Register

The 12 European dishes we should all try

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The 12 European dishes we should all try

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:25 am

Site Admin

Re: The 12 European dishes we should all try

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:27 pm

I looked for a recipe for "Eisbein", but as an ex-skater, I was drawn in to the explanation for the name - "Eisbein (literally: "ice leg") is a German culinary dish of pickled ham hock, usually cured and slightly boiled. The word comes from the bone which was once used for blades of ice skates." People used to skate on pig bones?!?!?

If this recipe is anything to go by, I've had it many times, as it's basically stage 1 of Heston's Pea & Ham soup.
https://justeasyrecipes.co.za/2009/08/27/eisbein/

Odd list. Some are slight variations on what would be pretty normal fare anywhere, the sweetbread vol-au-vents are just daft, but don't forget, Ms Pic grew up surrounded by 3 Star Michelin cheffery.

Intrigued by Boxty, which being from so close to home I feel I should have known about. I'll dig out Darina Allen's book of traditional Irish stuff.

Just off to forage for some mountain herbs for the Frika.

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:56 pm

I can't see any of those on my own bucket list.

The boxty reminds me of someone maybe on here who suggested cooked gnocchis put in a deepish tray, plus bacon, tom, broc whatever, then smothered with melty cheese and grilled to a gloopy gunk. It's delicious.

Postby Amyw » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:16 pm

I've had lumpfish roe and the Greek style roast chicken before. They do seem a bit of an odd mix and none really appeal to me to try .

I much prefer gnocchi baked or pan fried than just boiled as an accompaniment. I first tried gnocchi after reading about them in a Nigella book, possibly Nigella Express when she pan fried them and said they were like mini roast potatoes. I remember loving them and going through quite a phase of eating them . Might have to eat again soon

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 am

Wow. That lot is so esoteric, I can´t believe it.
Haven´t the journalists got something more stimulating to write about?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:42 am

I’ve had 5 of those, vol-au-vent, chicken, crab, eisbein, waterzooi

If I’m to have a Greek-style oven roast I prefer lamb to chicken, the waterzooi and the vol au vent are ok but I wouldn’t pick them out

The eisbein I used to eat at Schnidt’s in Fitzrovia and more recently in Berlin was not cured the same as and English ham or bacon but more lightly, like salt pork, but I guess every butcher would have their own slight variation

Not counting lumpfish roe as I think from the somewhat rambling description they are talking about roe eaten fresh as we eat herring roes, not processed to form “caviar”

I really don’t much fancy the rest, except perhaps the herring and black bread

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 am

I dug out the Darina Allen book, and she has SIX recipes for Boxty, however none of them are what I'd describe as "fermented", just the liquid that is squeezed out of the grated potato left for 20 minutes so that the starch settles and the water can be drained off, the starch added back into the mix.

It does mention that traditionally it was a way of using up spuds that were past their prime, ("rotten" even), so could have fermented.

EDIT: Read them through again and realised that one of the BOILED boxty recipes (ptato dumplings boiled for an hour before being sliced and fried) says to cool the dumplings for several hours or overnight. Doesn't mention fermentation as being the object.

EDIT 2: Had to laugh, SIXTEEN pages of potato recipes in that book!

Postby cherrytree » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:00 pm

It was a very strange list of recipes I thought. Today coincidentally Felicity Cloake has Boxty as her recipe in the Feast supplement in the Guardian. It seemed a lot more authentic. I noticed it was another article by Dale Berning Sawa. I always find her articles a bit peculiar. Does anyone know anything about her?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:45 am

I made Darina Allen's* Boxty pancakes a couple of days ago, they looked really appetisingly browned when they came out of the pan.

The recipe suggested serving with HONEY or bacon, which reminded me of American Pancakes served with maple syrup and bacon. Which came first?

Anyway, I thought I'd go the whole hog and fry an egg too. Unfortunately tin the time the egg took to cook (I'd already fried the bacon...), they went an unappetising colour, so I didn't bother taking a pic :-(

Like a stodgy rosti really. Hardly an eye-opener or gourmet delight.

* type BOXTY in the search thingy, it's page 163.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Here’s Felicity’s Boxty experiment.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... ity-cloake

Re: The 12 European dishes everyone should try ...

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:51 pm

I haven't made most of those dishes but have made variations and versions.

Edited: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. A diam maecenas sed enim. In dictum non consectetur a. Sit amet nulla facilisi morbi tempus. Ridiculus mus mauris vitae ultricies leo. Arcu cursus vitae congue mauris rhoncus aenean vel elit. Amet nisl purus in mollis nunc sed id.

The Guardian editor/s could have on principle asked for at least one recipe from the British Isles which last time I looked are still geographically part of the greater continent of Europe. Really.

Last edited by ZeroCook on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm

ZeroCook wrote:What caught my attention though - and it's one of my pet peeves so I'm going to expound - is the very common by-ommision definition of Europe and European without the UK.

I don't read it that way at all, it's a piece in a UK newspaper and I see it as recommending to UK readers dishes they should try from other countries, so it would be a bit odd to include a UK dish

Postby aero280 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:10 pm

I've has Waterzooi, Eisbein and Boxty. All in the right country.

But when is Kaisersmarn and Germknödel? :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Recent posts to new thread with same title merged with the older version

Postby dennispc » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:50 pm

Greek style rooster was on the menu at a taverna we visited last year. Enjoyed it, but not distinctively different from roast chicken here.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox