Register

10 foodie things lockdown has taught you

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 10 foodie things lockdown has taught you

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:53 pm

herbidacious wrote:
I am learning how essential a fridge is. I know this sounds stupid, because of course it is
I need a bigger fridge and freezer but I can't have one anyway, as no space.

Definitely my nos. 1 and 2!

We had a fridge saga panic on Wednesday. I had defrosted the freezer on Tuesday afternoon - it really, really, really needed it and was a lot emptier than usual because we haven't been going shopping. I turned the whole fridge off and it started up again fine when I finished.
The next day I realised I hadn't defrosted the fridge itself and there was a load of ice on the back wall, so I turned it off again, I think twice for some obscure reason.

Then it didn't start!

No comforting compressor hum ... I panicked and started calling up Zanussi service, finally spoke to someone who checked the serial number and said it was 20 years old (it was here when we moved in 8 years ago) and if we needed a new compressor, they wouldn't be able to supply one.

We discussed options and he said the nearest new equivalent was out of stock as they hadn't had any deliveries for 4 weeks. However there was a (more expensive) AEG they had in stock and he'd find out when they could deliver and install it. It might have been available elsewhere but I couldn't cope with the usual shopping around I would do for something as important as a fridge. Also, it's integrated, which makes it more difficult to install.

He called me back quite quickly and said if I ordered it before 3 pm they could deliver it the next day, Thursday ...

This is now several hours later and still not a sound from it.

So we decided to go ahead and order it, and just as I was making the call it turned back on again!!

Decisions decisions! We decided it wasn't worth risking and the chance of getting a new one the next day in these difficult and strange times simply couldn't be passed up ...

But yes, it really made us realise how important the fridge freezer is,particularly at the moment when we're not going shopping (DS is doing it for us) and also there's no guarantee of getting what you want when you need it, so best to get it when you see it.

Phew ....

The freezer is slightly bigger but the fridge is ever so slightly smaller. As it's integrated there's no way we could change it for a bigger one overall. There was also a panic when I double checked the sizes of the doors and thought the new one wouldn't fit ... but it did! The fitters were brilliant - I scooted off upstairs and OH dealt with them. I was slightly concerned they weren't wearing masks but they had gloves.

3. We can buy the large milk and it lasts. Previously we'd only ever bought the litre size but actually the 2 lts are fine and don't go off! (Probably the only thing we're buying that's actually less expensive than our usual!)
4. I hadn't realised how much we had in stock already!
5. It's possible to eke out more than you realise, for instance, using less of the Lidl dried tomatoes in jars because we can't get back there to replace them and the Sainsbury ones are more than twice as expensive.
6. I have to have enough onions! I can't bear running low and not knowing what's available or not. I would probably even be prepared to pay 25p each which is what the local Tesco charges ...
7. It's amazing what you can do with half a tin of anchovies, a small amount of left-over tomato sauce, dried herbs and the end of a tube of tomato paste and rice ...
8. Shortbread is easier to bake than I thought!
9. It's hard compiling a shopping list for someone else to do - I hadn't realised how many ifs, buts and alternatives I usually consider if what I originally wanted isn't available.
10. Not food related but I can do more than 500 steps a day at home, even if I don't have my pedometer (my phone) on me all the time ...

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:01 pm

lfoxr wrote:1. made Demi-Glace sat on stool 7
hours to get it done
2. taco shells from scratch
3. my dad's tomato and meat sauce recipe
4. beef stew in slow cooker
5. smith island cake with white chocolate glaze 12 layers
6. chili con carne
7. roll cake
8. turkey soup
9. eggs rolls
10 chinese pearl balls

Perhaps you didn't read the article in my first post???

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:37 pm

1- normally how spoilt we are for choice , when it comes to shopping and how fortunate we are

2- the importance of supporting local businesses still doing deliveries etc

3- the value of all the staff still working in the supermarkets under such stressful situations

4- how much I love baking

5- the pleasure of cooking for others

6- how important it is to keep track of what’s in your good cupboards , fridge and freezers . It’s amazing what you can make when there’s apparently nothing in .

7- what a crime food waste really is

8- a real appreciation for simple things , like seeing pasta back on the shelves and some of the summer fruits coming in

9- how to stretch food further and slightly reducing portions of certain foods isn’t a bad thing and can still be sufficiently filling

10-mindset is key . Ive quite enjoyed looking at recipes etc for inspiration and adjusting food plans depending on what’s available. I think if you approach it with a negative outlook , it becomes much more of a chore

Postby cherrytree » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:18 pm

I think it has taught me what a careless world we have become and how I haven’t appreciated how easy it has been to obtain things.( I couldn’t get all the ingredients for my grandson’s birthday cake this morning)
How much I appreciate the local independent shops
How terrific it is to have fresh milk on the doorstep in the morning
How hard our farmers work for us.
How important it is to have competent leaders.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Still not getting to 10
1 Granny was right - you really haven’t finished the job until you have cleared up, and it saves time later, and probably overall. Never having to hurry to get somewhere, I find I’m putting the theory into practice far more (and I’m a systematic neat freak under all circumstances)

2 I’m far too picky about what goes with what normally - if it’s a green veg it will probably go with a meat dish. And you can add any root veg that’s hanging around

3 in fact, aside may be optional, you don’t necessarily need to cram the plate

4 I need to pull my socks up and actually go to local eateries, I walked past 3 today that I’d noted as places I should lunch in some time. I’ve never been to any of them and they may not reopen post lockdown. Use it or lose it.

5 The large but slightly odd Turkish + Indian convenience store round the corner really is very good. It’s where I get my sumac Ms Cooke! (She must live this side of Islington if her butcher is James Elliott).

6 The large wholefood deli and eco stuff shop up the road that friends keep raving about really is very good. I think with both these shops part of my problem is they are quite tightly packed, and it’s easier for me to navigate when only 6 customers are allowed in

Postby cherrytree » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:13 pm

How important family meals are and when we can’t eat together it seems to be a precious memory and something to look forward to.

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:24 pm

smitch wrote: 7) I’d forgotten just how much I love buttered toast!

Who doesn't love buttered toast! :yum

We've been getting around to using some of the more unusual items in the food cupboards - and making interesting meals with them.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:45 pm

I don’t ....

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 pm

You don't like buttered toast? Do you like toast tho?
Grasshopper

Postby Amyw » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:38 am

Not massively , toast is just kind of there . I’ll have things like cheese or egg on toast but toast by itself meh

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 pm

I have made my own bread for years.
My preferred method is to make the dough in the bread maker, tip it into a tin to prove and then bake it in the oven.

Neighbour gave me some fresh yeast that she wasn't going to use.
The bread maker instructions advise dried yeast only but I gave it a go anyway.
Didn't bother to activate it, just crumbled in twice as much as I would use of dried.

Worked a treat, you wouldn't know I had done anything different.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:15 pm

Anyone who is obsessed with authenticity look away now

I’ve long suspected that while a Mexican quesadilla has rules, the method could be generic. Proved it at lunch time by making 2 nice little half moon “quesadillas” using 2 small Staffordshire oatcakes, some leftover ratatouille, and some cheddar. Yum.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:33 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
herbidacious wrote:
I am learning how essential a fridge is. I know this sounds stupid, because of course it is
I need a bigger fridge and freezer but I can't have one anyway, as no space.

Definitely my nos. 1 and 2!

We had a fridge saga panic on Wednesday. I had defrosted the freezer on Tuesday afternoon - it really, really, really needed it and was a lot emptier than usual because we haven't been going shopping. I turned the whole fridge off and it started up again fine when I finished.
The next day I realised I hadn't defrosted the fridge itself and there was a load of ice on the back wall, so I turned it off again, I think twice for some obscure reason.

Then it didn't start!

No comforting compressor hum ... I panicked and started calling up Zanussi service, finally spoke to someone who checked the serial number and said it was 20 years old (it was here when we moved in 8 years ago) and if we needed a new compressor, they wouldn't be able to supply one.

We discussed options and he said the nearest new equivalent was out of stock as they hadn't had any deliveries for 4 weeks. However there was a (more expensive) AEG they had in stock and he'd find out when they could deliver and install it. It might have been available elsewhere but I couldn't cope with the usual shopping around I would do for something as important as a fridge. Also, it's integrated, which makes it more difficult to install.

He called me back quite quickly and said if I ordered it before 3 pm they could deliver it the next day, Thursday ...

This is now several hours later and still not a sound from it.

So we decided to go ahead and order it, and just as I was making the call it turned back on again!!

Decisions decisions! We decided it wasn't worth risking and the chance of getting a new one the next day in these difficult and strange times simply couldn't be passed up ...

But yes, it really made us realise how important the fridge freezer is,particularly at the moment when we're not going shopping (DS is doing it for us) and also there's no guarantee of getting what you want when you need it, so best to get it when you see it.

Phew ....

The freezer is slightly bigger but the fridge is ever so slightly smaller. As it's integrated there's no way we could change it for a bigger one overall. There was also a panic when I double checked the sizes of the doors and thought the new one wouldn't fit ... but it did! The fitters were brilliant - I scooted off upstairs and OH dealt with them. I was slightly concerned they weren't wearing masks but they had gloves.

3. We can buy the large milk and it lasts. Previously we'd only ever bought the litre size but actually the 2 lts are fine and don't go off! (Probably the only thing we're buying that's actually less expensive than our usual!)
4. I hadn't realised how much we had in stock already!
5. It's possible to eke out more than you realise, for instance, using less of the Lidl dried tomatoes in jars because we can't get back there to replace them and the Sainsbury ones are more than twice as expensive.
6. I have to have enough onions! I can't bear running low and not knowing what's available or not. I would probably even be prepared to pay 25p each which is what the local Tesco charges ...
7. It's amazing what you can do with half a tin of anchovies, a small amount of left-over tomato sauce, dried herbs and the end of a tube of tomato paste and rice ...
8. Shortbread is easier to bake than I thought!
9. It's hard compiling a shopping list for someone else to do - I hadn't realised how many ifs, buts and alternatives I usually consider if what I originally wanted isn't available.
10. Not food related but I can do more than 500 steps a day at home, even if I don't have my pedometer (my phone) on me all the time ...

When I first read this I thought "oh my, how awful (or words to this effect)". Well today it happened to our freezer and I thought "words to this effect". Add to this we are expecting an Ocado order tomorrow! We were, like yourself, able to get one delivered today, a bit smaller but you get what you can. Now the original is working away quite happily so we have two freezers. The old freezer is just over 20years old and could well pack up (hubby says it's making odd noises). Funnily enough we also bought and had it delivered the same day which was the day we moved in as the one we had didn't make the journey!

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:40 pm

Amy - I LOVE toast! Either just plain (and buttered), or with things on it, such as eggs (in any form), beans, cheese, tinned tomatos, etc etc etc.

:yum
Grasshopper

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:47 pm

making 2 nice little half moon “quesadillas” using 2 small Staffordshire oatcakes

I was wondering about making some oatcakes, dosas and other flatbreads or pancakes to eke out the flour somewhat. I've got a few broad beans left in the freezer - mashed with mint, feta & cheddar as a quesadilla filling :yum

I've probably used more sumac in the last month than in the previous six.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:04 pm

I use Felicity’s recipe with 2 changes, as I use easy blend yeast I just whisk it into the dry flour. Then I use a small non-stick frying pan 20cm across the top with a 1/3 cup measure to scoop in a portion of batter, makes 16

They do take 2 minutes a side, so headphones on!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... e-oatcakes

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:12 am

1) If the recipe says "serves four as a starter", make only a third. It´s enough for at least two days.
2) You get to try out recipes you´ve always said " I must make that sometime" and have never made it.
3) You become hyper-susceptible to waste. I made a salad dressing with paw-paw seeds today.
4) A litre of milk will last me 10 days.
5) I love coffee, but not for breakfast. NOOOO! I ran out of tea two weeks ago and there´s no way I´ll get any more until this bloomin´virus has gone.
6) It is totally unneccesary to respect mealtimes. You eat when you´re hungry.
7) Beer in small bottles gets drunk faster.
8) Anything that falls off the worktop in the kitchen does not need to be cleaned up. The dog will do that.
9) I crave something sweet. Normally, i´m not bothered, but today, i made Sunflower´s cheesecake.
10) I wonder how long it takes to grow peanuts, because I´m almost out of peanut butter.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:39 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:
When I first read this I thought "oh my, how awful (or words to this effect)". Well today it happened to our freezer and I thought "words to this effect". Add to this we are expecting an Ocado order tomorrow! We were, like yourself, able to get one delivered today, a bit smaller but you get what you can. Now the original is working away quite happily so we have two freezers. The old freezer is just over 20years old and could well pack up (hubby says it's making odd noises). Funnily enough we also bought and had it delivered the same day which was the day we moved in as the one we had didn't make the journey!

Goodness, I hope we didn't spook your freezer :lol:
Glad you were able to get one so quickly, good that you've got space for two.
Weird that yours started up again too - had you also just cleaned it, as we had?

We've got a bit of a track record with cleaning things and then having to replace them - it happened with our oven a few years ago! Somehow we managed to destroy the thermostat and so it just carried on getting hotter and hotter. A pizza practically burned in 5 mins and a chicken in about 40 mins or so!!

And the moral of the story is ... :lol: :lol:

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:21 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:

Goodness, I hope we didn't spook your freezer :lol:
Glad you were able to get one so quickly, good that you've got space for two.
Weird that yours started up again too - had you also just cleaned it, as we had?

We've got a bit of a track record with cleaning things and then having to replace them - it happened with our oven a few years ago! Somehow we managed to destroy the thermostat and so it just carried on getting hotter and hotter. A pizza practically burned in 5 mins and a chicken in about 40 mins or so!!

And the moral of the story is ... :lol: :lol:

I think our freezer felt left out :lol: .

We had just sorted and tidied as we are having an Ocado delivery today. I have no idea why it played up, the temperature fell then wouldn't go back up, then later on it did. Hubby said (after it went funky) it had been making funny noises earlier in the week and he was hoping it wasn't going to pack up. I think overall we feel happier having an alternative, we'll just share out the contents between the two.
I'm sure you understand the (mild?) panic that set in, I was so happy to find a local shop with a suitable freezer, I wasn't confident we would.
Daughter will probably end up with the new one in her garage at some point, as long as the old one keeps going.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:50 pm

I know some people who decided they needed a third freezer to put all their panic buying into a couple of weeks before lockdown :evil: . It seems that everyone else had the same idea, there was only one available in the whole town at a small independent electrical supplier. It was a very small freezer and they were asking £700 for it!

The amount of food that must have been stockpiled beggars belief!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox