Register

Favourite condiments

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite condiments

Postby spangle » Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 pm

Lots of my faves already mentioned. I like Clearspring Ume Plum Seasoning which is the liquid from when they make umeboshi pickled plums. I use it a bit like I would soy sauce, it's salty but also tangy. The bottles are like their soy sauce bottles and the liquid itself is pinkish.

I used to love, I mean really love, Waitrose carrot pickle. Haven't seen it for years, it was hot and salty and tangy and oily, and I used to eat it from the jar. I kind of always thought they'd stop making it one day as it was one of those 'quiet' products that doesn't sound that exciting and was never promoted, just sat on the shelf amongst more glamorous-sounding condiments, but it was so good and I've never found anything quite like it.

Another vote for mushroom ketchup too. Bit like soy sauce, bit like worcester sauce, but also not like either of them. Slight flavour of cloves(?)

Postby smitch » Thu May 07, 2020 10:40 pm

It is quite thin, have only ever used it during cooking. Adds a nice savoury flavour to food though.

I just got some beetroot ketchup to try.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 pm

I used some Watkins’ ketchup tonight in a kidney dish, I use it as an ingredient not a table sauce, it’s liquid like Worcestershire or soy
Maybe I’ve had mine too long but it’s very salty, vaguely umami, and not very mushroomy- or was when I tasted it just now

I think I prefer mushroom soy

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 08, 2020 9:29 am

Yes to both the Umeboshi and the Waitrose carrot pickle. I use the former on veg sushi and miss the latter. I've always intended to make various pickles with carrots but never get a round tuit. My main carrot crop on the plot tends to suffer with the fly. We have nice baby carrots in troughs in the garden but they get used as a vegetable.

Postby spangle » Fri May 08, 2020 12:36 pm

Badger's Mate, glad someone else was a Waitrose carrot pickle fan, I always thought I was the only one! It was so flavourful.

That's reminded me actually, I get carrots in my veg box and sometimes they build up into a glut and every now and then I get ideas about making carrot pickle/chutney but have never tried. I might have a rummage through my (many) Indian cookery books and see what I can find.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 08, 2020 4:20 pm

There's a recipe for an oil based carrot pickle in Madhur Jaffrey's Invitation to Indian Cookery, there must be plenty online. Over the winter I borrowed a book from the library about fermented foods, by Dearbhla Reynolds. There was a recipe for 'dilly carrots' that I'd like to try, but my dill is going to have to get a move on if I'm to make that.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 08, 2020 6:25 pm

Have to admit I´ve not tried Madhur Jaffrey´s recipe, but I´ve tried a whole lot of others and,to be honest. I´ve never found one with a "WOW!" factor. I´m not saying they´re bad, but I don´t get the tingling tastebuds that I´d get from an HP Sauce, a Lime pickle, a sriracha - or a banana ketchup!
Wh :birthday-dancer I was making lots and lots of chutneys, I made a carrot and orange chutney - if anyone wants the recipe I´d be happy to post it.

Postby Renee » Fri May 08, 2020 6:52 pm

There's a carrot, swede and onion pickle at Waitrose. Presumably carrot is the main ingredient as it's the first one on the list. It might be similar to the carrot pickle.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 896-692897

Postby spangle » Fri May 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Thanks Renee, that looks like it would be nice, though the original carrot pickle was more of an Indian-style one, with chilli and I think tamarind and oil. It was in the same range as their lime pickle and aubergine pickle.

Badger's Mate, I'll see if I can find that recipe, sounds good. I have that fermenting book but haven't done any fermenting for a while. There's a whole subgenre of great condiments to be had from fermentation.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox