Register

Dried Milk Powder

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Dried Milk Powder

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 01, 2020 10:40 am

For the last 3 weeks I have not been able to buy DMP, the shelves have been empty, it would seem that S'markets can't get it? Yet, I have watched film footage of milk being poured away - sacrilegious ! I would have thought that it is probably an automated process to dry milk from the 'wet' stuff so don't think the 'distancing' section applies....

Any thoughts from the board would be appreciated....

Re: Dried Milk Powder

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 01, 2020 10:53 am

I suspect the shortage of DMP is the same as the shortage of bread flour. Lots of recipes use DMP and lots of people have taking to baking with their children.

No idea about the drying of milk though other than it's probably done miles away from the places where they are chucking the milk.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 01, 2020 11:11 am

Agree, a lot of this sort of thing is just about the logistics involved.

There are different grades of milk too which cannot just be used for things requiring a different grade.

I have followed with interest the troubles of a local dairy farm, a family concern struggling to keep going as their normal supply chain has stopped (normally goes towards supplying large coffee varieties chains etc), they have been very enterprising selling milk to the local public but the issues encountered are interesting.

Postby scullion » Fri May 01, 2020 11:17 am

i would imagine the factories that dry milk are at capacity anyway so getting milk to them would be pointless.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 01, 2020 11:19 am

See also the discussion on the British cheese crisis thread - dried milk powder is made in special spray equipment and there aren’t many places that have it in the UK, if they are working at full capacity then they can’t take the excess milk

The last pack of milk powder I bought was TRS brand packed for the S Asian market and when I read the small print I found it was made in France

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 01, 2020 12:30 pm

halfateabag wrote:For the last 3 weeks I have not been able to buy DMP, the shelves have been empty, it would seem that S'markets can't get it? Yet, I have watched film footage of milk being poured away - sacrilegious ! I would have thought that it is probably an automated process to dry milk from the 'wet' stuff so don't think the 'distancing' section applies....

Any thoughts from the board would be appreciated....

that's a coincidence Zosh ... I went out this morning, first outing for a couple of weeks, to Tesco and one of the things on the list was Coffee creamer. I found the creamer on the lower shelves where all the coffee is .. and close by was DMP... plenty of it :thumbsup

Postby cherrytree » Fri May 01, 2020 1:01 pm

I make all my own bread in the breadmaker and gave up using dried milk powder years ago. Its absence has had no bad effects- if anything the bread is slightly better.

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 01, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks all for your input. Patsy, I will endeavour to get to a T'cos at some time, our nearest one is half an hour away so not going to make a special journey just for DMP. Would have bought some this avo had our holiday to Corfu (T'cos is on the way to the airport) been going ahead..... but did get a full refund from Tui :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 01, 2020 1:50 pm

I'm sure that other supermarkets would have DMP too ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 01, 2020 1:57 pm

I think looking with coffee creamers and in the world food aisle is likely to work in any large store

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 01, 2020 3:27 pm

I agree cherrytree.

I always added dried milk to my bread dough but vegan nephew was staying overnight so I didn't add it.
It made no difference to the finished loaf so I haven't bothered since.

I accept there are other uses for it though.

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 01, 2020 3:42 pm

They were out of Coffeemate when I did my mother's shop the other day...

Husband always puts it in breadmaker bread (because it says to...) We have enough to last a while, but if we run out... simply leave it out?

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Yes, the recipe book with our Panasonic required milk powder in most doughs. I didn't bother after a few goes and have used it for maybe 17 or 18 years and the better part of 2000 loaves since. I do use DMP in soups and also to convert BM porridge to Mrs B porridge. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 01, 2020 4:40 pm

I have 2 uses for DMP (that sounds odd, in backgammon it’s double match point)

1, Dissolving a little in the milk for home made yogurt to help it set

2 As a standby, since I don’t always have liquid milk in the house I can always reconstitute some if stuck

Postby cherrytree » Fri May 01, 2020 4:43 pm

My old Panasonic breadmaker died. I have a new one now and all references to dried milk powder in the recipes have disappeared.

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 01, 2020 10:29 pm

I think I watched recently a programme where condensed milk was used to make chai in India, although watered down a bit. I do like a bit of evap. in instant coffee when there is an open tin around. My Mum used to use evap. instead of water in jelly when I was a kid, it was lush !

Postby Grasshopper » Fri May 01, 2020 11:06 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have 2 uses for DMP (that sounds odd, in backgammon it’s double match point)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

cherrytree wrote:My old Panasonic breadmaker died. I have a new one now and all references to dried milk powder in the recipes have disappeared.

Exactly the same for me. The only time I use it now is when I make spiced fruit loaf in it - I still use the recipe from the old machine as the new one has egg in it - don't fancy that.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 02, 2020 2:20 am

We´ve always got dried milk powder in the cupboard; just in case we can´t find fresh milk.
Personally, I hate the stuff - it tastes ghastly. However, when there´s no alternative...
The only time I use it is to make gulab jamun!

Postby scullion » Sat May 02, 2020 9:59 am

i have a tin of nido which i find is pretty good as dried milk goes and have it in as an emergency when fresh runs out - it tastes better than the long-life emergency milk (a new tin arrived last night) - and also for gulab jamun!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox