Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Suffs » Sat May 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Norfolk Herbs are brilliant ... I’ve walked around the nursery and chosen my own plants ... cheaper to drive over there than pay postage ... from here anyway. :thumbsup

Postby miss mouse » Sat May 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Suffs wrote:Norfolk Herbs are brilliant ... I’ve walked around the nursery and chosen my own plants ... cheaper to drive over there than pay postage ... from here anyway. :thumbsup

I have bought from them (mail order) in the past and no complaints except that the XXXXX slugs ate the lovage.

Fatsia berries/seeds advice please. I collected some today (and put a big notice on to say that they are not edible, perhaps they are, they do look very like blackcurrants). Where do I go from here? Remove the fleshy bit first? The plan is to grow some fatsia plants.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 02, 2020 3:46 pm

All my herbs made it thro' the winter thank goodness, & are doing well especially the fennel - really bushy - the sorrel has gone beserk, I really should try making soup with it this year- any good recipes out there?
Can't help with the fatsia seeds - I just let them drop off - so will watch your replies with interest, a lot of the fresh young leaves have been slaughtered by the snails & are looking holey - but not in a good way!

Postby Suffs » Sat May 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Never tried it myself Miss Mouse ... big Mr Google says it’s a lot of faffing about https://www.hunker.com/13428496/how-to- ... -from-seed

Postby miss mouse » Sat May 02, 2020 4:23 pm

That does seem a fuss and this is um May I think and not September for the the harvest. I might try the crush & soak bit which doesn't sound like too much effort then stuff them in some compost as we professionals say.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 02, 2020 4:33 pm

My fennel has self seeded all over the place, so several plants. I used to have sorrel. I have never used it. should check to see if it's still there. I think it's sorrel...

The attack on the cornflowers seems to have slowed bit (hope that doesn't jinx it.) Just put a couple of plants in the ground in a different area. Will see how they fare.

I am very pleased with cold frame no.2. Now what to put in it...? Morning glory? Currently in unheated but glass roofed lean to...) Beans and peas started off inside? I guess any and all of the above ought to spend a few days out doors and nights indoors first.

Raised carrot 'manger' prepped but can't find my carrot seeds and too tired to pursue right now, so will sow tomorrow. I've potted on several thymes, an aubergine, a tomato, and stuck three slightly ailing (sun bleached?) nasturtiums in a pot. (Won't bother to start those off inside again...) Was going to pot on a tiny blueberry because I wanted the pot for another thyme, but a) it didn't need it and b) was full of ants :o. Got rid of ants, and put a bit of diatomaceous earth in the bottom, then popped it back in. Not sure if that will help. It's a very slow grower. Would the ants affect it growth? Also sowed a few more different varieties of courgettes. I have promised a few courgette seeds to a neighbour, and a bit of compost :o I hope my delivery comes on Monday... running low. Was also going to sow some cutting celery. May do it later or tomorrow. The cells are ready to sow in.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm

You sound like you've been a very busy girl Herbie...…!! I hope you're having a well-earned :wino

Ants are the bane of my life come summer - I've tried everything - it all knocks 'em back but still the gremlins come back, I've not tried diatomaceous earth but heard good things about it, sounds like a good idea to put at the bottom of a pot - I shall get some & give that a whirl - the bu&&ers don't harm the plants themselves but create channels with their runs around the roots which then stop water getting to them or store too much which will eventually rot them....Aaaarrrhh!!

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 02, 2020 7:58 pm

I have been working this hard most days. Could do with a day off :? The increasingly opprobrious House Situation (untidy and not very clean) is not being addressed, although I did do some vacuuming too. Also need to swap winter for summer clothes, which is a bit of a job.

I might try to do less gardening tomorrow. Some sowing and maybe plant afew things out. I really need to weed the front garden though (and stick plants in it.) The mahonia is either sending underground runners or has self seeded. I have anasty feelling that it's the former. It's taking over. Still loads of geraniums to try and get up too in the back.

That's useful to know re ants and plants. I fear that the situation is getting out of control in/on the patio. I think it would be horror film scenario if you lifted the paving slabs. They seem to be in my herb patch too. And they are coming through the kitchen window frame (I think) as well as throught he gaps in the French windows into the sitting room.

I put a line of diatomaceous earth along the outside bit of the threshold to the sitting room. Will see if this has any affect.

Treating myself to sparkling water. It's rationed.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun May 03, 2020 2:38 pm

Hope you're enjoying a well deserved day off Herbi - Rome wasn't built in a day.....!
I haven't had ants in the house :crossed but peppermint essential oil is known to put them off - they hate it - a few drops diluted with water or witch hazel in a mister sprayed around the inside of the windows is a deterrent - worth trying if they lay siege to the house - let me know if the diatomaceous has any effect, I'm very interested in that.

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 03, 2020 5:11 pm

ok will do and thanks for the perppermint tip.

I might order some namatodes, but would need to find the nest for that to work. Although not sure I want to kill them...

I weeded my raised beds. They are both colllapsing (and one of them is full of rhubarb, which I have thinned a not. I think I need to move it or some of it as it takes up too much room.) I think the empty one will be ok to use this summer (beans, peas, etc.) but will need to rebuild it in the autumn/next spring.

Still can't find my missing chantenay carrot seeds :( I had prepped one of these for them. Not sure what else I can grow in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VegTrug-POPKT0 ... B00JXVR4QA

I tried peas last year in one, but it was difficult to stick supports in it because of the shape. I have another which I have planted with strawberries. Seemed like a good idea when I bought them, but now, not so sure. The idea was to keep crops that are very vulnerable to slugs off the ground.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 03, 2020 5:49 pm

I had ants for a while, which was a bit of a surprise as I’m on the first floor
The cat spent many happy hours trying, or pretending, to herd them

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 03, 2020 9:11 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I had ants for a while, which was a bit of a surprise as I’m on the first floor
The cat spent many happy hours trying, or pretending, to herd them

aw :)

Postby miss mouse » Sun May 03, 2020 10:05 pm

I suspect that ants are going to have another splendid year, I choose chemical warfare, a cat flea spray plus the appallingly named Nippon powder. The neighbour on the fifth floor has them as well.

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 04, 2020 6:42 pm

I think the diawhatsit earth is working. Not spotted ant in the sitting room for a while. But may need to use it copiously and often to keep things undercontrol.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 04, 2020 9:57 pm

Diatomaceous earth - the shells of prehistoric plankton
Used to filter water and various other things

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 04, 2020 10:56 pm

And some people eat it.

I have a bit of a mental block when it comes to remembering it's name. Getting there, though.

I have a couple of seedlings that seem to be hanging on by a thread of a stem. Wondering what to do about it. Bank up the compost around them? I don't think I dare prick them out. They are Hungarian Blue poppies, so very keen to keep alive. Actually they don't look so bad in the photo, but in real life they seem needle thin. What is growing from them is far thicker, as you can see, I think.

IMG_1455.jpg

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 04, 2020 10:58 pm

That's a 3 inch pot btw.

Postby Suffs » Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 am

I would pot them on individually, firming them into the compost right up to the lower leaves.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm

I shall have to be very very careful...! Won't be doing it in today's wind, for sure.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Can anyone help with a privet question please?

We have a very old privet hedge in our front garden separating us from the pavement. It's extremely woody at the bottom and gets most of it's new growth towards the top. It's roughly 6ft.
I have wondered for some time if cutting the thick woody stems near the ground would result in new growth sprouting, any idea if this is the case? If so my intention would be to cut a few stems here and there to start with and then, as they grow and fill the gaps, cut more until the growth has renewed itself (obviously I expect this to be a long term job).

I have always hated this hedge, it was old, woody and out of control when we moved in over 20 years ago and it could well have been there since the house was built around 1900! As far as hubby is concerned removal is not an option! (he doesn't put his foot down about much but his feet are firmly on the ground about this).

Thanks for any help or other suggestions.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff