Register

Baked potatoes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Baked potatoes

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:51 pm

...should have said "I would have thought that the calorie count would be the same for both frozen and freshly cooked baked potatoes if they were the same weight".

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 pm

We've just had a jacket potato shop replacing our fishmongers open up. While I'm sad the fishmongers has gone, although we still have one by the docks and Exmouth Mussel company, they do look quite good.

They cook homemade curries to top their potatoes. Also have vegan butter,mayo and cheese. On their specials board today as I walked by, they had smoked salmon, watercress and lemon mayo or sausages and onion gravy, both of which sound good

Postby dennispc » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 am

We’ll have jacket most weeks. This week we had them with prawns and coleslaw. Often with tuna mayo and baked beans, even then OH adds some cheese. Always with butter. Calories don’t count!

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 am

Petronius wrote:We’ll have jacket most weeks. This week we had them with prawns and coleslaw. Often with tuna mayo and baked beans, even then OH adds some cheese. Always with butter. Calories don’t count!

We have them most weeks too ... but rarely with a ‘topping’ other than a generous dollop of butter mashed well in and a sprinkling of seasalt crystals f the butter is, as it usually is, unsalted ... we have them to accompany sausages, pork chops, baked chicken joints etc and often with baked beans or sweet corn ... an easy supper with little clearing up or washing up .. great for a busy day.

Postby dennispc » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Lo and behold, just had a text from Devon daughter, could they come for tea? 'Jackets would be fine.' Seemples.

Postby Binky » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

A potato no-one else has mentioned using is the Maribel (we get ours at ASDA). It makes a lovely jacket spud, and even better oven chips. It isn't watery or floury, and mashes well too. A perfect potato :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:20 pm

WE had jacket spuds last night but local potatoes are not wonderful so I only make them if I can get good potatoes. We had a mel with our Danish friends on Sunday and she srved what she called oven potatoes with a sour cream dressing. They were horrified that M and I ate the skins and just didn't get the argument that that was the best bit. Kai said it had been in the ground and was therefore dirty.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Cyprus (or Egyptian) spuds are my favourite for floury ones which are usually sold with clumps of mud still on - Kai would love those ;) I learned that the mud keeps the flavour in so I'm less averse to buying mud.

When thinking of jackets, I always think of bitties of frazzled bacon - irrespective of the filling. First saw that in TGIF decades ago.

Postby scullion » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 pm

i prefer mud on, too, it stops them going mouldy, a good selection of soil bacteria dealing with the fungus does wonders.
i wish carrots wouldn't be washed (and scrubbed), as well - if you buy a bag of carrots they've started going black before you can get to the end, even if you decant them from the bag and kept them in the outhouse.

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:58 pm

I thought there was a baked potato thread somewhere , didn’t realise it was me that had started it !! I pinched an idea off Instagram tonight for tea, which was a baked sweet potato and I scooped the middles out , mixed with leftover greens , grated cheddar and I added some chopped chilli , then put back in the skins and baked

Postby Hickybank » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:26 am

Love baked spuds, bake till done, cut in half, scoop out flesh, mash in bowl with salt lots of Cheddar & butter, refill skins top with grated Cheddar bake till golden.
Food of the gods

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:47 am

Another use for the thermapen and similar thermometers - Zoe Laughlin says baked spuds aren’t done until the centre registers >95°C

Not an essential use but it saves squidging them, and handy when you are cooking at a different temperature because the oven is on, it does work

Postby Amyw » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 pm

Ah that’s interesting to know , my mum swears by her thermometer but I haven’t bought one ... yet

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:27 pm

I microwave mine... I really do prefer them that way.

I had one for dinner, a couple of nights ago, with obscene amounts of cheese, some sweetcorn, loads of black pepper, Italian seasoning and oak-smoked garlic butter. I enjoyed it a lot. Burnt the roof of my mouth, obviously.
Curiously, the potato had been lurking in my cupboard since... April? I would have expected it to have had 3ft long tendrils by now, but it didn't even have an eye. It was just a little soft. I survived.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:10 pm

herbidacious wrote:I microwave mine... I really do prefer them that way.

I had one for dinner, a couple of nigths ago, with obscene amounts of cheese, some sweetcorn, loads of black pepper, Italian seasoning and oak-smoked garlic butter. I enjoyed it a lot. Burnt the roof of my mouth, obviously.
Curiously, the potato had been lurking in my cupboard since... April? I would have expected it to have had 3ft long tendrils by now, but it didn't even have an eye. It was just a little soft. I survived.

Oooh Herbi, smoked garlic butter sound lush. I have a pack of unsmoked lurking which I shall have a stab at cold smoking at some point. :thumbsup for the mention.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Herbi, did you make your smoked garlic butter with butter, parsley, lemon etc? I must get some smoked garlic and give it a try. It sounds delicious, just like the rest of your meal.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:37 pm

No not this time. I ordered it from the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm on a buying spree last weekend.

I can never resist buying plaits of smoked garlic when I am in France (alas won't be able to this year :( ) tbh I have never found a way to use it that retains the smoky flavour. It's still worth having to perfume the kitchen with (and it looks nice.) I wonder that no one makes smoked garlic paste, but also I wonder if my issues with it is the reason why not- it just doesn't keep it's flavour when cooked with. (Other things I have tried smoking have similarly lost their smokyness when further cooked e.g. chickpeas!)

I think the best way to do it would be to smoke the butter itself if you have the equipment with which to cold smoke.

Alas the place where I used to buy delicious smoked butter has stopped.

This is the Isle of Wight butter:

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/product ... lic-butter

Incidentally I also bought some of these.

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/product ... -of-wight-

They are not easy to peel at all, and a bugger to cut into because very small and round. (Much smaller than in the photo.) Bit cross about that!

edit: ah reading again, maybe you are not supposed to cut the ends off. But you'd want to? I will experiment.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Herbi, what lovely things they have, I can see why you would have been tempted by the individual garlics, I'm finding them very tempting too but it does sound as if they're a bit too small for comfort.

Do you remember what you paid for delivery? I can't find their charges listed on their site.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:35 pm

They are not easy to peel at all, and a bugger to cut into because very small and round

To peel garlic easily (or perhaps, easier!):
1) put the blade of the knife flat on top of the "clove" and bash it with the heel of your hand. Then cut off the ends and it should peel easily.
OR
2) Soak the garlic cloves in water for half an hour.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:17 am

I did the former with these.

I usually find if you cut a garlic clove in half, the skin comes off quite easily.

I paid £4.95 P&P. I probably should have bought more things to justify it, but I was doing comfort shopping :? (I may regret this when I get my credit card bill...)
I keep forgetting to try the garlic stuffed olives.Will put them in a prominent place.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox