Register

VE Day Goodies

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

VE Day Goodies

Postby Grasshopper » Mon May 04, 2020 9:53 pm

Is anybode making any VE Day goodies for the weekend?
We are. We are doing an 'afternoon tea' with just the 3 of us. We are doing jelly, little sarnies (how posh :lol: ), buns, possibly scones, and maybe even some biccies.

:yum
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Re: VE Day Goodies

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 pm

Sorry but no, wouldn’t have done it anyway but where I live doesn’t do street parties.

Am sorry there won’t be a Fly Past though. We usually get the tail end. Enjoy Grassy.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 04, 2020 11:59 pm

How lovely, grasshopper!

I wasn't planning on it but have been quite surprised today to notice on social media how many local concerns who offer food box deliveries or mail order are offering special 'tea party packs'. Most contain tea, scones, jam, cream (mostly double cream), sometimes with other tasty morsels too and something like balloons or cardboard bunting. Judging by the prices, they'll do quite well from it! It would be lovely to receive one as a surprise but quite easy to recreate at home if you had the ingredients.

It hadn't occured to me to eat anything special before this week, I might just raise a glass.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 am

My street isn’t laid out to permit a street party - no front gardens. I suppose there might be something on the common

My parents were somewhere in the Mall, jiving away - I doubt they saw a scone, more likely a pint of warm beer and a bag of chips!

Postby Suelle » Tue May 05, 2020 8:17 am

It's not something I'd celebrate at the best of times, but my house is tucked away in the corner of a cul de sac so even if I did anything in the way of decorations, no-one would see them.

One of the local annual Festivals had been moved to coincide with VE 75 Day, but that's been cancelled of course. I would have gone to watch the parade for that, and visited the charity and market stalls..
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue May 05, 2020 11:04 am

Nothing planned here either, also not set up for a street party!

We have two afternoon teas (with clotted cream, thanks for the tip about freezing scully) planned as birthday celebrations coming up, end of May and beginning of June, so won't bother with another.

Those celebrating, have a great time :thumbsup .

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Probably not as the house is set back from the road, up a 50 yard drive, so it would be just us.

Our neighbours further up the road are planning afternoon tea in their own front gardens. There is a cluster of about 8 houses, almost a hameau I suppose, and they get on well.

We used to live in one of the houses up there and it's currently unoccupied. The owners spend the summer here and the winter in NZ but they haven't made it back yet this year.
I could take a chair and pretend I still live there I suppose....

Postby Amyw » Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 pm

I it’s something I’ve ever really dejebrated as such and certainly not a celebration I’d mark with any particular type of food though god bless all the people who sacrificed their lives for us

Postby Grasshopper » Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 pm

We made sausage rolls, buns, (both of which have been quality control tested :yum ), jelly and a choc crispie cake.

Oh, and we made some bunting too.

;)
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu May 07, 2020 11:07 pm

I could just go a HM sausage roll with a dab of Colman's.

Postby Binky » Fri May 08, 2020 2:13 pm

I made what I think is an authentic wartime lunch. Cheese and beetroot sarnies on white bread, a pea tart and a salad made with cucumber, toms, onions, kidney beans and lovage. OH's dad grew kidney beans so I know they were available in the UK

Postby Amyw » Fri May 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Looks beautiful Binky hope you’re keeping well

Postby Binky » Fri May 08, 2020 3:31 pm

It was easy and delicious Amy. We have carrot cake for afternoon tea (thought about making scones but didn't have the energy).

I am doing OK so far; chemo has already started and I've been fitted with a body mould, had some tattoos done and been scanned all in readiness for radiotherapy commencing 18 May.That will run for 4 weeks on a daily basis, and I've been told to expect discomfort around my oesophagus so will need a soft/liquid diet for a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm scoffing everything I fancy and not worrying about calories.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 08, 2020 3:59 pm

That looks just the business, Binky. Really thoughtful.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri May 08, 2020 4:28 pm

We had a kind of VE day inspired lunch today - smoked mackerel pate, toast and salad. However, as we were supposed to be going to a country and western evening at our local theatre, tonight (which got cancelled), we are having an American meal tonight. Well, still seems appropriate as the GI's helps us win the war! We'll be having barbecue chicken and ribs, coleslaw, wedges and dill pickles. Dessert will be peaches with raspberry frozen yogurt.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Glad to hear you're managing at the moment Binky - hope all goes as well as it can for the rest of your treatment. My Mum said that she found radiotherapy was less debilitating than the chemo. Good luck with it all. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 10, 2020 11:09 pm

The pea tart looks interesting.
Might have to do some research.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox