Register

Panic buying

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Panic buying

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:19 pm

Are you saying that your understanding is that it is actually contagious by touch but they're not telling us?

Of course I am not suggesting any form of conspiracy theory

Merely that chain of transmission works like that game where you pass an orange from one person to another, and it has very little ti do with touching your face

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:42 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
Are you saying that your understanding is that it is actually contagious by touch but they're not telling us?

Of course I am not suggesting any form of conspiracy theory

Merely that chain of transmission works like that game where you pass an orange from one person to another, and it has very little ti do with touching your face

You still seem to be saying that the chain of transmission and thus contracting the virus is by physical touch contact, implying through the skin if not via orifices. (Deep cleans don't imply an airborne inhaled contaminant. If you're not, then what are you saying? Sorry if being thick.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:24 am

I am not “implying” anything of the sort, merely making clear what anyone with entry level knowledge of infection would understand

There is, as far as I know, no suggestion the Covid-19 virus can be absorbed by skin contact

Most respiratory viruses are acquired through the mucosae (the moist tissues in the mouth and nose, rarely the eyes)

The NHS guidelines suggest washing your hands to ensure they aren’t carry infection. If you aren’t carrying infection on your hands, you will break the chain

They then go on to suggest, in separate advice, that it’s probably a bad idea to touch your face with unwashed hands

Postby Rainbow » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:01 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I am not “implying” anything of the sort, merely making clear what anyone with entry level knowledge of infection would understand

There is, as far as I know, no suggestion the Covid-19 virus can be absorbed by skin contact

Most respiratory viruses are acquired through the mucosae (the moist tissues in the mouth and nose, rarely the eyes)

The NHS guidelines suggest washing your hands to ensure they aren’t carry infection. If you aren’t carrying infection on your hands, you will break the chain

They then go on to suggest, in separate advice, that it’s probably a bad idea to touch your face with unwashed hands

Australian Govt. advice at the moment says:-

"COVID-19 is most likely to spread from person-to-person through:

direct close contact with an infectious person, or in the 24 hours before their symptoms appeared

close contact with an infected person who coughs or sneezes

touching objects or surfaces (such as door handles or tables) contaminated from a cough or sneeze from an infected person, and then touching your mouth or face"

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:57 am

As far as I understand it, the virus enters the body through ingesting or inhaling it, whether through the nose, mouth or rarely, as Sue said, the eyes. Ways of it reaching the mouth/nose/eyes can be many and varied, the main two being from hands which have picked up the virus by touching something that carries it and from inhaling droplets from the air that are harbouring it, expelled by another person who carries it. I've also not seen any suggestion that it could be transmitted by skin contact.

Rainbow - love the picture! I can well imagine many pets feeling like that!

I see that Ocado are no longer taking orders from new customers - glad I took out a Smart Pass last week!

Postby Renee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 pm

I need to sort something out when I go back home on Thursday. Everything has changed so rapidly since I came to Colin's on the 3rd.

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 pm

As I’m starting work tomorrow at 10am and not finishing till Monday at 9am !! I’ve made a list today of all the main supplies we have in , including freezer , cupboard and fridge stuff . I find seeing it in black and white helps me to pair up potential items together .

Luckily I managed to get a large piece of pork shoulder today . I’ll roast it with stuffing tomorrow , to eke it out , use some for sandwiches then shred the rest and do enchiladas which the girls love . As I’m away for so long , and can’t take 5 days worth of food with me , I’ve come to terms I might have to lapse my mainly vegetarian diet for now . In the grand scheme of things o don’t think it’s as important as it once was .

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:17 pm

Love that dog collar pic!

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:49 pm

I have an Ocado order being delivered tomorrow and it seems they've put the latest edit time back as I can't make any changes now (should be before 5pm-ish). I thought I'd do another order and the earliest I can get a delivery is 5th April! I did notice though that they've got more stocks of things like strong flour, longlife milk and anti-bac wipes. They've put limits on what you can order which I think will make it fairer for all.

Postby dennispc » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:16 pm

If a mature adult is told their elderly parents will be stuck at home for three months, or the family with two kids a fortnight, it’s not surprising people are going to stock up

Waitrose have emailed me to say on-line customers will be restricted on certain items, but in-store it’s just a polite request to limit purchases.

A thinking government would’ve told supermarkets etc., to ensure they limit customers, whether on line on in store.

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 pm

I think more supermarkets are starting to limit purchases - I've just had an email from Tesco to that effect. They're also stopping all night opening in every store. The thing with limiting purchases (which I do agree with) is that if someone is determined to buy above the limit, they'll just pack their purchases in the car and then go back in the store for another go. And I totally agree that if someone is going to be isolated for 3 months, they'll want to have the necessary supplies to see them through. It's alright saying you can get online orders delivered but that's making the assumption that you can actually get a delivery slot within a reasonable timeframe. As I said in an earlier post on this thread, the earliest that I could place an Ocado order for this morning was the 5th April.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:57 am

Ocado has temporarily suspended its delivery service completely. Have looked at Sainsbugs, Asda, Morrisons and Tesco sites - the earliest any of them had a delivery slot was Asda on 30th March. The others were well into April. I can't get onto the Waitrose site to check what's happening there. I've an Ocado order coming tomorrow and managed to book another for 5th April - I don't think there'll be any problems with tomorrows's delivery but I don't know what will happen to the 5th April one.

Postby scullion » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 am

i know someone who delivers for sainsbugs. they are doing nearly double the amount of deliveries with over half as much again of items per order. i would imagine they are having to ignore the 'slot' times. they are feeling very overworked.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:42 pm

My Ocado delivery was nearly 2 hours early!

Postby dennispc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Did my last Waitrose shop this morning. At 8am it was heaving! People were coming in just for toilet rolls. Lots of empty shelves. We reckon we're OK for at least a couple of weeks, then the kids will make sure we're OK. We're fortunate.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 pm

Sakkarin! A friend sent me a hilarious video of the queues at Costco Bushey this morning. Would love to share but don't have a scooby how to do it here, Any thoughts? Am on FB, Messenger, Twitter, Insta . . . . .

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Email it to me and I'll put it in your post, I'll PM my email address...

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks Sakkarin!

Postby Renee » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Pampy I found the same thing when I looked online. Having been away at Colin's for two and a half weeks, I've come home to all this frenzy.

This morning, I decided to try our large Waitrose, which is at the Capitol Centre and about 8 miles away. It was well worth a visit because it was quiet and I occasionally had an aisle to myself. I managed to get everything that I wanted from there. I buy sourdough bread from there, so there was plenty available. The only flour left was spelt flour so I bought a couple of bags.

Postby Uschi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Renée, spelt flour is very nice, expecially for bread baking. "White" spelt flour (i.e. not the strong stuff) can be used for cakes, too.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox