Register

10 foodie things lockdown has taught you

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

10 foodie things lockdown has taught you

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Rachel is a regular Guardian food writer.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... about-food

I'm writing my list . . .

Site Admin

Re: 10 foodie things lockdown has taught you

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:24 pm

6 and 7 seem to cancel each other out, praise for local turkish shop that "has everything"; but "goodbye sumac" because all I've got to work with is a can of tomatoes :-(

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:38 pm

I’m thinking about mine. Not sure I’ll make it to 10 - living alone and being retired it’s not the massive shift for me that it is for, say, a mum missing school lunches and a daily visit to Pret from the office

I’m not surprised by the rationing via supermarkets, the panic buying has been silly

One thing I have been doing is not running down my stocks too far, but eating what I have found in the shops, where possible, as I think there will be odd gaps in supplies in the coming month cf the cheese thread

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:54 pm

I was going to say something along similar lines, that my circumstances mean that post C19 and pre C19 are not a great deal different other than the queueing.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm retired too but my problem is that I love my food but live with a massively fussy eater who would happily exist on a rota of roast dinner, sausages and mash, and spaghetti bolognese. So often I cook separately for each of us.

Postby Busybee » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I’m definitely missing eating out, we probably have lunch out once a week. Maybe a takeaway, again once a week. I’m a bit fed up of cooking to be honest.

I cleared all my cupboards etc at the beginning of lockdown and we have eaten everything that was out of date. Like Sue I’m not letting stocks run down as I would have previously.

As I’m classed as vulnerable I’m at home and not therefore shopping. I’m missing shopping for food, seeing what looks nice and building menus around those items. Instead OH is doing the shopping, he gets what’s on the list, if he can, but doesn’t look to see what might be on offer, reduced to clear etc.

People are asking what’s the first thing your going to do after lockdown, with the exception of giving my mum and dad a huge hug, it’s hairdresser then Indian restaurant!

BB

Closely followed by dog groomer, butchers, grocers and all the other small businesses that have kept us going.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:41 pm

A friend of mine has posted this comprehensive set of C19 guidelines on Facebook.

The grammar policemen in me needed to point out that "Drs" means "doctor's". Other than that it's spectacularly on the button!

IMPORTANT MESSAGES FROM THE GOVERNMENT

In case anyone is confused about the guidelines as we enter the three-week extension to the current lockdown in the UK, here is a summary of the advice, for full clarity.

1. You MUST NOT leave the house for any reason, but if you have a reason, you can leave the house

2. Masks are useless at protecting you against the virus, but you may have to wear one because it can save lives, but they may not work, but they may be mandatory, but maybe not

3. Shops are closed, except those shops that are open

4. You must not go to work but you can get another job and go to work

5. You should not go to the Drs or to the hospital unless you have to go there, unless you are too poorly to go there

6. This virus can kill people, but don’t be scared of it. It can only kill those people who are vulnerable or those people who are not vulnerable people. It’s possible to contain and control it, sometimes, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster

7. Gloves won't help, but they can still help so wear them sometimes or not

8. STAY HOME, but it's important to go out

9. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarkets, but there are many things missing. Sometimes you won’t need loo rolls but you should buy some just in case you need some

10. The virus has no effect on children except those children it effects

11. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

12. Stay 2 metres away from tigers (see point 11)

13. You will have many symptoms if your get the virus, but you can also get symptoms without getting the virus, get the virus without having any symptoms or be contagious without having symptoms, or be non contagious with symptoms...

14. To help protect yourself you should eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand as it's better not to go out shopping

15. It's important to get fresh air but don't go to parks but go for a walk. But don’t sit down, except if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant or if you’re not old or pregnant but need to sit down. If you do sit down don’t eat your picnic

16. Don’t visit old people but you have to take care of the old people and bring them food and medication

17. If you are sick, you can go out when you are better but anyone else in your household can’t go out when you are better unless they need to go out

18. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house. These deliveries are safe. But groceries you bring back to your house have to be decontaminated outside for 3 hours including Pizza...

19. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but they can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver

20. You are safe if you maintain the safe social distance when out but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours ... or four hours... six hours... I mean days, not hours... But it needs a damp environment. Or a cold environment that is warm and dry... in the air, as long as the air is not plastic

22. Schools are closed so you need to home educate your children, unless you can send them to school because you’re not at home. If you are at home you can home educate your children using various portals and virtual class rooms, unless you have poor internet, or more than one child and only one computer, or you are working from home. Baking cakes can be considered maths, science or art. If you are home educating you can include household chores to be education. If you are home educating you can start drinking at 10am

23. If you are not home educating children you can also start drinking at 10am

24. The number of corona related deaths will be announced daily but we don't know how many people are infected as they are only testing those who are almost dead to find out if that's what they will die of… the people who die of corona who aren’t counted won’t be counted

25. You should stay in locked down until the virus stops infecting people but it will only stop infecting people if we all get infected so it’s important we get infected and some don’t get infected

26. You can join your neighbours for a street party and turn your music up for an outside disco and your neighbours won’t call the police. People in another street are allowed to call the police about your music.

27. No business will go under due to Coronavirus except those businesses that will have already gone under.

Postby Binky » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:44 pm

One of the few things I miss is fresh basil and coriander (coriander from the market stall and basil in pots from a supermarket). Not really missing much else .

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:47 pm

That is about the strength of it Sakkarin! :clap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:16 pm

I read that somewhere earlier, Sakkarin. Very funny and so true.

I am on my own, in good health and haven't been in a shop for about 6 weeks (but have done click & collect twice). The only things I really miss are going out to enjoy the countryside and other towns. A short break from everything else is quite nice, as long as it is short. My thoughts are with those for whom this is quite dreadful for numerous reasons.

My foodie things:

1. I had absolutely no idea there was so much food in my cupboards. It didn't look that much.
2. That I have more time to plan and make slower meals and to try recipes I've meant to for years with pleasure.
3. That I am pretty good at making something from very little and improvising (I think I knew that already but have been reminded!).
4. That less stress has eliminated any desire for emotional eating.
5. That I appreciate things more when I choose not to rush to the shops on a whim (cheese, peanut butter, dried fruit, fresh tomatoes, lemons and green veg and bread especially).
6. That I care about checking that those round me have adequate supplies (as well as the larger social food problem but I cared about that before).
7. That I am so grateful for what I do have and for the small space I have to grow sprouting seeds and herbs - and fruit later in the year.
8. That our local shops, smallholdings and farms are truly fab and deserve support long after all this.
9. That I miss cooking with GD.
10. That it will be a wonderful treat to go out with friends for lunch or coffee and cake again one day and that we will appreciate it all the more.

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:45 pm

I normally have my dinner out twice a week - Tuesdays and Saturdays, and boy, do I miss it! :(
Can't even get a cuppa :(
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby liketocook » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Read that on a FB post and it's so true....
For me:-
1. How much I rely on online supermarket deliveries
2. I have enough food in the house (without panic buying) to last a long time although the combinations might end being a bit odd after a while
3. Despite very little shopping for "stores" for several weeks my freezers/cupboards don't seem to have much more space in them
4. That local businesses can adapt and change to reflect need, here they've been fab- I hope more continue to offer delivery post CV19
5. Sourdough starters left untouched in the fridge for months revive beautifully
6. I eat too much bread
7. I eat too many potatoes
8. I miss cuppas and catch ups with my sister a couple of times a week
9. Polenta fries are very moreish
10. I'm grateful that I have a veg garden and have seedlings to plant out soon

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:42 am

That Facebook friend's list is indeed spot on. I'd have added "Buy only essential goods that are essential to you but might not be seen to be by the local constabulary so don't buy them, unless they're essential to you."

I couldn't personally reach 10 items of foodie learnings or changes due to lockdown, but then again I don't have 10 column inches needing to be filled.

As another said: Cupboard empty space doesn't seem to be increasing. Mine neither, which is bad as I'm someone who really should eat more, not less, so natural instinct to save "just in case" is not doing me any favours. I need Alice in Wonderland stickers on everything saying "Eat me".

On the upside, I'm not taking up unnecessary weekly delivery slots. Someone reckoned there's a business to be had by booking delivery slots and selling them to the highest bidder, like ticket touts. I can't decide if that annoys me or just wish I'd thought of it first :mrgreen: :twisted:

lfoxr deactivated

Postby lfoxr deactivated » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:00 am

1. made Demi-Glace sat on stool 7
hours to get it done
2. taco shells from scratch
3. my dad's tomato and meat sauce recipe
4. beef stew in slow cooker
5. smith island cake with white chocolate glaze 12 layers
6. chili con carne
7. roll cake
8. turkey soup
9. eggs rolls
10 chinese pearl balls

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:46 am

There are some great thought on this thread, and I also saw the Facebook thing that Sakkarin posted.

As Mr Strictly and I are both keyworkers, not much has changed in this household. Therefore I am not sure whether I have learnt 10 foodie things during lockdown, but here goes:

1. I am rejoicing in the fact that I am an adaptable cook

2. Our store cupboards were pretty well stocked prior to lockdown.

3. I can go several days without using even half a tin of tomatoes

4. the stock-piling swines drive me nuts

5. Due to point 4 above, we (plus our supermarket) have got to know what supplies are really unpopular and not leaving the shelves

6. Being thankful that we actually like some of the items in point 5 above

7. Self rationing and portion control is key

8. rejoicing in being able to make a substantial meal from relatively few ingredients.

9. rejoicing in being able to make a substantial meal from small quantities of several ingredients

10, when getting 85% of that is on your shopping list feels like a lottery win

Yay, managed to get 10!

Postby dennispc » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:38 am

1. Hello Fresh has been a life saver.

2. There are 8.2 million people in this country over 70 - 1.5 million are catered for in terms of home delivery. The rest aren't.

I was about to go on a long rant but thought you nice people don't deserve it. :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:02 am

I can empathize with no 1 apart from the first sentence. I know I don't cook a great deal and the reason why I don't has gone, which makes it possible now. I am not getting home from work exhausted and starving. I don't have to cram everything (including daily half hour conversation to my very elderly mother.... which incidentally pushes 50 mins in Covid times) into the 4 hours before bedtime. I don't have to plan meals that are ok to wait for a husband who gets home much later.
Pre Covid, it wasn't that I ate out or got takeaways (once every six months perhaps) in the evenings, and the only ready meal I ever buy is the occasional cauliflower cheese, but I didn't eat as much in the evening and did quite a lot of construction rather than proper cooking. We did eat both lunches out at the weekend and often that was the only meal.

I am learning how essential a fridge is. I know this sounds stupid, because of course it is, but this has not really been tested before. Because I am not going to the shops, when I get veg and fruit delivered it's more than I can fit in my fridge so whatever I deem can, goes in a cool porch until I can squeeze it in. It goes off quickly. I wasted a quarter of a pack of strawberries - a naughty treat - to mould yesterday. (I shall eat the rest today. They seem nicer than ones I have bought before. Possibly are if restaurant standard ones.) Yes, my mother used to keep all sorts in the pantry, but she went shopping twice a week and we got through things quickly.

I have learnt that I would not have wanted to be a 1950s style housewife, with cooking the evening meal being an essential thing and possibly a focal point of the day. (I am doing almost all the cooking at the moment.) I was unwell for a while some years back and didn't cook. It was a joy to realize how much I loved cooking when I started to cook again. I am mean really love it. I am in danger of losing that a bit. I think tonight when I cook, crank up the music and let a bit of that joy back in.

I quite like this lifestyle. I am a fairly extreme introvert. It suits me not to have to socialize. I also have time and energy to do the things I want to do. Gardening and cooking, although I can't seem to write and photographic subjects are limited. It's not just going to work that usually stops me doing these things (time and energy), but also going out to lunch at the weekends which takes out a big chunk of the day. Sorry this is only slightly food related.

I have few cravings, but would like some mozzarella and coriander. (I had to chuck out basil and coriander bunches that were delivered last Tuesday having eat only a little of the former and nothing of the latter. Btw the stench of rotting coriander stems is pretty nauseating.) I found a stash of Angel Delight and was... delighted. I had burrata in my posh food delivery. Must make sure we eat it before it goes off.

I'd like someone to cook for me (something nice.) Which means eating out. But that's the main aspect of eating out that I miss. However, eating out was the main time husband and I really talked so may institute eating at the table once a week thing. It was pleasant doing it for husband's 50th the week before last.

re Rachel Cooke's 7. You'd think she'd be avoiding tinned tomato dishes. I was just discussing with husband that my frozen tomatoes from last year will probably last until the next harvest, provided there is one. I lost all my tomato plants one year to early blight so one cannot take anything for granted. But I would like the freezer space they take up.

I need a bigger fridge and freezer but I can't have one anyway, as no space.

I go to the supermarket far more often than I need to usually. But I do like going...

I enjoy being more frugal and creating less waste. (I am a northerner and the daughter of wartime children/teenagers :) )

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:04 am

1) I’m glad I’ve been able to buy fresh greens for the guinea pigs. I was worried they’d have to go without.

2) I’ve rediscovered how much I love baking

3) I’ve had the time to try new recipes and now have several more dishes that will go into our regular rotation

4) I’m really grateful for the locally owned whole foods shop, as they’ve had plenty of flour in stock along with lovely sourdough bread

5) Although living where we do rules us out of most food delivery options from Manchester based traders, finding a couple of places who will deliver out here has been a real treat

6) We’ve been enjoying some of the barrel aged beers we were saving for a special occasion. I’d rather live in the moment that wait for something that may never happen

7) I’d forgotten just how much I love buttered toast!

8) I’m glad I always have a good stock of pasta and tinned tomatoes and pulses

9) Having a small treat, like the afternoon tea I made last weekend, can really lift your mood

10) I really miss going to the pub and eating out. I’m glad the beer community is so active on Twitter.

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:47 pm

Do you give your piggies dandelion leaves, Smitch? Ours used to love them, as well as pea pods when we'd had fresh peas.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox