Register

Felicity's vegetarian chilli

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Felicity's vegetarian chilli

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:42 pm

Re: Felicity's vegetarian chilli

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:13 pm

I've not used coffee, and to be honest, I've not been that careful with the chillies

But that sounds pretty good, and not a million miles from what I'm used to

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:46 pm

wot! no chocolate‽‽‽
can't say that i've ever (or ever will) consider coffee. but i do put a few squares of dark chocolate.
the recipe is a little bean heavy, if you ask me - or do you think she's trying the recipe in the safety of self isolation?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:49 pm

She did try the recipe in self isolation - she Instaagrammed some of her development

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:51 pm

but hopefully not the one i'm implying!

Postby Amyw » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:54 pm

I quite fancy a bean chilli now , though would just use tinned black beans. I agree with her green peppers go nicely with chilli

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Interesting. I have been making veggie chilli for decades. (I do like to put quorn mince in it but can do without.) She includes a few things I haven't - namely coriander, marmite and coffee. Might try it, although I am quite set in my ways... :)

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:00 pm

I sometimes add cocoa, never tried coffee. Mixed bean chilli is a regular thing to do on island bird observatories, where refrigerated food storage is at a premium and all the ingredients last out the week. I tend to use dried beans, pinto or borlotti, aduki, black beans, maybe have a tin or two of red kidney beans in reserve if extra is required. Tinned toms plus purée, fresh onions and garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander leaves and stalks. I always make it mild and serve with rice, tortilla chips, whack-a-mole, tomato salsa and various hot sauces, typically one Encona hot pepper sauce, one chipotle and maybe the Nando's lemon & herb. If it's on an island it might include odd veg that need using up. At home I might do marinated peppers as a side, or wedges - potato, sweet potato or a mixture. I have got some 'holy trinity' chili powder - I think it's the varieties they use in mole - which gets an outing if I remember.

ETA
It's worth doing enough for leftovers, using up the chilli with fried tortillas and a fried egg for a brunch of huevos rancheros the following day is always a good idea.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:08 pm

scullion wrote:but hopefully not the one i'm implying!

Ah didn't pick up on that - she mentioned that

I will at some point have to reduce the amount of pulses and garlic when I get into the habit of going within 2 metres of people again

Postby smitch » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

I like a nice smoky chilly. I use a mixture of habenero, ancho and chipotle chile powders plus some chipotle paste or smoked paprika. I hate most types of bean but like black beans or black eyed beans so I usually use those.

I tend to add grated carrot, onion and peppers although the guinea pigs get the green ones in the packet so I use whatever other colour we have in the fridge. I hate celery so never use that. I sometimes use veggie mince or chunks but not always, it depends what we have.

I also add some cocoa powder, cumin, coriander and oregano plus some fennel seeds. I like it served with cheesy wedges (a Delia recipe) or a jacket spud. Our Christmas Eve tradition is chilli cheese dogs so we sometimes have that other times of year for a change too.

Not had chilli for ages, think I've still got a portion in the freezer.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:32 am

Not a bad try. A "Vegetarian" chilli is something of oxymoron, of course; especially in Texas, but still.
10 points for adding coffee.I always do and it adds something rather interesting to the flavour.
No points for not adding a bit of dark chocolate.
I´ve never put coriander in my chile, unless it´s the fresh variety. That might just be me; but I really don´t remember having tasted it in any dish I was served during my last stay in Mexico. What I WOULD put in the chilli is annato/onoto/achiote, and more garlic.
And finally, as a 97.5% vegetarian, I´d want some more vegetables. Pumpkin? Sweet potato? Cauliflower? Just more veg.

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 am

Beans, beans, that wonderful fruit
The more that you eat
The more that you toot

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:38 am

I think there's 2 schools of thought on the veg, I'd probably add grated carrot, for flavour and texture but I prefer a bean chilli, with sides rather than loads or veg in it - at work they used to put in broccoli, which I though was disgusting, but I seem to be on my own with that. just think broccoli is fine in a stir fry, but not in a stew

I have always used coriander, cumin and oregano along with the chillies, and sometimes a pinch of dried basil to give the oregano more pep

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 am

Agree with you on the broccoli, Sue.
Like serving fried plantains with a traditional Sunday Lunch.

Postby Amyw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:11 pm

I don’t like broccoli cooked in stews /saucy dishes. Goes all soggy and doesn’t add anything . I dislike the texture of potatoes cooked in things too , I like my potatoes crispy , though I don’t mind sweet potatoes in chillies, curries etc

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm with you on the addition of broccoli. Ghastly idea. Cubed butternut would be OK though.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 02, 2020 1:35 am

The only way broccoli is good in a "stew" is when you add it during the last 7 minutes of cooking.
But then, that defeats the point of making a "stew", doesn´t it?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 pm

If you fancy some veggie spice, I just found this Kung Po Cauliflower recipe which looks like it might fit the bill. The blogger grew up in Szechwan...

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/kung-pao-cauliflower/

I was looking for a pork (mince) and aubergine recipe, but I think I'll just adapt Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox