Register

Food Nemisis/nemises ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Food Nemisis/nemises ?

Postby miss mouse » Sun May 10, 2020 4:43 pm

I remember we had a thread on Wildies that introduced me to frozen avos. I've seen them since then but not tried them yet.

I have, disappointing.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 10, 2020 5:37 pm

I tried the frozen avocados. They were ok but they were covered with so much citric/Ascorbic acid mix to stop them going black as you thawed them, you could taste the acid however you prepared them

I tend to buy the ripen at home ones - or go through the box in the corner shop carefully because never in the history of M&S or Waitrose have I ever paid extra to have a pack of fruit stickered “ripe and ready to eat” not to find it days away from being even remotely ready. But I’m not bitter, unlike the plums :D

If I have an avocado that’s a two portion size I cut it in half, put the stone half in a little Lock and Lock box in which it just fits, douse the cut surface with lemon or lime juice, usually bottled which has extra ascorbate added as a preservative, slam on the lid and put it in the fridge before I even tackle the portion for immediate use. The saved bit keeps at least 24 hours, I have sometimes got away with 48 hours

Postby Suelle » Sun May 10, 2020 5:49 pm

miss mouse wrote:
I remember we had a thread on Wildies that introduced me to frozen avos. I've seen them since then but not tried them yet.

I have, disappointing.

That's very reserved of you! My daughter's one word description was - disgusting! :lol:
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby miss mouse » Sun May 10, 2020 6:05 pm

I wouldn't go quite as far as 'disgusting'...OK, I would.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 10, 2020 6:31 pm

ZeroCook wrote: I would call them uncooked outtakes. I was thinking of starting a thread but the other way around as it were - what to do with or how to store / preserve the bits and bobs that remain or hang around, sometimes not pretty but still good as it's a perennial problem.

Why not start the thread anyway as we seem to be drifting into that territory?

Postby ZeroCook » Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 am

karadekoolaid wrote:
NEVER,ever put a green avocado in the fridge. It will never ripen.
Avocado is a wierd fruit. It doesn´t ripen on the tree, like all the others; it ripens when it drops.

That's the whole point. You buy them green and hard and keep them in the fridge where they never ripen. That is until you decide to take one out and let it ripen at room temp. That way you don't end up with say six avocados that have all ripened at about the same time and which which you can't or don't want to eat all in the same time frame and are forced to consider dire possibilities like freezing or eating nothing but avocado for a week. Or something like that!

Venezuela soukds like avocado heaven.

Stokey - could start a thread, but as we're kind of on a roll could this thread not be renamed slightly?

Postby Rainbow » Mon May 11, 2020 1:03 am

ZeroCook wrote:
karadekoolaid wrote:
NEVER,ever put a green avocado in the fridge. It will never ripen.
Avocado is a wierd fruit. It doesn´t ripen on the tree, like all the others; it ripens when it drops.

That's the whole point. You buy them green and hard and keep them in the fridge where they never ripen. That is until you decide to take one out and let it ripen at room temp. That way you don't end up with say six avocados that have all ripened at about the same time and which which you can't or don't want to eat all in the same time frame and are forced to consider dire possibilities like freezing or eating nothing but avocado for a week. Or something like that!

Venezuela soukds like avocado heaven.

Stokey - could start a thread, but as we're kind of on a roll could this thread not be renamed slightly?

We buy lots of avocados - I live in Queensland - and keep them in the fridge as Zerocook says. Then when we take a couple out we put them in the basket with the bananas - speeds the ripening process.
I find that leftover half avocados keep quite well without any dousing of lemon juice - but that really varies with the type of avocado you buy. Some have been bred to not go brown after opening :)

Postby Lokelani » Tue May 12, 2020 11:34 am

Ripe & ready, humph. Glad it's not just me. So often they seem rock hard then when they feel right they're all brown & stringy inside. I've bought frozen ones instead, but haven't tried them yet. Sounds like I'll be disappointed & back to fresh!

I also do the butternut squash thing. It's just such a useful thing to have in as they seem to keep for ever. I hate to admit I don't actually like them very much though & put off using them until I absolutely have to. I used to like the velvety soup they made.

I've always been dreadful at doing the saving things for best, be it posh food or toiletries. I know I've still got some olive oil & lemon pearls, elderflower jelly with gold and pistachio cream from Xmas gift. They're too special to use for everyday but now they're probably off. Argh. I've got better with the toiletries, after finding some lovely body lotion had gone rancid, I'd barely treated myself to a scraping of it. :( :roll:

I remember having some enormous avocados as a child on holiday in Madeira with Mum & Dad. They were massive things.

Jars & things I really need to start putting a date of when I opened them as they sit in the fridge & I look at them suspiciously in a few months & have no idea when I first used them. Antipasti veg in oil etc. as they don't go mouldy, but I worry a bit about botulism! :lol:

Postby smitch » Tue May 12, 2020 12:22 pm

I'm guilty of bringing back nice treats from holidays abroad, not wanting to use them immediately and then forgetting about them until they're out of date :(

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:28 pm

Lokelani wrote:
I've always been dreadful at doing the saving things for best, be it posh food or toiletries. I know I've still got some olive oil & lemon pearls, elderflower jelly with gold and pistachio cream from Xmas gift. They're too special to use for everyday but now they're probably off. Argh. I've got better with the toiletries, after finding some lovely body lotion had gone rancid, I'd barely treated myself to a scraping of it. :( :roll:

Yes, I'm afraid I'm like that too, Lokelani. I was given a fabulous box of Joe Malone skin care bits and pieces and kept putting off using them - and in the meantime they've ceased to be quite so special :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Rainbow wrote:I find that leftover half avocados keep quite well without any dousing of lemon juice - but that really varies with the type of avocado you buy. Some have been bred to not go brown after opening :)

We mainly get Eat Me Hass avocados, they go brown and off in minutes if not acidulated

I looked at their website to see where they come from, but I think they come from different countries in different months

The website recommends keeping them in the fridge

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox