Register

Rendering

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Rendering

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 09, 2020 5:50 am

I apologise in advance to those who don’t eat animal products but I thought this was rather good.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... nimal-fats

I’ve recently been involved in an excellent Twitter discussion about what constitutes the best fried breakfast. Lard as the frying medium did jolly well!

Re: Rendering

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 09, 2020 9:38 am

I immediately thought of “render unto Caesar” :D

Interesting, I don’t think I’ll bother to render my own, though I do save the fat incidentally rendered during cooking, if nice. Actually the one time I might do it is if I had an opportunity to render bacon grease for those fried breakfasts

I was also puzzled by her use of the term tallow, which to me is applied to non-edible rendered fat, I think she is referring to what I would call butcher’s dripping (as opposed to the natural drippings that appear during cooking)

Also worth pointing out that many of us gave up using rendered fat long before the health police got to it as the smell of even slightly stale hot animal fat is disgusting and hangs around for days - not recommended for those with open plan kitchens.

Postby Suelle » Sat May 09, 2020 11:12 am

I've rendered duck fat from the excess skin and fatty deposits, in the past when my OH used to joint ducks for me.

I don't think I'd bother with any other types of meat fat, although I used to love pork dripping as a child, back in the days when a pork joint would give off at least a cup of fat during roasting.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pampy » Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Many, many moons ago, my grandma used to buy her meat on a weekly basis and did what she called "pinning" it - iirc, she just fried the outside of whatever she'd bought and then stored it in a cool place (before she got a fridge) or the fridge (when she had one). She then completed cooking when she was making a meal. The fat that resulted from the "pinning" was to used to make the most glorious chips - good chips in my family are still referred to as "grandma chips".

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Unsurprisingly, there are sections on rendering in the St John books. I don't do a huge lot, but save the fat from cooked mince (allowed to cool and lifted off the top the following day), or strew roasting potatoes with bacon rinds or poultry skin. There's always goose fat to hand, after Christmas I keep one pot in the fridge and a second in the freezer. I will save the dripping from roast meat, either as a spread or to brown the bubble on Monday.

My eldest cousin fondly remembers my nan (not the grandmother we had in common) cooking chips in lard. My memories of her cooking are somewhat different but I still cook mince more or less like she did.

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 10, 2020 12:18 am

I keep fat from roasts etc. in a mug in the fridge and use it for frying - it has a lot of flavour and would not waste it. Bacon fat (especially smoked) is invaluable too....

Pork rendering with a stock cube crumbled into it and mixed makes a great dripping on toast supper :yum Don't eat it very often though....

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 10, 2020 1:45 am

Anytime I need crispy bacon, I cook it very slowly and save the dripping.
That´s for fried bread for breakfast the next day!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox