet from the freezer that OH made. Not sure what to have with it. We had the original portion when we were in the house arrest phase and all I had left was frozen collard green (the freezers were very bare on my last shop...). I cooked them with a bit of bacon and they made a very acceptable accompaniment.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed May 13, 2020 9:53 pm

Crap food day today. Cereal for breakfast and packet noodles for lunch. We roasted a chicken in the afternoon which provided dinner with some herby buttered new potatoes and a green salad.

I’m working from home Weds-Fri and OH working full time between home and the office. Working around home schooling and a 1 year old is just impossible. I’ve just finished work for the day now. I’m really hoping they find a safe solution for schools/nurseries soon, whether June 1st or later.

Are you able to adhere to distancing in your office environment Rocky? In my head your commute to work involves breathtaking views with no public transport crowds! :D I hope that’s the case for you!

Postby RockyBVI » Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 pm

OMCO - I have a beautiful commute. 10-15 mins in the car along hilly roads with views of the sea all the way. Very lucky.

Thinking may omlettes and oven chips for dinner tonight - we have bits and bobs to use up to go into it. Or a Thai curry using the same bits that need to be used up. I'll let OH cast the deciding vote!

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 14, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm still in awe with the things OMCO and Rocky rustle up in these times!

I have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for the last week , quite well really but it probably wouldn't sound
great written down! Now the fridge is full of nice things after a trip to M&S and a shopping collection on Tuesday. It is such a thrill to go to M&S, I picked up a pack of 3 cheeses - Caerphilly, Leicester & Blacksticks Blue which was RTC. I tried a bit of two of them for lunch yesterday and they are really heavenly. For supper yesterday I used one of 3 ready meals I'd picked up as I got home from my walk a bit late. It was Prawn Alfredo and tasted like food from the gods because I hadn't had to cook it myself! I've got a chicken to cook. As I've got lots of lovely salad and some olives I will just have it as cold chicken which I love and which usually goes further. Soup later in the week.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 14, 2020 4:01 pm

I will be eating from the freezer for a while, I was so careful about not running down stocks in early lockdown I have too much
Yesterday I had a second pizza potato yesterday to use up the bits, refining the method. Just had a pitta stuffed with leftover lamb and salad for supper

Today a bagel with the last of the salami, a bit of Yarg cheese, and some pickles slices, for lunch, and some watermelon. Tonight will be a second portion of the butter bean goulash, probably with new potatoes and cabbage

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 14, 2020 6:38 pm

I am making Chilaquiles tonight with home grown tomato passata. I am not going to hand fry the toritlla chips this simte. They are lovely but I am too tired (and I fear they are very calorific).

Strawberries and cream for afters. Pity there's no suitable cake in the house. I could have made a cheat's trifle. I really should stop eating pudding though...

Postby Amyw » Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Throw it all together from the fridge salad which turned out to be delicious . Roasted aubergine and BNS with garlic and chilli , then added cucumber , spring onions , plum tomatoes and lots of mint . Used some leftover prawns and stirred through some EVOO(really nice Greek one from Lidl’s ) and balsamic .

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 15, 2020 2:57 am

Amy ! How absolutely delish!!

I got bored with what was in the fridge today (I did NOT want to eat quiche again) so I made something called " Baingan Ka Salan" - basically an aubergine dish with peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds, onions and a whole pile of spices. It´s exciting, spicy (VERY spicy) and one of those dishes that you eat and then say
YES!
Just Basmati and a few pappadums.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri May 15, 2020 3:38 pm

The salad looks great Amy!

F68BC3C6-6A1D-4B1A-A5DD-64C4684804BF.jpeg
F68BC3C6-6A1D-4B1A-A5DD-64C4684804BF.jpeg (262.29 KiB) Viewed 5777 times

We’ve had a delicious afternoon tea delivered from a local bakery this afternoon. It’s not normally my favourite kind of food but it made a nice treat for us all today.

We currently have the Feijoada from my thread last week cooking away. We might eat it tomorrow though and have something light this evening after our enormous lunch.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri May 15, 2020 3:40 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Amy ! How absolutely delish!!

I got bored with what was in the fridge today (I did NOT want to eat quiche again) so I made something called " Baingan Ka Salan" - basically an aubergine dish with peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds, onions and a whole pile of spices. It´s exciting, spicy (VERY spicy) and one of those dishes that you eat and then say
YES!
Just Basmati and a few pappadums.

I was eyeing up an aubergine recipe in Simon Hopkinson’s roast chicken and other stories, which is grilled aubergines with sesame. It sounds similar to yours. It may be on the meal list for next week!

Postby RockyBVI » Fri May 15, 2020 6:46 pm

What a pretty afternoon tea OMCO!

I think we are going to have mahi this evening with a slow cooked tomato sauce I made earlier in the week. I might acually mix that with some white beans and serve the fish with it - probably with broccoli.

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 15, 2020 6:59 pm

How lovely OMCO. I could do with a pick me up like that right now...

Postby Amyw » Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanks guys , OMCO, your afternoon tea looks very pretty . I love aubergine and love cooking it in different ways

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox