Register

10 foodie things lockdown has taught you

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 10 foodie things lockdown has taught you

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:29 pm

I'm feeling pretty bad having two freezers. I know quite a lot of people have a second freezer in the garage but we never needed one before we thought ours was going to expire.

Was it gold plated EM ;) ? We were lucky to find a tall, slimline upright at a reasonable price. It was a tad more expensive than we could have found it online but not outrageously so and it was delivered the same day, don't mind using a local firm either.

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:10 pm

The new fridge I bought probably nearly a year ago now is an AEG and I've never been convinced that it maintains the temperature setting. Being a low-energy rated one, I get the feeling that it gets cold, then doesn't bother the motor again until it's almost warm.

It could be that there are days when I'm in and out of the fridge all the time so it's hard to monitor it like a definitive lab test. So, I would definitely suggest using a fridge thermometer if you're in any doubt and maybe increase the setting if dubious. Mine is fridge only so there can be no excuse that cooling a freezer is affecting it.

My washing machine is playing up by sticking on the wash cycle forever. I can use the drain/rinse/spin cycle two or three times so it's still usable. I pay monthly for a maintenance contract so should really get on the blower.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:39 pm

I remember I had the Ariston wasging machine that went on, and on (which was their slogan at the time)

It was only 4 months old

The engineer replaced the control unit, which was effectively an upgrade, and it lasted another 13 years

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:40 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:8) Anything that falls off the worktop in the kitchen does not need to be cleaned up. The dog will do that.

One of our previous woofs, bless her, would eat almost anything. The word 'hoover', was her cue to scoff any food that had dropped onto the kitchen floor.
She was a Lab/Cocker Spaniel mix and a sweetheart.
:newhuggy
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:55 am

Yes, Grasshopper - i think it´s the "lab" in him that makes him voracious.
My Alsatian (RIP 2017!) would never even sniff anything that hadn´t got protein in it.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:36 am

1. Although I can live without cheese, Id rather not.
2. Ditto crisps
3. Cooking for myself is boring, even batch cooking decent food seems pointless when I can't then give it to my daughter
4. I really don't eat very much at all, I hadn't realised how little I eat, which I must do something about.
5. I'm still completely haunted by the days when my daughter was little and it was a choice between heat or eat. It's actually served me well as I have a great stock of food.
6. I like fresh fruit much more than I thought I did, I'm really missing it.
7. I still don't like sweet foods like cakes and biscuits, or chocolate.
8. I utterly hate baking!
9. I'd buy my cats food before myself (daughter doesn't live at home and I'm going on my own house)
10. Never mind food, I have Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime and internet, and they are what are really keeping me going!

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 10, 2020 12:40 am

I have two large DF and a F/F I use them for excess garden produce, RTC items and ready meals I make myself. They are all nearly full and if necessary could live for a long time using up the stock.

A very interesting read.....https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... d-covid-19. Some reorganisation required?????

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 10, 2020 1:52 am

I have two large DF and a F/F

And I´ve got a FD and 3 ATs.
Sorry, Zosh - I´m absolutely incapable of understanding text-speak - please translate? :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 10, 2020 2:37 am

Deep Freezer? Fridge Freezer? Depending where you are could be a Chest Freezer or something else;)

What tea did you run out of Clive?

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 am

You are right ZC!!!!! RTC is 'reduced to clear' in supermarkets. Sorryeeeee! :oops: :oops:

What are FD's and AT's ??? All these acronyms !!!!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 10, 2020 1:16 pm

What are FD's and AT's ??? All these acronyms !!!!

FD: Fat dog
ATs: Ambling tortoises.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, I ran out of Assam - which is what I drink all the time. No tea bags, no loose-leaf here.Nothing at all. The only tea I´ve got is something called "Angel Tea" - Chinese, which I tried the other day. Nah. No flavour at all.
Still, my youngest has worked out how to send me some from Ohio, and it will apparently arrive this week. Whoopee!!

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 10, 2020 4:09 pm

I usually wished I had another freezer twice a year - Christmas and after filling it with tomato passata. The two are not unconnected. No room for another - no garage attached to this pre-car era house, and not posh enough for stables on this street. (Adjacent street either doesn't have this issue, or they were rich enough to have, or think they might, at some point, have cars c.1895.) So just a fridge freezer. I suppose I could have a small one if I got rid of the tumble dryer, but then it would have to go next to the cat litter box...

Postby halfateabag » Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 am

A good article. I do find I cook this way quite a lot, it saves time and uses everything up but varies the menus....https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... o-fish-pie

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue May 12, 2020 10:47 am

halfateabag wrote:A good article. I do find I cook this way quite a lot, it saves time and uses everything up but varies the menus....https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... o-fish-pie

Love that article Zosh. Now in files :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 am

OK, I was intrigued how you could make roast chicken and fish pie from the same ingredients but I get the picture. :roll:

It's the sort of thing I do with mince and I've been meaning to turn the risotto (currently in the freezer) into arancini, this might be the prompt I need, thanks.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 pm

Postby Amyw » Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 pm

I like to do that too . I get bored with having the same meal two days in a row so like to take what I’ve already cooked and give it a bit of a spin . Even just changing the sides you serve with it can make a difference.

I like the idea of the couscous fritters , never thought of that before

Postby halfateabag » Tue May 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Dunno about other peeps but I try not to serve up the same meal 2 days on the trot. I will provide a different meal in between the 'same' ones. So e.g. we had butternut, chestnut and sage risotto on Thursday. Salmon with curry spices on top on Friday and the rest of the BNS. chestnut and sage risotto on the Saturday but as there was only 2 small portions served it with a small sandwich steak. Oh, and tried fried sage leaves for the first time and we both liked them. :yum

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Yes, I will generally aim to have a day between repeating a meal, although Mrs B often says she'll happily have the same again two days running.

I like fried sage leaves with pork chops. :yum

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox