Register

Favourite condiments

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Favourite condiments

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:33 pm

I’m a girl who love condiments to pep up a meal and wonder what everyone’s favourites are . Some I like are sriracha, I use the Huy Fong brand . I love some spice and find it almost fruity .

I’m a big fan of Tracklements , especially their horseradish sauce and spiced honey mustard . Love an onion marmalade too . Any particular favourites people would like to recommend?

Re: Favourite condiments

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:13 am

Sriracha fan here too. Love a garlic aioli with seafood, especially squid.

Garlic butter from the I.O.W garlic farm goes on all sorts.

Mustard with sausages or rare roast beef.

Onion chutney with quiche or ploughmans.

I like the Hawkshead brand, we always pop in when we're in the lakes. I think its available nationwide...we often see it in delis around by us.

2 or 3 times per year we put in an order from Fortnum and Mason. Their condiments and sauces are my favourites. We always get their tomato and brown sauces, as well as their signature hot sauce. Plus a selection of jams and honey. (Also a few tins of biscuits!)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:21 am

In a bottle?
Teryaki (or Tamari) I use them interchangeably.

Otherwise, to pep up anything, a squeeze of lemon, Amy.

Postby smitch » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:12 am

I used to love mustard but sadly I’ve developed an allergy so can’t have it anymore.

I love chilli jam, particularly in a cheese toastie. Avjar is good for this too. I like a good onion chutney and I am obsessed with Branston pickle.

I also like sriracha and have a variety of hot sauces in the cupboard.

I have a fab mayo with onion and peppers I bought in Belgium last year, will be sad when that runs out.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:38 am

Lots of condiments, some of which are also ingredients. I tend to find I end up with bottles and jars of things that are quite similar, multiple chilli sauces and mustards for example, and have to rein in the tendency to collect them.

Sriracha, yes love that, Grey Goose brand is my preference. I also have encona West Indian hot sauce, Healthy Boy sweet Thai chilli sauce, Le Phare du Cap Bon Tunisian Harissa in a tube, Lingham’s Chilli Sauce which I haven’t tried yet, and Frank’s Hot Sauce which is more an ingredient than a condiment - often referred to as liquid cayenne and used for Buffalo wings.

Tomato ketchup, HP sauce, and Jack Daniel’s BBQ sauce in a bottle, which I really recommend, first got it to use up some leftover pulled pork in hot sandwiches

English and Dijon mustard, I like German too but currently out of it. I too like the Tracklements horseradish but currently have one from The Bay Tree, which is just as good. I have French whole grain mustard but that seems to be more of an ingredient.

Patak’s brinjal (aubergines) pickle and Geeta’s Mango chutney

White balsamic condiment of Modena - which I use on its own as a simple salad dressing

An assortment of chutneys and pickles acquired from various places, and a Burmese balauchan based condiment I made mysel?

Mayo and salad cream, I do make mayo and aioli fresh when required. Mailed (must be Maille) tartare sauce mainly for fish finger sandwiches

Whaddaya mean, you think that’s over the top? :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Gosh, you've made me realise that I don't use many at all. Many that I do have end up at the back of the fridge.
I have very common taste, I'm not fond of ultra hot sauces or several spices which rule out a lot of sauces and pickles as things I really want to eat.

English mustard for sausages, ham and other cold meats, especially if in a sandwich.
Creamed horseradish - for beef or mixed with yogurt as a versatile dressing.
Soy sauce (neat or made into a dressing)
Lemon juice (ditto)
Salad cream ( which I never stopped liking, mayo for different ocassions).
Tomato ketchup very rarely - used more as an ingredient.
Dijon mustard
Blue Dragon sweet chilli sauce :oops:. more of an ingredient but sometimes a condiment.
I have a nice onion relish recipe which I'll have with things if I've made any.
Waitrose Mango chutney because it doesn't contain cumin.
I don't know if either is still available but Heinz used to do a garlic sauce in a squeezy bottle like salad cream and Sainsburys did a corn relish. Both were quite expensive for the amount and were so nice I didn't dare buy them often!
I own up to liking Branston pickle too :oops: .

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Geeta’s Mango Chutney.

Tracklement’s Horseradish sauce and their piccalilli.

The hottest sriracha I can find.

Worcestershire sauce on chips.

Hellman’s on Spaghetti Bolognese. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby smitch » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:41 pm

I forgot another one of my favourites, Henderson’s Relish. Also chip spice for my chips.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:42 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: Blue Dragon sweet chilli sauce :oops:. more of an ingredient but sometimes a condiment..

I’m intrigued - what sort of thing do you make with sweet chilli sauce? Don’t think I’ve ever cooked with it

I never think of soy or fish sauces as condiments, but of course, dipping sauces

Postby herbidacious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:50 pm

I don't use them that much, possibly because most of my meals are one pot affairs. That said I have rather a large collection (possibly because I don;t use them that much, but am a sucker for somethinf interesting sounding.).

These are ones I particuarlly like:
Mustard - Dijon is probably my favourite (love giong to the Maille shop in Paris where they have it on tap.) although I like the Dusseldorf one too.
Chipotle and Jalapeno tabasco - usually put on pizza.
Liquid smoke (usually in things but also on pizza. I have some in an ordinary bottle and some in a bottle with a spray.)
Henderson's Relish - used as a vegetarian sub for Worcestershire sauce
I like a nice pickle :) including Branston
The Sauce shop Chipotle mayo is rather good.
I do like aioli - normal mayo, I am a bit wary of. Makes me feel a bit sick.
Samurai sauce is bought and used
I love okonomyaki sauce
HP barbecue sauce is a must
ditto Heinz Ketchup
and salad cream
I have some amazing smoked marmalade
horseradish
I have various Indian style chutneys - mango, tamarind and date, aubergine etc which with the advent of curry making in the last few weeks have had more outings than usual.

Soy sauce, veg oyster sauce, teriyaki etc all used primarily in cooking/marinades.

Postby Pampy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:22 pm

I use sweet chilli sauce in a stir fry, usually with vegetables and prawn, or prawn and pineapple with onions and carrots.

Postby Busybee » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Both Heinz and Tiptree tomato ketchup
Adore Branston pickle
Onion jam - preferably Lewis & Cooper
Salad cream
Mayo
HP sauce
Lee & Perrins
Soy sauce
Sweet chilli sauce
I’m not fond of mustards but have colemans, French etc. Likewise horseradish.
Lots of homemade chutneys, usually made by a friend or bought at craft fairs etc.

BB

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:56 pm

Things bought in ?
I love Ranch dressing, Colman´s mustard, Dijon mustard, Lea & P , fish sauce.
But anything chutney/ hot sauce , I make myself. That´s what having a "conserves" company does to you.
I´ve currently got Mango chutney, Beetroot & Tamarind chutney, Piccalilli, Mandarin chutney, Tamarind chutney, Kasundi (tomato chutney with 8 spices), onion jam; gooseberry pickle, aubergine pickle, garlic pickle, hot mango sauce, harissa, Mexican-style hot sauce, Volcanic sauce, pickled jalapeños; then I made some Teryaki and some Ketjap Manis. In a month´s time, the mango tree will be producing its first green mangoes, and Indian Mango Pickle is first on my list.
I´ve also got a collection of bottled hot sauces which are delish - my favourite at the moment is one called " Chocolate", made from chocolate habaneros!

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:06 pm

I too love all mustards apart from whole grain . I do keep ketchup in but use it rarely . One of my pet hates is when people absolutely smother their food in ketchup .

Brown sauce is often used along with Worcestershire sauce and marmite )though I guess the latter two aren’t really condiments) to give a bit of Unami savouriness to stews etc .

I love mayo , though it has to be the full fat stuff and don’t think you can beat Hellman’s . Sweet chilli and mayo together is nice as a dip .

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Gosh, there are lots here. I didn't quite inherit my father's love of malt vinegar, which he would have on salads and jacket potatoes, but I still prefer it on chips. Mrs B insists upon Heinz ketchup. She also loves Branston, but I find it a bit salty these days. Some commercial piccalilli is also, in addition to the alarming effect it has upon the waterworks, but I generally make my own. I make lots of chutney too. We like onion marmalade.

We like tartare, mustard & dill relish. I like all manner of mustards, Colman's, Dijon wholegrain, various herby ones and especially Tewkesbury. Which reminds me that I like horseradish and wasabi too. We generally haven't got brown sauce in the house, but always have a bottle of Lea & Perrin's.

I like mayo and aioli but have come back to salad cream later in life.

There are numerous chilli sauces on the go at any one time - hot ones, sweet ones, unfortunately named Ghanaian ones, smokey ones. Currently opened are a Filipino sauce with coconut vinegar, Mr Vikki's Banana Habanero, and HHH2. We've also got Patak's aubergine, garlic & lime pickles, Geeta's mango chutney, and some home made gooseberry pickle to the Benares recipe. Oh, and Chef Bernie's banana ketchup.

ETA

Not to forget, some peanut relish (Karimix) and Anila's tindori pickle

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:21 pm

herbidacious wrote:
I have some amazing smoked marmalade

what on earth is smoked marmalade????

Ah, just found it. I had never heard of it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I’m intrigued - what sort of thing do you make with sweet chilli sauce? Don’t think I’ve ever cooked with it

:lol: - you are far more of an authentic cook than me, even when just cooking for one.

When I say 'cook', I mean adding to dishes whilst they are cooking rather than serving separately at the table. I often add to stir-fry type dishes or those which use coconut milk, it works as a marinade with salmon, and have been known to add it to meat dishes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Ah, I think I’ve come across sweet chilli suggested as a quick glaze for salmon :thumbsup - I tend to use teriyaki marinade (bought, Kikkoman) as I see no point in buying 3 bottles from the same manufacturer to mix them myself! I often add a bit of ginger garlic paste (Taj, frozen)

I quite like t Pampy’s idea of using in a prawn and veg stir fry too, sort of quick sweet and sour :lol:

I don’t know about authenticity - I am the woman who made quesadillas with Staffordshire oatcakes and ratatouille

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:30 am

I don’t know about authenticity - I am the woman who made quesadillas with Staffordshire oatcakes and ratatouille

Irrelevant. 8-)

It´s all a variation of that adage : " If it ain´t broke, dont fix it" .

In this case: " If it tastes good, don´t knock it"

:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:33 am

I did say when I made them I was testing a theory that the method could be applied to a variety of ingredients! (It can) :lol:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox