Register

Beetroot Ideas, Please

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Beetroot Ideas, Please

Postby Suelle » Tue May 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Without going into the details of a long story, I find myself with several vacuum packs of cooked beetroot to use. They are 250g packs which need using within 3 days of opening. I like beetroot in salads but once a pack is open, I'd like some ideas for using it up, so that I don't end up with every salad, every day, being full of beetroot.

Ideally I'd like main course ideas that you know work well. I only cook for myself, so a general idea (such as 'beetroot and chickpea curry') is just as useful as a recipe link. Not soup though, please, as it's impossible to make in small quantities.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Beetroot Ideas, Please

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 pm

I love beetroot served as a vegetable with sausage and mash.
Cube the beetroot and fry it gently in butter with a little bit of fresh thyme.

Postby Seatallan » Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Oddy enough, I was looking for similar Sue, as I have some that needs using up too. I mixed some in with a couscous salad (couscous, lemon juice, toasted pine nuts, tomatoes, basil, red onion and red pepper) to have with some chicken breasts but I was also thinking of trying this:

https://www.asdagoodliving.co.uk/food/r ... orizo-hash

Will watch this thread with interest....
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 05, 2020 2:43 pm

That looks good Seatallen, I was going to suggest RedFlannel Hash which is corned beef hash with some or all of the spud replaced by beets, but that looks more interesting and more adaptable

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 05, 2020 2:58 pm

I made Cyrus Todiwala's Beetroot Samosas a few years back, which were fine, but to be honest I'd prefer normal samosas for the amount of faff involved.

www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/beetroot-samosa-52.jpg

Postby Suelle » Tue May 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Seatallan wrote:Oddy enough, I was looking for similar Sue, as I have some that needs using up too. I mixed some in with a couscous salad (couscous, lemon juice, toasted pine nuts, tomatoes, basil, red onion and red pepper) to have with some chicken breasts but I was also thinking of trying this:

https://www.asdagoodliving.co.uk/food/r ... orizo-hash

Will watch this thread with interest....

That does look good, and fairly easy to make in smaller quantities too!

Postby Amyw » Tue May 05, 2020 3:30 pm

I’m guessing the beetroots not in vinegar , just vac packed ? I saw kavey post a beetroot and chocolate cake the other day and have seen beetroot brownies before too . If the cake was uniced, it could be frozen in slices , so you wouldn’t feel like you were eating beetroot at every meal !!

You could add some to hummus too , if you like it ?

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Amyw wrote:

Yes, I was going to suggest that too, and I have a feeling we've had a thread somewhere about freezing hummus successfully so you could portion it up and freeze in smaller quantities.
Don't M & S or Waitrose do a beetroot and mint hummus?? I think I remember it being served at a Book Group meeting and it being delicious.

Postby Suelle » Tue May 05, 2020 4:08 pm

Amyw wrote:I’m guessing the beetroots not in vinegar , just vac packed ? I saw kavey post a beetroot and chocolate cake the other day and have seen beetroot brownies before too . If the cake was uniced, it could be frozen in slices , so you wouldn’t feel like you were eating beetroot at every meal !!

Correct - no vinegar.

Baking is a possibility, but as I already have a freezer drawer dedicated to slices of cake, I don't have much need to bake at the moment.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 05, 2020 4:45 pm

Amyw wrote:I saw kavey post a beetroot and chocolate cake the other day

We had a thread on chocolate/beetroot cake a few years back on the old board, a summary of my comments at the time on the Nigel Slater one:

"That is one of the chocolatiest cakes I've had ... the beetroot doesn't come across as a specific flavour or texture ... the centre of the cake was far too moist ... it really is a messy cake to make, loads of bowls and clearing up, so I won't be making it often ... still tasted great nevertheless"

http://www.carta.co.uk/foodforumpix/chocbeetcake-70.jpg

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue May 05, 2020 4:52 pm

I don’t have a problem with an open packet of beetroot. If I have a salad with one of them (in Sainsbury’s there’s usually 4 in the packet) then I can easily just snack on the rest, sometimes with cheese sometimes without anything - I’ll just cut a bit off and eat it. Can’t do the same with pickled beetroot though as I find it a bit harsh to eat on its own. I am partial to drinking some of the vinegar though :lol:. Yes, I have some weird tastes.... :lol: :lol:

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Absolutely love a beetroot and cheddar sandwich on wholemeal bread, with lots of pepper.

Postby Suelle » Tue May 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
Amyw wrote:I saw kavey post a beetroot and chocolate cake the other day

We had a thread on chocolate/beetroot cake a few years back on the old board, a summary of my comments at the time on the Nigel Slater one:

"That is one of the chocolatiest cakes I've had ... the beetroot doesn't come across as a specific flavour or texture ... the centre of the cake was far too moist ... it really is a messy cake to make, loads of bowls and clearing up, so I won't be making it often ... still tasted great nevertheless"

http://www.carta.co.uk/foodforumpix/chocbeetcake-70.jpg

I prefer my beetroot cakes without chocolate - Nigel Slater and Nigella Lawson both have very good recipes.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 05, 2020 5:23 pm

In HFW's Light & Easy' cookery book there's a recipe for Beetroot Burgers. It's supposed to be raw beetroot but I think if you grated cooked beetroot and handled it carefully it would work. The ingredients are beetroot, carrot, onion, garlic, tinned chickpeas, oats, egg and various spices.

I made them once, they weren't bad and as with any veggie burger you could flavour it as you please. If you want the recipe I'll copy it out.

I'm fond of beetroot mixed with yogurt and horseradish. It's a salad really but would be nice with sausages and that kind of thing.

Could you freeze the excess beetroot?

Postby Suelle » Tue May 05, 2020 6:11 pm

I've found the recipe online, EM - thanks for the suggestion.

Once I've opened the pack for a salad one day, the rest would make a main meal a couple of days later, so there's not really any need to freeze any, unless I couldn't eat it for some reason.

I like the beetroot and horseradish mix (chrain, without yogurt) too - my M-i-L was Jewish and served it with schnitzels, but we liked it with roast beef.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 05, 2020 7:09 pm

I had a similar dilemma because my Veg Combo which arrived last Thursday had 2 kgs of beetroot in it.
Cooked the beetroot.
Made beetroot soup - onion, beets, stock, s&p, cream- Blended all together
Made beetroot and Burrata salad, because I found some burrata in the supermarket. Sliced beetroot, Burrata on top, and a dressing made with balsamic, orange juice, horseradish, honey and olive oil.
Beetroot " Lasagna" - layer of cooked beet ( sprinkle with a little salt and sugar); layer of sweetcorn cooked with plenty of onion; layer of bechamel. keep going till you reach the top. Bake for about 40 mins at 375F.
Then there´s beetroot hummus.
And you can make a very tasty smoothie with beetroot, carrot and oranges.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 pm

And I almost forgot this:
https://delishably.com/desserts/Beetroot-Chocolate-Cake-Recipe

I am a lousy baker and not really a "sweets" person. I made this for the first time, assiduously following the recipe. Worked wonderfully. And every time I´ve made it since, it´s always come out perfect.

Postby Suffs » Tue May 05, 2020 7:23 pm

If not beetroot soup ...what about borscht?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 pm

I would have counted borscht as soup myself

I did make a soup with vac packed beetroot that you can certainly make as little as 2 portions of, the beetroot is finely grated or chopped in a food processor

It is Lithuanian, called Saltibarsciai (or Slartibartfast) and you can make subs - the onion leaves in this recipe are usually described as chives, but spring onion greens are fine, kefir or buttermilk works, and you just need roughly equal amounts of beetroot and cucmber when prepared

https://www.tasteatlas.com/saltibarsciai/recipe

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue May 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Roasted beetroot is great with either lamb or sausages. I also made a beetroot and cucumber tzatziki kind of dip recently, also to go with some lamb. This went down very well with both of us. It also doubles up as a thick salad dressing.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox