Register

Favourite condiments

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite condiments

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:45 am

Yesterday, I made quesadillas with some Indian roti wraps that needed using up, some red pepper tapenade and cheddar. Also did one with blue cheese and leek, I figure it is more a method than a recipe.

I’ve also used Staffordshire oatcakes before to make someth8ng similar. Maybe you gave me the idea, Sue :lol:

Postby Loulou » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:06 pm

OK just had a sort out so I have, in no particular order: different mustards including a Polish one, tartare, creamed horseradish and red currant sauces. Sriracha sauce
( Blue Dragon) at the moment but have had others. Different soy sauces, fish sauce, catsup manis, Geeta’s Lime and Chilli Chutney, and Cholula Hot Sauce. Also various mayonnaise including Hellman’s Chilli mayo, and garlic mayo. Daddie’s brown sauce ( prefer HP) tommy k, and a large grinder with salt garlic and different pepper in including chilli. A lot of really weird and wonderful condiments from everyone that I’m looking forward to looking out for and trying!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:20 am

Cholula Hot Sauce.

I love the presentation, and I love the flavourBUT, I was in Mexico over Christmas, and for the locals,. it doesn´t even rate on the heat scale. There´s a restaurant chain called " La Cervecería del Barrio", which has cholula, plus 4 or 5 others, on the table. They rate it as the mildest!
They will then offer you their " home brew" - usually a combination of serrano and/or habanero chiles.

lfoxr deactivated

Postby lfoxr deactivated » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:09 am

my niece likes yum yum sauce
personal I like good bbq sauce
eastern carolina type which is vinegar based
western is more mustard base
personally I think I tried 50+ different
bbq type sauces in various localities.
most of which are not hot and spicy.
As for chicken wings I prefer traditional buffalo sauce.

Postby Loulou » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:21 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:
Cholula Hot Sauce.

I love the presentation, and I love the flavourBUT, I was in Mexico over Christmas, and for the locals,. it doesn´t even rate on the heat scale. There´s a restaurant chain called " La Cervecería del Barrio", which has cholula, plus 4 or 5 others, on the table. They rate it as the mildest!
They will then offer you their " home brew" - usually a combination of serrano and/or habanero chiles.

Well...I would probably agree! I find it quite a nice rounded fruity flavour as well as spicy. Let’s put it this way, it’s spicy enough for me :thumbsup

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 05, 2020 8:45 am

Love condiments and make a lot myself as many are simple to make. I do have bought condiments but apart from a few bought favourites I much prefer making my own.

I have a lot of different vinegars, peppers, salts chiles etc both as condiments and ingredients to make other condiments like hot sauces, chutneys, pickles, mustards, bbq sauces etc.

I make a simple but fantastic coarse French mustard a l'ancienne that I found online - ferment mustard in lightly salted water for 5 days then add vinegar and blitz to desired texture. Lasts for ages on the fridge and way better imo than bought.

Ditto hot sauces with various chilies/heat and bbq sauces with varying heat levels and sweet/sour/salt ratios.

Love Patak's Brinjal Pickle. Do not like sriracha sauce at all.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 05, 2020 2:00 pm

I just had this drizzled on my lunch

https://www.castillodecanena.com/en/our ... oil-olive/

(You wouldn't want to cook with it... not cheap, and I was going to say not easy to get hold of, but I see they have it on Amazon. I bought my last bottle in Le Bon Marché, Paris.)

Delcious and doesn't quickly lose it's smokiness with time.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 05, 2020 10:33 pm

That looks good Herbidacious. Not come across that ....
here's how to DIY - might try as have loads of evoo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H6itux3BiiU

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 pm

oh that's interesting. I did try to do it once, but it didn't work very well. I have a Bradley's Smoker and a pro-q cold smoker... amongst others :? Husband and I wondered if you somehow need to bubble the smoke through the oil to make it work well.

I have bought various smoked oils over the years and many lose their flavour quickly on opeeing.

I have mentioned this on WF and I know it's just rapeseed oil but it's really very good and cheap enough to cook with. I used it to make roast tomato passata from my homegrown tomatoes last year.

Glad I bought an extra bottle of it before I stopped going to supermakrets.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... -oil-500ml

Postby ZeroCook » Wed May 06, 2020 5:00 am

Herbidacious, Ive never made smoked oil but oil and fats absorb flavours very readily. Perhaps a couples of stirs during smoking would help. Or, probably better, leaving the oil in the smokey covered pan for a few hours or overnight before opening and taking out.

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

I think it got 6 hours, zerocook, but this was in a Bradley smoker which is the size of a very small fridge - the one thing that might make hers work better is that she is smoking in a much more enclosed space (the saucepan.) If you are tempted to try it, I should warn you... smoking inside, even with the extractor fan on, tends to stink out the whole house. I have only done it with a Cameron stove top, though. But I think some smoke leakage is inevitable.

Another problem with home smoking I have found (bearing in mind I don;'t smoike meat or fish) is that whatever whoodchopips I used, things always seem to taste a bit bonfirey. Nice but not always subtle.

Hmm I'd like to do some cheese smoking, now, but it would be a bit antisocial at the moment, I think, as that really does have to be done outside.

One day I will treat myself to a little sentry box shed to use as a mini smoke house.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Fussels! There's a name from the past, I vividly remember Fussels condensed milk from when I was little. Although wasn't it Fussell's??

The oil looks really interesting, good to know about it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 pm

The rape seed oil company appears to be a smallish concern in Somerset.

I too remember Fussell's milk. They were taken over by Nestle and Nestle ditched the name in 2004. https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/facelift-fo ... 01.article

I keep meaning to go to the Museum of Brands, I think it's in W12 or somewhere round there. I remember going when it was the Robert Opie collection in Gloucester, wonderful looking at all the old packaging. We'll have to have a seniors reminisce outing if we're ever allowed out again :lol: !

Sorry, off topic. They'll have lots of old preserve labels though ;) .

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Is it Opie’s who do the jarred pickled walnuts known in our house as mouse brains?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Yes, Opie’ Pickled Walnuts- also other things in jars

I stocked up after Christmas, cut price pickles and red currant jelly

Postby ZeroCook » Wed May 06, 2020 5:37 pm

herbidacious wrote:I think it got 6 hours, zerocook, but this was in a Bradley smoker which is the size of a very small fridge - the one thing that might make hers work better is that she is smoking in a much more enclosed space (the saucepan.) If you are tempted to try it, I should warn you... smoking inside, even with the extractor fan on, tends to stink out the whole house. I have only done it with a Cameron stove top, though. But I think some smoke leakage is inevitable.

<duh> didn't think about that. Maybe better just to buy!

Postby aero280 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:44 pm

One of my favourite condiments is Watkins Mushroom Ketchup. I usually add during cooking though.

Postby Renee » Thu May 07, 2020 10:10 am

I've just ordered three 250ml bottles of the Fussels Smoked Rapeseed Oil from Amazon for £10 with free postage. Rapeseed oil has the lowest saturated fat content. I'm not shopping at Sainsbury's at the moment.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 07, 2020 9:42 pm

I hope you like it after my plugging it so much!

Postby Amyw » Thu May 07, 2020 10:17 pm

aero280 wrote:One of my favourite condiments is Watkins Mushroom Ketchup. I usually add during cooking though.

I've never tried mushroom ketchup, am quite intrigued

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox