Register

Roasted rhubarb crumble

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Roasted rhubarb crumble

Postby Binky » Sat May 09, 2020 8:42 pm

I usually cook rhubarb on the hob for pur crumbles, but tried a roast rhubarb recipe tonight. The taste was perfect but better yet was the texture. Definitely the way to go with rhubarb crumbles :yum .

Re: Roasted rhubarb crumble

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 09, 2020 8:50 pm

Looks lovely Binky :yum

Niamh Shields (Eat Like a Girl) reminded me recently that the easiest way to cook rhubarb is to cut it into chunks and put it on a baking tray in a single layer dust with slightly less sugar that you think you need, then put it in the hot oven when you take something out, and leave it there until cold

I did some on Sunday, came out looking unchanged except that the sugar had disappeared and there was some nice syrupy juice in it's place, was just so I thought, tender but not mushy

I used to cook it like that years ago, but I'd clean forgotten, I suppose you don't cook a lot of rhubarb if you don't grow it

Postby Busybee » Sat May 09, 2020 8:52 pm

That looks great Binky, and I also like your serving dish, is it Portmerrion?

BB

Postby Binky » Sat May 09, 2020 9:08 pm

well spotted, for it is Portmeirion. We have a large collection because when we went to live in the US, I asked friends and colleagues to buy us a piece of Portmeirion as a memento of the UK. We have plates, coffee cups, mugs, a tray, serving dishes, tea plates and dinner plates. Much of it has survived over 26 years, despite heavy-handedness and bangs. Also a timeless design imo. We've added to the collection with some Sophie Conran bits, the wonky white pasta and salad bowls, which we like.

Postby Busybee » Sat May 09, 2020 10:02 pm

We have a bit too, we honeymooned there and got quite a bit as wedding presents. I’ve always loved it.

I saw four matching storage canisters in the new charity shop at a £10 each, I kicked myself for not getting them as they had gone when I went back.

Only one piece hasn’t survived continual use.

On the subject of rhubarb, ours hasn’t been very good this year, I haven’t had enough to cut yet.

BB

Postby Suelle » Sat May 09, 2020 10:43 pm

I've been roasting it for years - wouldn't do it any other way now, unless I wanted a compote-like texture. I grow my own, so eat quite a lot at this time of year.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Amyw » Sat May 09, 2020 10:55 pm

I think I posted on the backing thread a rhubarb and custard pie. Made . I roasted the rhubarb for that with sugar and a squeeze of orange juice . Much more rhubarby than usual and the texture was perfect

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 10, 2020 12:04 am

BB my rhubarb is a bit 'off colour' this year, the stems are much shorter and thinner. Normally, I can't use it all and end up gifting it to lovely neighbours. This year I have only made one rhubarb dish because of the lack of it. I must try and get my hands on some well rotted manure.

Postby Suelle » Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am

halfateabag wrote:BB my rhubarb is a bit 'off colour' this year, the stems are much shorter and thinner. Normally, I can't use it all and end up gifting it to lovely neighbours. This year I have only made one rhubarb dish because of the lack of it. I must try and get my hands on some well rotted manure.

Mine's not so good this year either. I'm not sure if it's getting overcrowded or it was because the winter was quite mild - apparently rhubarb likes a cold winter. Just to cover myself, I intend to this the crowns out a bit when the season has ended.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 10, 2020 8:39 am

Wow!
That's rhubarb on my shopping list. We have it roasted, on yoghurt. It only needs about 20mins.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 10, 2020 8:51 am

I received some lovely sticks of rhubarb in my little VE Day parcel. I have never roasted rhubarb, I rather like it cooked to a mush, which I think is what Suelle politely calls a compote ;), but will try it.

Rhubarb fool - or a poor man's fool made by blending with a thick custard is my favourite rhubarb dish - but I like all the other things too!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 11, 2020 3:50 am

Interesting that many of you roast your rhubarb. I´ve always put it in a pot, with sugar - no extra liquid - and waited until the rhubarb wilted. I often add ginger to it, which definitely pairs well.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 11, 2020 6:25 am

My 92 year old mum has a lot of rhubarb in her garden and makes this a lot as an alternative to crumble. Try it. It’s really good.

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitro ... monds.html

I have a feeling Suelle makes it too but may be getting muddled.

Postby Suelle » Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 am

Pepper Pig wrote:My 92 year old mum has a lot of rhubarb in her garden and makes this a lot as an alternative to crumble. Try it. It’s really good.

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitro ... monds.html

I have a feeling Suelle makes it too but may be getting muddled.

It has been one of my mainstays for rhubarb in the past. Can't afford the calories when baking for one. :(

Postby spangle » Mon May 11, 2020 7:08 pm

I've just picked my entire rhubarb harvest of two ridiculous spindly stems about the thickness of a pencil.

I microwaved them - I don't really use the microwave for actual cooking generally but find it stews fruit quite well, no extra water, just some sugar, loose fitting lid, about a minute tops (check sooner as it bubbles up very quickly). It's made a pathetic tablespoon of stewed rhubarb, but tastes great and is a very pretty colour. I'm saving it for pud this evening and will have with some greek yogurt. I'd probably have roasted it if there'd been more of it.

I don't tend to precook fruit for crumble, just cut it up and toss with sugar and let it cook under the topping. My crumbles usually come out quite well these days, although until the last couple of years they were very hit and miss.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 11, 2020 7:20 pm

I freeze it in chunks with sugar, uncooked. Don’t precook just defrost and cover with a crumble topping. Same with gooseberries.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue May 12, 2020 7:42 pm

I watched Nigel Slater on Foodnetwork last night and he did roast rhubarb with fresh mackerel and it looked delicious.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 pm

I am so glad you posted this. We have a lot of rhubarb and were planning a crumble at the weekend. We usually stew it but I will definitely roast it from now on :thumbsup

OH has some rhubarb gin on the go as well but we still have so much of the stuff. I think there’s some in the freezer from last year. Possibly the year before :?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox